Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seitan recipes

Options
  • 13-08-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi, newish vegan here (since April)..
    Does anyone have any good seitan recipes? I tried the method mentioned previously here on boards (making it with Odlum's strong bread flour and washing out the starch) It was surprisingly easy. I made a baked seitan loaf with it last night, tasted nearly exactly like sausage meatloaf.

Here's the recipe for that:

1/2 cup butter beans, cooked/canned, drained
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 1/2 tsp veg stock powder
    wheat gluten washed from 1kg Odlum's strong bread flour
    1/3 cup nutritional yeast
    2 tsp crispy onion bits
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp smoked paprika

Chuck the lot in a bowl, mix together with a hand-held blender (making sure the beans are pureed), knead for a couple of minutes, shape into an oval (use a little extra flour if too wet). Place the loaf on an oiled sheet of foil and enclose it, place in a baking pan with 1 inch water, cover pan with foil, bake for 1 hr 45 mins at 200 C.
    Serve with the usual (mushroom gravy, peas, spuds etc). Tastes just like Granny used to make :pac:

It was odd because since changing to a vegan diet, I've actually avoided foods that used meat replacements, preferring my vegan food just to taste completely different rather than vaguely the same; the degree to which this did taste similar was uncanny though.
    I'm sure I'll be making other things with seitan (especially as I have meat-loving relatives coming to stay in a couple of weeks), so what else can I do with it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 skylarkza

Personally I love the seitan BBQ ribs in Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson. There is a very similar recip on the fat free vegan blog though (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/05/barbecued-seitan-ribz.html).

There are also a ton of other seitan recipes there that I can't wait to try - just search for recipes using the search box in the right hand column.

And I too used to poo-poo meat substitutes until I started making my own. I think I just find it more satisfying and comforting to know exactly what went into and happened to the non-meat I've made myself.

Advertisement