Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Tax) Benefits of Marriage

Options
  • 13-08-2012 11:02am

A most unromantic question:
    What are the financial pros and cons of getting married?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Ixelles wrote: »
    A most unromantic question:
    What are the financial pros and cons of getting married?

Depends on your circumstances. Income? Both working? Children? What basis of assessment are you going to take? Like in nearly all aspects of the income tax system, each case is unique.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it2.html

Depends on your circumstances. Income? Both working? Children? What basis of assessment are you going to take? Like in nearly all aspects of the income tax system, each case is unique.

Thanks for the link, very helpful. So, if there were a few years where one partner had quite low income (say, a self-employed woman after having a baby) it might be worth transferring credits to the spouse working full-time.

Might work this into a marriage proposal eventually :)
    'Give me your hand, your heart, your body, your soul, your tax credits...'

Ixelles wrote: »

Thanks for the link, very helpful. So, if there were a few years where one partner had quite low income (say, a self-employed woman after having a baby) it might be worth transferring credits to the spouse working full-time.

Might work this into a marriage proposal eventually :)
    'Give me your hand, your heart, your body, your soul, your tax credits...'

I would love to see that. :)

In a case like you describe above, it could be beneficial. There is also the home carers tax credit to consider if applicable in joint assessment cases.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it66.html

Thanks - very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

In a case like you describe above, it could be beneficial. There is also the home carers tax credit to consider if applicable in joint assessment cases.

So if in my case I work my wife doesnt she minds the kid. I transfer money to her each week she could claim tax credits like as if it was a wage I was paying her?

• Advertisement

So if in my case I work my wife doesnt she minds the kid. I transfer money to her each week she could claim tax credits like as if it was a wage I was paying her?

She can't claim any credits or reliefs on money you transfer to her as its not assessable income.
    Think you might be looking at the home carers tax credit wrong. The home carers tax credit is added to your credits to reduce the tax you pay, if you and your wife meet the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

so if she earns nothing we get the full tax credits? is this per child? Im assuming not as it doesnt mention anything about it.

I just looked at the Citizens Information page on legal prerequisites for a civil partnership and was surprised to find the following:
    To be legally entitled to become a civil partner, both of you must fulfill all of the following requirements at the time the registration of the civil partnership takes place. Both parties must:
    Be of the same sex - for legal purposes, a person's gender is deemed to be the one he/she had at birth, even if he/she subsequently had medical procedures to alter his/her gender.

Really? Hadn't realised that before. I thought it was another option available in parallel to marriage. In several European countries, and in Australia and probably elsewhere, you can opt for a civil union regardless of gender.

No doubt I'm way behind on a debate that has already taken place elsewhere but I must admit that this aspect of the civil partnership story passed me by.

So same-sex couples can't get married and opposite-sex couples can't have a civil union. Not exactly a giant leap forward in equality is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

We are worse off since getting married as my husband doesn't get his dole now cause I'm earning must be a certain amount and he gets no dole???? Mad!!! So should have stayed single??

bewhiched wrote: »
    We are worse off since getting married as my husband doesn't get his dole now cause I'm earning must be a certain amount and he gets no dole???? Mad!!! So should have stayed single??

New thread: the (tax) benefits of divorce....:)

• Advertisement

Haa haa looking that way????? Hard to believe though?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

bewhiched wrote: »

You don't have to be married for this to be the case, just cohabiting. And cohabiters don't even get the tax credits which you do

My god really that's mad too didn't know that I always find a lot of that tax jargon is very hard to understand!!! Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Main benefit is that you are one person for tax purposes so interspousal transfers are all tax free.

This applies up to the date of Divorce and operates after death on inheritance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Main benefit is that you are one person for tax purposes so interspousal transfers are all tax free.

This applies up to the date of Divorce and operates after death on inheritance.

Actually if you divorce and do not remarry you can maintain that status if both spouses agree and it is to your benefit.

From www.revenue.ie
    What happens if a couple divorce?

Where a couple obtain an Irish divorce the provisions as outlined above will apply to any maintenance arrangements made by order of the Court. This means that:

Maintenance payments are made without deduction of tax
    The spouse who makes the payments is entitled to a tax deduction for them
    The spouse who receives the maintenance is taxable on the payments
    Both spouses are taxed as single persons.

A divorced couple also have the option of being treated as a married couple for income tax purposes if:

They are both resident in the State and
    Neither spouse has remarried.

Seems to be something that is not well known, when I asked the revenue about it, they said no, then looked it up and informed me, "you learn something new every day!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Stheno wrote: »
    Actually if you divorce and do not remarry you can maintain that status if both spouses agree and it is to your benefit.

From www.revenue.ie

Seems to be something that is not well known, when I asked the revenue about it, they said no, then looked it up and informed me, "you learn something new every day!"

It almost never happens.

The reason is that the Court will divide the assets upon divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I work full time, my wife has been home the past 18 months minding our two children so we transferred her credits to me. She is currently looking for a p/t job to keep her sanity as much as anything else. She will likely be only earning a small amount, probably 100-150 per week if and when she finds a suitable job. I earn almost 50k, would we be better off transferring her credits back to her?

mickeyk wrote: »
    I work full time, my wife has been home the past 18 months minding our two children so we transferred her credits to me. She is currently looking for a p/t job to keep her sanity as much as anything else. She will likely be only earning a small amount, probably 100-150 per week if and when she finds a suitable job. I earn almost 50k, would we be better off transferring her credits back to her?

You do not have her full tax credits and rate band as its not possible to transfer the whole lot. Your wife still has her paye credit and 23800 of her rate band. The paye credit will cover 8250 for the year without her paying any paye on her earnings.
    So if her yearly earnings are likely to be under 8250 Euro, then leave the credits and rate band as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

You do not have her full tax credits and rate band as its not possible to transfer the whole lot. Your wife still has her paye credit and 23800 of her rate band. The paye credit will cover 8250 for the year without her paying any paye on her earnings.
    So if her yearly earnings are likely to be under 8250 Euro, then the credits and rate band as they are.
    It will be under 8k I reckon thank you for that very informative.

Advertisement