Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-mailing about renting a house - what to say

Options
  • 13-08-2012 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

So I'm starting college in a few weeks and I've been looking at houses to rent in Dublin and I need to arrange viewings. I've been looking on Daft & seen a few ones I like, what do I say in the e-mail to the person who placed the advertisement? Do I name a day that I want to view it and ask if it's okay, or do they tell me a day? Do I need to include any personal information (like age, the fact I'll be a student, where I'm from, what sort of person I am etc..)? If so, what information do I include? I want to know what bus routes are close by, is that the sort of thing I ask in the e-mail or wait till I'm viewing it to find out?

I'm looking at rooms in house shares where other people already live. I also want to ask - what exactly happens at viewings? Like do the people who live there show you around or what? If you like the place, do you just say at the end that you'll take it, or how does the whole thing work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I find generally it can be better to call rather than to email. Some places do specify email however. Just ask them if the room is still available and state that if it is you would like to come and view it. Ask them when it would suit to do this. You can ask them if it suits them on such and such a date..

Some places will have specific dates/times organized to show people the room. Other places will let you arrange a date/time that suits you both. You should be able to organize several viewings over a day or two that suits you.

You don't need to say much/anything about yourself when calling/emailing. You can do that when you view the room as well as finding out about your potential flatmates.

You can just mention that you're xx old guy and that you're looking for a room from whatever date.

The viewing itself is straightforward. Someone will show the room and the rest of the house and facilities. Sometimes everyone else who lives there will be present, more often the others will be working, at college etc. It only takes a few minutes

Make sure to ask any questions you might have.
    Ask about which bills there are and how much they generally tend to be.
    Ask about buses, supermarkets etc if you need to.

You'll generally get a good or bad feeling about a place very quickly.

In the past whenever accomodation was in big demand you often had to hand over a deposit at the viewing if you were interested but this is no longer the case.
    Generally you say that you will think about it and that you have a few other places to see. Tell them you will call them later that day or the next day to let them know.

If its the perfect room/house of course you can tell them you want to take it there and then. They will usually have other people coming to see the room and so will tell you they will call you if you are successful.

Some landlords will pressure you to accept a place on the spot but don't do so. You will probably have to few quite a lot of places before finding a suitable room.

Advertisement