Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get my deposit and first month back?

Options
  • 13-08-2012 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I have been looking at a place and have put down a deposit and first month. I haven't signed anything yet.

Since then I've got cold feet on the place and am wondering if I can get the money back since no contract has been signed?

Or am I screwed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

ding_dong wrote: »
    I have been looking at a place and have put down a deposit and first month. I haven't signed anything yet.

Since then I've got cold feet on the place and am wondering if I can get the money back since no contract has been signed?

Or am I screwed?

You could well be. If you've nothing signed, is there any evidence at all that you have given the money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Did you pay subject to lease? You are entitled to the money back if it was subject to contract.
    See this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73169008

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

On what basis did you pay a first month's rent alongside a deposit- without entering into a contract. At very least it would seem there is an implicit contract. It sounds like a mess one way or the other- you need to talk to the landlord asap, explain (for whatever reason) that you have changed your mind, and as you have not yet entered into a contract, want your money back. Let us know what happens. It does sound like we don't have all the information here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Do you mean "How bad have I screwed the landlord?".

If you have morals, you should pay the landlord at least one months rent, as he will have to find a new tenant now. You could ask him nicely, maybe he will refund you the lot less some small inconvenience/re-listing fee.

How would you feel, if after paying a deposit and first months rent, the landlord told you to get lost? You'd be on here screaming for a solicitor.

by the way, you do have a contract with the LL.

Advertisement