Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Types of wood

Options
  • 13-08-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to make map of the world using a scroll, saw. Approx size will be 5ft x 4 ft. I would like to use a wood will allow the details of the countries and continents and also that can be stained at the end to give a nice 'wood look', if that makes any sense.
    My question is what type of wood to use for this???

Thanks in Advance for suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

depends on what thickness you want it,but anything like that I've seen was made of balsa wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭robh71

Thanks

Prob no thicker than 10 mm really. DO you know where I could get such types of wood in DUblin?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

sorry im based down the country so i couldn't help you with that one,i would imagine someone else on here would have a good idea of suppliers in Dublin ,apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If you want 10mm you would have to get somebody to rip 25mm boards and then thickness them to 10mm.Poplar of any kind is a good low cost hardwood that takes a stain well.
    You might be better off to buy a sheet of good quality 10mm baltic birch plywood ( not the cheap stuff from the far east ) to save cost and hassle. ?

thanks recipio

Will that be easy to cut using scroll saw for intricate cuts? will this stain up nicely leaving a nice grain finish??? (as you may guess im pretty green in this area. Just know what i want and how i want it to look - just unsure of what I should get)

• Advertisement

No worries, thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I think Birch Ply would be perfect, it will allow for intricate cuts, and be alot more stable than a 10mm solidwood piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

robh71 wrote: »
    thanks recipio

Will that be easy to cut using scroll saw for intricate cuts? will this stain up nicely leaving a nice grain finish??? (as you may guess im pretty green in this area. Just know what i want and how i want it to look - just unsure of what I should get)

Yes, Baltic ( or Russian ) ply has a light birch veneer on the surface and would stain well. The edges of good quality ply should have a nice layer of veneers not the horrible thick core you get in cheapo ply.A scroll saw would handle 10mm no problem. I'd think a little practice with a good spiral blade would get you started. ?

How about bubinga. Would that be easy to cut and is it easy to get in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Bubinga is an expensive exotic wood. It would be hard to obtain in Ireland but I think the Carpentry Store in Naas may have some. It would be in planks though, maybe 8' long, 2" thick and in various widths.

• Advertisement
Advertisement