Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original Song: Going Back

• 13-08-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

There is probably more wrong that right with this mix so don’t hold back with your comments. It was a bit rushed with not much overdubbing to correct the musicianship. There was about 40min mixing done at the end.

We have the RAW data but are having compatibility issues with Pro Tools and other DAW’s.

The question is; is it worth giving this to somebody to mix/master this or should we spend more time getting the recording right? Also what do you think of the song itself?

http://soundcloud.com/search?q%5Bfulltext%5D=wellfish

Tks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

;)Always get the recording right - I mix mostly and a 'repaired' track is never as strong as one played well. In fact I'd say 75% of my work mixing is actually making the track sound like it was played well - both in terms of timing and tuning.

Think of it like a bone in your leg being broken - it will most likely repair and work well, but it will never be as strong as one never damaged.

At least give a recording enough respect to perform it well.
    Frank11 wrote: »
    There is probably more wrong that right with this mix so don’t hold back with your comments. It was a bit rushed with not much overdubbing to correct the musicianship. There was about 40min mixing done at the end.

We have the RAW data but are having compatibility issues with Pro Tools and other DAW’s.

The question is; is it worth giving this to somebody to mix/master this or should we spend more time getting the recording right? Also what do you think of the song itself?

http://soundcloud.com/search?q%5Bfulltext%5D=wellfish

Tks.

The song is grand by the way ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Needs a good bit of timing fixing but the core song is good.
    Singer has a bit of Neil Diamond about his phrasing which is really nice.
    The mix is very flat and cloudy. The guitar, especially sounds dull (and like an amp sim?)
    The drummer doesn't really lift for the choruses very well. The chorus needs to be huge.
    I am quiet enough for the next couple of weeks if you want to give me the PT session I will have a look at it.
    PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Frank11

Thanks for the feed abck above. I was sick of family and friends over celebrating the song with no constructive criticism at all.

@ Trackmix: can you correct all you stated above with the song as is? i would be interested in what you have in mind for this. The keys were also recorded in midi.

Advertisement