Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fadas in Usernames.

Options
  • 13-08-2012 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Dear Boards,

Is it possible to have a fada as part of your username?
    When registering I atempted to use the username 'An Coileán' this was not allowed and I was told that it did not meet the Username Guidelines.

I read the Guidelines and there was nothing there that would prevent the use of 'An Coileán'

I assumed that the problem was the Fada so I entered 'An Coilean' instead and sure enough that was accepted.
    Does this site not allow fadas in usernames?

The reason I am asking is that I want my Fada back, 'An Coileán' means the cub, An Coilean dose'nt mean anything.

Le Meas
    An Coileán

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

It's very hard to describe patterns to non-technical people, we do as best as we can with the guidelines but for a detailed explanation we only allow the following:
    • A-Z
    • a-z
    • 0-9
    • Limited punctuation of <space> ( ) , - _ '

There are no diacritics allowed on any letters. Any existing username with one is from a long time ago. Our character encoding for usernames needs a complete overhaul but it is no small task. It's on our to-do list and after it's done we may be in a position to offer the full range of characters for usernames but for now you're stuck with the list above.

If you would like your username changed to something more meaningful then please drop me a private message and I will change it for you tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Hi Danny

Thanks for the responce. I think it worth pointing out that Irelands biggest website should really be able to cope with the national language, though I accept that there are tecnical issues with this.

I will leave the name as it is for now, though if it could be changed when ever you do get around to overhauling the charachter encoding for Usernames, that would be great.

Le Meas
    An Coileán

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement