Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Grad Primary Teaching Course

• 13-08-2012 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi Everyone,

I have been giving some serious thought to a career change at the moment.

My situation is that I am 24 years old, I have been working for almost 3 years now in a pretty good job. Have a 2.1 Degree as well as a 2.1 Masters. Unfortunately I did not do Honours Irish for the leaving cert so I would need to sit that next June (this does not really worry me but maybe I'm underestimating that!). For anyone wondering why I would leave a "pretty good job", its because I despise it!

My worries mostly relate to the jobs situation, I have seen some posts on here that suggest its pretty bleak out there, is it really as bad as this or if I give it time will that sort itself out?

For anyone that may have been in this situation how did you make sure this is what you wanted to do. I assume I should go ask in my local primary school for some work shadow experience?

Basically for anyone that may have been in this situation I would be really interested in hearing their story.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, it really is that bleak.Even subbing jobs are in extremely short supply and with cuts to resorce teaching ,getting worse.

Could you do some voluntary work in a school to help you get a good idea of today's classroom, before you commit to the post grad to see if teaching really is what you want to do? (It's a lot different from your own school days and even from the "other" side of the desk.)Then if it's what you really want-and you think you can manage financially, go for it.

Advertisement