Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ninja 250R recall

• 13-08-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Anyone else get a letter in the post? I got one today. Interesting.
    On eligible units of Ninja 250R models, the vehicle down sensor's operation may be affected by vibration through its mounting bracket under certain operating conditions. This could cause the engine to stop running.

The solution is to replace the down sensor bracket.

What is a down sensor? Think it's a sensor to switch off the engine if the bike goes on its side. Aka tipover/TO sensor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Do you know if this just relevant to 2012 Ninjas or all Ninjas since 2008?

Mine in 09, doesn't seem to have ever been effected affected to my knowledge.

My guess would be that a down sensor is either, as you suggest, to switch off the engine if the bike goes on its side or possibly to switch off the engine when in gear and the side stand goes down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Do you know if this just relevant to 2012 Ninjas or all Ninjas since 2008?

Mine in 09, doesn't seem to have ever been effected to my knowledge.

My guess would be that a down sensor is either, as you suggest, to switch off the engine if the bike goes on its side or possibly to switch off the engine when in gear and the side stand goes down.

Well this is a 2010, not 2012. A quick google shows some 2009 models affected in places. I can't say for sure...but I'd say they're identical bikes. Although, if you got no letter, maybe not. Call Bikeworld to see...they're actually the ones who posted the letter.

I can't only recall my engine cutting once...arely. And I was going fast, in a straight line. I'm not even sure if I made that up on my own head or if it happened. Never been an issue for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

If you're concerned give your local dealer a shout, they should be able to find out for you.

Just spotted an envelope lying on the ground in my front garden and out I goes to investigate. Addressed to me, it had obviously been dropped by the postman and sure enough it was from Bikeworld informing me of the recall. So that confirms that then.
    The repair...will take approximately 45 minutes to complete...at no cost to you.
    Happy days! :)

But not ones to miss an opportunity, they've even thrown in a special offer of a 10% discount off all servicing on Ninja 250s. Good idea but not necessary for me, thanks.

All the cars I've owned over the years and I've never had a recall and I've had this bike 5 minutes and I get this. I feel like I've really accomplished something today. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

rat_race wrote: »

What is a down sensor? Think it's a sensor to switch off the engine if the bike goes on its side. Aka tipover/TO sensor.

tip over sensor yea

basically cuts power to the fuel injection, so the engine doesnt continue to run if it falls over. Lights will still work, starter will still spin, just the engine wont start. Typically resets itself when the bike is righted again

I imagine its the sensor bracket coming loose from the subframe, slipping, and tripping the TO sensor

really dont want this happening while going round a corner at any speed...

I believe the below website is good for recall information, though Ive not used it in a while, so might be out of date:
    tip over sensor yea

basically cuts power to the fuel injection, so the engine doesnt continue to run if it falls over

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

rat_race wrote: »

What year of manufacture is it affecting Rat? :eek:

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    What year of manufacture is it affecting Rat? :eek:

Mine is 2009 and rat-races is 2010, so certainly 2009-2010, but my guess would be that it could affect all 2008-2012 models if they've only just spotted the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Just spotted an envelope lying on the ground in my front garden and out I goes to investigate. Addressed to me, it had obviously been dropped by the postman and sure enough it was from Bikeworld informing me of the recall. So that confirms that then.

Happy days! :)

But not ones to miss an opportunity, they've even thrown in a special offer of a 10% discount off all servicing on Ninja 250s. Good idea but not necessary for me, thanks.

All the cars I've owned over the years and I've never had a recall and I've had this bike 5 minutes and I get this. I feel like I've really accomplished something today. :p

Yeh same, felt neat in an odd way lol :)

Got mine today, mines a 2011 Ninja so I guess they're affected too. Not bothered at all, gives me an excuse to browse around the store for 45 mins. Need to pick up some bits and pieces anyway.
    :D

Yeh same, felt neat in an odd way lol :)

Got mine today, mines a 2011 Ninja so I guess they're affected too. Not bothered at all, gives me an excuse to browse around the store for 45 mins. Need to pick up some bits and pieces anyway.
    :D
    I was thinking the exact same think, good excuse to browse around. I'll just have to be careful not to spend money I don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Got mine in the post today

Mine is 2008 so guessing its a problem with them all

Must remember to leave credit card at home that day :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement