Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Sci-Fi & Fantasy Goodreads Group

• 13-08-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Does anybody else here use Goodreads to keep track of their books? Since I switched to my Kindle, and therefore not adding to my bookshelves i've been using Goodreads.com to keep track of what ive been reading, and i've found it very useful. Would anybody on this forum be interested in starting up a Group? I know this forum already gives details on whats is being read by the forum participants but Goodreads can take that info and make it very user friendly.

Just an idea i had

Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Was actually just thinking of this myself the other day, I'd definitely join.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So it's a more organised version of "What are you Reading.." ? If so, then yes it's a good idea! I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of mine but this sounds a very good way for the group here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Yep. I'm on goodreads myself. Sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Ok then,

The group has been set up and and can be found here
    Any feedback or thoughts are appreciated, i've not belonged to any Goodreads groups before so i'm setting it up with out knowing the full functionality of them.

Andrew

Just joined up there. Put a few of the books I've read in there but far too many for me to put too much effort in for now.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Just joined up there. Put a few of the books I've read in there but far too many for me to put too much effort in for now.

It was the same for me when i started, and i decided to just put them in as I read them and not bother with the books that i read prior to signing up. Its worked out well for me, i like the fact that it shows when i started and finished all my books. I just need to get to that magic 20 so it'll start giving me recommendations.

Ok, I've joined now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The android app that lets you scan the barcode of the back of the book to enter it is bloody handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Just joined the group. Have been on goodreads for a few months but haven't really made use of it.

So will recommendations now be given based on the groups' reviews or how does it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just joined there. Added a selection of things I've read based on what it showed in my selected categories but it's fairly unrepresentative of all my reading so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I've finally signed up, been meaning to for a while. Ill stick up a few later. I see there's an app for iPhone too.
    I just noticed on the app that your location automatically gets filled in when you create a profile. I had to use my browser to delete and turn off my location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Oh dear god what have ye gotten me involved in... just lost an hour to going through mate's bookshelves and mentally going "read it, read it, read it, ooh must read that..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Had to keep looking at the bookshelves to remind myself of what I've read, very handy , been meaning to check it out for a while myself. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Joined! (Under "Conor" :))

Have wasted a bit of time marking books as read and too many as want to read!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

signed up to the group last night, hopefully it will give me some new books to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I joined (I'm Alastair). Haven't used Goodreads before, any tips?

Trojan wrote: »
    I joined (I'm Alastair). Haven't used Goodreads before, any tips?

Only one. Make sure you've plenty of time ahead of you when you start adding books. Before you know it you'll have been on the site half the day without realising. Also there's a good Android app by the goodreads team. Presumably there's one for iphone too. Other than that it's all pretty self explanatory and just a matter of clicking on everything to see what happens. That's my advice for everything in life though, poke it and see what happens ;0)

I've added a bunch - the scanner was pretty handy!

I also created a discussion item for the group :)

gufnork wrote: »
    Only one. Make sure you've plenty of time ahead of you when you start adding books.
    Finally finished adding the list of books I've had on my board's reading log. Brings me up to 247 books from the last few years. Not sure how well I remember books from before then... we'll see if I add those. Won't have the start/finish dates like I did with the others (which is a good feature for seeing how much you read in a year).

Looking at adding some "to-read" books from the suggestions, still in input mode. Thankfully (?!) I still have ~60-70% of the books I've read on shelves or in storage here so there's only a few that I'll miss out on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Just joined there (under "Cillian"). Only saw this thread today. :) Will delve through the group after work later!

For some reason, Goodreads is blocked in China :S Couldn't update what I was reading.

If anyone wants to get mod rights for the forum let me know. Im in the middle of 4th year and will be having to give my reading for fun up for a few months (mostly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

mcgovern wrote: »
    For some reason, Goodreads is blocked in China :S Couldn't update what I was reading.

Strong VPN or Freegate my friend. :) Gotta love China.

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Strong VPN or Freegate my friend. :) Gotta love China.

I could get Facebook through my companies VPN, but Goodreads wouldn't even load through that. Never heard of Freegate, will have to try that out next time I'm there, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just saw this, will join up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Joined. Haven't used goodreads in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Just looking at what everyone is reading make me add a whole lot more to my "to read" list. Great idea setting up a group. I love to go into a bookshop and browse (yes I usually pick a book based on either it's cover, title or tag line) but when I go in looking for a specific book, I always forget. This will be handy to keep an eye out (esp during sale time!).

Advertisement