Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freaks with laser pointers

• 13-08-2012 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, so last week a couple of times we spotted a green dot/line moving around the wall of our sitting room, it was clearly a green laser pointer, but we assumed it was just some kids outside messing around with it.

Then around midnight on Saturday night, watching TV with the missus, it appears on the wall of the house next door, blatantly being pointed in through the windows and they've a young baby in the house.

So we take a look outside, and cos it's dark we can now trace the beam all the way back to its source, coming from the back garden of a house on a different road, slightly higher than our houses. Could still be kids at nearly midnight, but then we see the person moving around and going into his own house, and it's a man at least in his twenties! Then he goes out and starts pointing at the houses on his own road.

W.T.F.

I can understand someone getting a new toy and just waving it around once. But this is some freak blatantly pointing it into houses on a number of different occasions. Who does that?

Obviously if I see him doing it again I'm going to go around and ask him WTF he's doing, but I'm really looking for the AH answer here. Blast him with a laser beam? Burn down his house?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Call around to his house and pull out all his teeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Best leave him be, he's probably calibrating his sniper sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Attach laser to head of shark, break in & put shark in toilet.

That'll learn him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Green lasers are illegal, call the gardai. That'll learn him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Buy six laser pointers.
    Ruin his day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's very annoying, but not dangerous. Now if he were to stand on the threshold of Runway 28 at Dublin Airport and shine the light into the cockpit of landing planes, that's be dangerous. Or even drivers. Believe me, there are much more antisocial things he could be doing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭I_Mr_Euphony

Next time you see it in your window, get a big mirror and send it right back at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Report it

The garda helicopter was targeted last year by a similar waster so inform the local station, they'd love to get anyone like this
    seamus wrote: »
    I'm really looking for the AH answer here.

Let the local 17 stone sergeant give him a well deserved beating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Many year's ago some tool was pointing a red laser pointer at my face from his house and I went up to his door to have a word. He denied it down to the ground and it turned into an "oh yes, you did/oh no I didn't" argument. Probably not my brightest idea but I felt it needed to be done, plus i was walking my two german shepherds at the time so I had the moral upper hand

Maybe buy your own laser pointer and return fire next time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Well, when he pointed it in your sitting room, it interfered with you're private life, and encroached on your private property.

That IMO, gives you a perfectly justifiable reason to politely knock in on him, kindly ask him not to do it again, and warn him that if he doesn't heed your 'advice' you will be asking the Garda their opinion on the whole thing.

If i understand right, they're illegal in this country anyway (open to correction on this).

Can't be fairer than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Could be a home made long range microphone. You can make one cheaply with a Light dependent resistor and a laser pointer. Thats the only explanation I can give.

I can't defend the indefensible. There are a lot of sad, mad and just phucked up people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Burn his retinas with your own high powered helium argon laser.

Ghandee wrote: »
    If i understand right, they're illegal in this country anyway (open to correction on this).

Can't be fairer than that.

Red ones are ok. Green, blue etc are not

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

Make sure all your neighbours know it's him who's doing it

Then get your own laser and go crazy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Green lasers are illegal, call the gardai. That'll learn him

This is interesting. Particularly, because they (green ones) are on offer on adverts.ie:

http://www.adverts.ie/1517512
    http://www.adverts.ie/1912662 (this one even says "can hit planes")
    http://www.adverts.ie/1785986
    http://www.adverts.ie/1665703
    http://www.adverts.ie/1129843

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Why whats the difference? i.e why red ok but not blue/green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

You can use these here in Ireland for hunting 100% legally so I dont see how a green smaller laser would be illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Find out what tv he has an buy a remote that will work for it. Keep changing the channel on his tv and turning it on in the middle of the night :cool:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

1) Go to curtain shop

2) ???

3) Profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

notnumber wrote: »

Because the green and blue lasers are more powerful than red. You can get away with looking directly into a red laser source without damaging your eyes. But the green and blue are like staring directly at the sun but you don't feel the damage as your eyes don't feel pain. It's how they can slice your eye open in laser eye ops and you don't feel at thing.

• Advertisement

notnumber wrote: »

On phone so the link might not work:
    http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/employment_and_social_policy/health_hygiene_safety_at_work/c11151_en.htm#KEY

At the bottom of that page it gives the keys points.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

On phone so the link might not work:
    http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/employment_and_social_policy/health_hygiene_safety_at_work/c11151_en.htm#KEY

At the bottom of that page it gives the keys points. Red lasers have a wavelength between 100nm and 1nm so are legal

So let me get this straight:

Green and blue lightsabers can kill, but the red ones pass harmlessly through any obiwans they touch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I remember a little while back there was some clarification received from the DOJ regarding laser pointers and Airsoft (as people were using their on their gear) -

Lasers that meet the following criteria are legal in Ireland:

- lasers of less than 5 milli Watts
    - in the light frequencies of 630 to 680nm

So this automatically rules out anything which is not red. I know you can get some green under 5mw, but I think they fall outside the legal light frequencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

It doesn't matter what colour they are, it matters how much power they output
    , not sure of the limit for Ireland but its very low

Edit:What Oisin said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I bring my red pointer to my grandmothers house every christmas and watch the cats chase the dot.
    Its a great laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Seen some muppet pointing them at the train i was on once.

Once I shined one onto the screen of some young lad in an internet cafe in south korea. the lad came out after and chase me but he didn't go very fast. probably the only exercise he got all year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

sadly the green ones are the best for stargazing.

the ability to point out objects in the sky with them is really handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Have a friendly discussion about the error of his ways that ends up with him eating the laser gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I see there's 70% off laser pointers on the advert below this thread :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I bring my red pointer to my grandmothers house every christmas and watch the cats chase the dot.
    Its a great laugh :D

We have loadsafun watching the dogs chase the red one. We usually guide the light along the floor and behind a unit then the dogs stand at the unit for about 15 minutes waiting for light to come out :D

I am easily amused :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Seamus, send the prick an anonymous letter assuring him he will have his legs broken if he doesn't stop. Go into detail and say that you have an Eastern European gang on standby.

He'll only take your civil approach as a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

We have loadsafun watching the dogs chase the red one. We usually guide the light along the floor and behind a unit then the dogs stand at the unit for about 15 minutes waiting for light to come out :D

I am easily amused :p

Tried it on my dog once, his eyes were just following the dot as his head rested on his front paws. Couldnt be less interested. He was just: 'Eh, whatever, let the stupid cat chase it' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,497 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can get away with looking directly into a red laser source without damaging your eyes.
    Using a red one on you eyes is not good for at least 5 minutes. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote: »
    Using a red one on you eyes is not good for at least 5 minutes. :(
    It's more of a case that you will blink before a 5mW red laser does lasting damage. (staring at it is a different matter)

Green lasers are usually Infra-red lasers with dye pumping / frequency doubling or whatever. A log of cheapo Chinese ones don't have good filters so the big danger is the invisible infra-red - you could suffer permanent damage before you realised it.

Like most things they are safe enough in the hands of responsible adults. But too many mouthbreathers out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Two guys were shining one into my living room once, so I pulled my pants down and pressed my arse cheeks up against the window. They never looked in my window again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

piss in his eyes and drink his tea and coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

CommanderC wrote: »
    Two guys were shining one into my living room once, so I pulled my pants down and pressed my arse cheeks up against the window. They never looked in my window again.

Bummer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭ByronB

That's true, wonder why only the red are legal? I remember a guy who had the 3 colors (red blue and green, weak ones) and they were identical bar colour difference, so does anyone know why the others are banned?

Maybe red is just nicer (joke).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Print off a copy of this thread and shove it through his letter box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Start welding outside his house for the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

BLAST HIM WITH LOVE

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ilovemyusername

Do you live somewhere in Louth by any chance? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

ByronB wrote: »
    That's true, wonder why only the red are legal? I remember a guy who had the 3 colors (red blue and green, weak ones) and they were identical bar colour difference, so does anyone know why the others are banned?

Maybe red is just nicer (joke).

Whether or not a laser can be harmful to the eyes depends on the wavelength (which determines the colour) and intensity (measured in Watts).

Red lasers are typically within the safe limits of those parameters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'd go out and buy loads and shine them right back at him. Then shoot him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

OP.. You need to shoop his ass!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭ByronB

Whether or not a laser can be harmful to the eyes depends on the wavelength (which determines the colour) and intensity (measured in Watts).

Red lasers are typically within the safe limits of those parameters.

That's true, the blue lasers are generally the most powerful and dangerous because they can easily be got in power outputs 200 times more than red laser pens. The greens are brighter and the most annoying by far, even the "weak" green ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jonnyrollix

seamus wrote: »
    Right, so last week a couple of times we spotted a green dot/line moving around the wall of our sitting room, it was clearly a green laser pointer, but we assumed it was just some kids outside messing around with it.

where this happening ????? i have hasd same ting , we should team up , is it dublin and which [postcode

Advertisement