Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too late to start?

• 13-08-2012 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭

I'm 19 soon and will be beginning in UCD in just over a months time. I have a huge interest in basketball but have never played competitively before or trained seriously.
    I'd consider myself fairly good at the game for someone who doesn't play (that is, when I have the opportunity to play around).
    At 6'4, I have the height for the game and I'm also quite athletic. I do lack bulk which I'm not sure would affect my chances of becoming good at the sport.
    Anyway, when I do begin university, will there be a chance for me to play competitively at a lower standard to the top stream and improve my skill? Or is it just too late for me to take up the sport seriously?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

UCD itself will have a college team, but it will also have a first year team this might be a good place for you to start.

Also check out Dmbb.net its the website for Dublins male Leagues UCD Marian has a number of clubs in it some at lower standard levels like Div 4 which might be a good place for you to get experience.

Try contacting someone from UCD Marian via their website http://www.ucdmarian.com/

If youd prefer to play with a different club details can be found on dmbb.net so check it out.

Oh and on the bulk thing dont worry about it you might have the skills to be a guard or small forward and not a centre. In other words you wont find the game your suited to till you actually get palying time under your belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Best thing you can do is find a club to join outside of college to get that extra bit of training in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Absolutely not Eathrin. At 19 and going into college is a great time to get involved. UCD have a number of teams for all abilities I think, there is a Sports Expo in the 2nd week (i think) of term and there will be lads on the basketball team trying to get new lads to go down, talk to them and see if you like what you hear.

I myself am 23 and going into my last year in UCD, so it's too late for me :pac: I've never played for a team, my school didn't offer it, but I've been ballin' in my back garden since I was 6 and I always wondered how I would fare if I actually played. I wish I joined up in 1st year, so learn from my mistake and just go for it, give it a try for a while. Also, I'm 5"10, so at 6"4 you have no excuse, what's the worst that could happen? You can clean the boards and go for Ibaka-blocks from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

It's never too late to start!

I'm in UCD myself and theres loads of teams for different levels. theres plenty of people who just play casual pick-up games too.
    I don't play anymore (and played for a club separate to the college) but any time ive played casually with the UCD lads they've been really welcoming.

Theres no need to bulk up really unless your playing at a really competitive level. You'll build up your fitness gradually by playing too so don't worry about that. The good thing about you being 6' 4" is that teams would be able to play you at several positions.

Go for it!

Advertisement