Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literature has changed the world

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

karaokeman wrote: »
    Discuss.

Russian literature would be an interesting place to start, in terms of literature giving birth to revolutions.

I'm not an expert in this area, but I know a little about Dostoyevsky, and one of the questions often asked of his works is how much they influenced later political movements.

However, in his biography of Dostoyevsky, Joseph Frank sort of argues the opposite, that the major works are actually responses to existing ideologies or radicals.

But I'd say it's probably a little bit of both. It's hard to imagine a novel like Demons not being spoken about by early student revolutionaries, etc.

Advertisement