Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

calling the gardai....

• 13-08-2012 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

so im coming home from work around midnight....crusing along at 90kmh on a 100kmh road (it was lashing rain) seemingly the only car around none ahead or behind me when suddenly i saw a reflection ahead....next thing i know im jamming on the breaks because there is a car with no lights crawling along at 50kmh..so proceded to follow him flashing my lights to get him to turn on his lights....we approached a roundabout and went seperate directions,,,,i decided to call the gardai fearing this persons safety and others who may not see him...

anyway to cut a long story short!!!!!!! was it the correct thing to do or should I have minded my own business?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Definitely right. Someone crawling on a road with no lights on is a danger to themselves and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

so im coming home from work around midnight....crusing along at 90kmh on a 100kmh road (it was lashing rain) seemingly the only car around none ahead or behind me when suddenly i saw a reflection ahead....next thing i know im jamming on the breaks because there is a car with no lights crawling along at 50kmh..so proceded to follow him flashing my lights to get him to turn on his lights....we approached a roundabout and went seperate directions,,,,i decided to call the gardai fearing this persons safety and others who may not see him...

anyway to cut a long story short!!!!!!! was it the correct thing to do or should I have minded my own business?

You done the right thing. You may have saved someones life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Completely right. Either the car is not suitable for driving at night (lights not working) or the driver is pissed out of his brains and hasn't noticed his lack of lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Only a fool breaks the two second rule. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭have_a_go_hero

policarp wrote: »

say what now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

say what now?

Its when you drop your breakfast roll while driving, 2sec to pick it back up again before you have to grab the steering wheel again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

policarp wrote: »
    twice on a wet day..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...anyway to cut a long story short!!!!!!! was it the correct thing to do or should I have minded my own business?

You were thinking of others and not yourself, erring on the side of caution.
    As others have said, you did the right thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

OP's username severely disappoints :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

You done the right thing. You may have saved someones life.

Hurts my brain :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

crapmanjoe wrote: »

Grammar Nazism hurts my brain :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Seriously? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

you done did the right thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How is it even a question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Are you still?

Of course you were correct. You should have gone further and beeped the **** out of him until the cnut woke the fcuk up and turned his/her lights on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

You definitely did the right thing OP. Earlier this year I had a pretty bad incident with an asshole driving pretty much on my bumper. He was in a van and had his full headlights on, I drive a polo so being much lower down than him his lights flooded my car, he would stop and fall back before coming up my ass at speed. There was another car infront of me driving slowly enough, but nothing major, this guy was pissed off because he wanted me to pass, which I wasnt going to do simply because it wasnt safe. This went on for a good five minutes. He then passed me out and took of like the hammers of hell.

I overtook when it was safe and fuming followed him to get the number plate, he was coming into a village and there was another car infront of him so he had to slow down, i manged to get the plate and one of my friends put their phone. I deliberated over it for a while and then rang the gardai, the only thing that was in my mind was what if he did that to a learner driver or an eldery person who might panic, he could cause a serious accident and kill someone because he was impatient and seemed perfectly happy to put lives in danger because of it.

I did wonder like you if I had done the right thing and posted in motors to ask. But look you might have saved someone's life tonight, or maybe everything would be fine, but seriously it's always better to be safe than sorry. Fair play OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    You definitely did the right thing OP. Earlier this year I had a pretty bad incident with an asshole driving pretty much on my bumper. He was in a van and had his full headlights on, I drive a polo so being much lower down than him his lights flooded my car, he would stop and fall back before coming up my ass at speed. There was another car infront of me driving slowly enough, but nothing major, this guy was pissed off because he wanted me to pass, which I wasnt going to do simply because it wasnt safe. This went on for a good five minutes. He then passed me out and took of like the hammers of hell.

I overtook when it was safe and fuming followed him to get the number plate, he was coming into a village and there was another car infront of him so he had to slow down, i manged to get the plate and one of my friends put their phone. I deliberated over it for a while and then rang the gardai, the only thing that was in my mind was what if he did that to a learner driver or an eldery person who might panic, he could cause a serious accident and kill someone because he was impatient and seemed perfectly happy to put lives in danger because of it.

I did wonder like you if I had done the right thing and posted in motors to ask. But look you might have saved someone's life tonight, or maybe everything would be fine, but seriously it's always better to be safe than sorry. Fair play OP.

Dont mean to pry, but you open by saying you had a bad accident but nowhere in your
    post do you mention an actual collision. Did you make the whole story up? or did you just
    almost have an accident due to the van drivers impatience ? Story doesnt seem to add
    up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Dont mean to pry, but you open by saying you had a bad accident but nowhere in your
    post do you mention an actual collision. Did you make the whole story up? or did you just
    almost have an accident due to the van drivers impatience ? Story doesnt seem to add
    up anyway.

Indecent, not accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

up anyway.

See below, and you can probably find the post I made in motors after it happened, think its called did I do the right thing or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

100% correct thing to do, just hope the Gardai acted on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Sitec wrote: »
    Indecent, not accident.

Incident, not indecent or even accident. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

what did the gardai say? just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

OP, were you driving in a lit up area at the time? I must admit - in the wintertime when I drive into town to get groceries, I've sometimes driven off in the town without putting my headlights on because it's very well lit up. But as soon as other drivers have alerted me I realised my error.

It sounds like this driver was not very coherent, especially when he/she didn't put on their lights after you passing them so you did the right thing!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Had to ring in a drunk driver on the m50 last year. It was like the opening scene of platoon. Gardai appearing from everywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How is it even a question.

The question mark (?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

SocSocPol wrote: »

They probably didn't i had to call them last week over an illegally parked car which also had no insurance disc.

they told me they couldn't do anything as it was in a private estate, (fair enough)

but they said to call back with the direction it was heading in when it was on the public road again,

sure enough the driver got in and drove away (also driving on their own with L plates up)

i rang them back as i was instructed earlier to be told stop wasting their time (they didn't even ask where we were) i just hope the learner doesn't hit someone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I was walking through town the other night and saw this guy lying on the ground getting his head kicked in by about 5 or 6 other big guys, I decided to call the guards. I'm just wondering, was this the right thing to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

This is a scam as well. Maybe not in your case but I know of cases where cúnts (what else could you call them) have their lights off in near blind spots etc hoping for a whack in the back and a nice bit of compo. Latest I heard was of one just as you come off the Palmerstown exit towards Palmerstown from Blanch. Careful peeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

hoodwinked wrote: »
    SocSocPol wrote: »

They probably didn't i had to call them last week over an illegally parked car which also had no insurance disc.

they told me they couldn't do anything as it was in a private estate, (fair enough)

but they said to call back with the direction it was heading in when it was on the public road again,

sure enough the driver got in and drove away (also driving on their own with L plates up)

i rang them back as i was instructed earlier to be told stop wasting their time (they didn't even ask where we were) i just hope the learner doesn't hit someone!

You reported someone in a private estate for having no insurance displayed!? And for having 'L' plates on the car?

Were they parked across your driveway or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Jaxxy wrote: »
    You reported someone in a private estate for having no insurance displayed!? And for having 'L' plates on the car?

Were they parked across your driveway or something?

they were parked dangerously and illegally, its hard to explain unless you saw it, and after many attempts to find the owner of the car we rang towing companies, who suggested ring the local gardaí.

but they were driving solo on a public road with no insurance and no full licence (saw L plates and found out afterwards they are indeed not full licensed driver hence no insurance "it was too expensive")

but yes they shouldn't have been on public roads with no insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭have_a_go_hero

crazygeryy wrote: »
    what did the gardai say? just curious.

He asked some details like,
    • what car it was and
    • which direction was it heading and
    if i was still behind it.

He then thanked me for reporting it and said he would "get a car out there"

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

I wonder if they caught up with him. I hope so, and he didn't cause an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Mate of mine came across something similar one night. He had to overtake and bring the car to a stop. The driver was pissed out of his mind. Took the keys and left them in the police station.

Mate of mine came across something similar one night. He had to overtake and bring the car to a stop. The driver was pissed out of his mind. Took the keys and left them in the police station.
    That was a brave move on his part, he could have driven up the back of his car. Fair play to him all the same, he could have prevented a serious accident.

Zoria wrote: »
    That was a brave move on his part, he could have driven up the back of his car. Fair play to him all the same, he could have prevented a serious accident.

He was driving an old banger that he used for work and back.
    The cops called him later that night to thank him. They found the guy lying in the middle of the road passed out in a puddle after trying to push his car home.

• Advertisement

He was driving an old banger that he used for work and back.
    The cops called him later that night to thank him. They found the guy lying in the middle of the road passed out in a puddle after trying to push his car home.
    I hope the court came down on him like a tonne of bricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Zoria wrote: »
    I hope the court came down on him like a tonne of bricks.

He probably had to resign his ministerial position but retained his full salary and got a pension for his dissapointment.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    He probably had to resign his ministerial position but retained his full salary and got a pension for his dissapointment.

Haha that's actually not too far from the truth... but on a more local level.

Advertisement