Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Advisor charge

• 13-08-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

I went to see a mortgage advisor there a few weeks ago. The first meeting was free, but to proceed with a mortgage application they are requesting a €200 fee. The meeting went very, I got a lot out of it and I feel that the person would do a good job but is the €200 fee worth it? I don’t really want the hassle of dealing with the banks to be honest, so I want to go with a mortgage advisor one way or the other.

Are people paying mortgage advisors these days or are there good no fee ones out there? I’m in Galway by the way.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Only you can decide if it's worth it OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

As above, it depends OP.

It depends on how knowledgable you are about finance and what kind of mortgage etc. you want, but to be perfectly honest, it's quite straight forward to go through the process with a bank, the broker more or less can just organise everything for you and just have the papers for you to sign, so you don't have to worry about arranging things like life assurance and stuff and they'll look to get you the best deal and the best rates etc. as long as you guide them towards what you want or if you're happy with what they advise. But if you dealt directly with the bank yourself, they would guide you to what they need to have sent in, but the problem with going through the bank is they'll often try and set you up with more expensive products whereby they're getting a cut, but you're free to shop around and go with the cheapest option for yourself.

If you feel the money is worth it, then go for it, but before you do, just establish that the fee is for a "cradle to grave" service and they aren't going to charge you anything extra down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hwfs.ie

Hi,

I went to see a mortgage advisor there a few weeks ago. The first meeting was free, but to proceed with a mortgage application they are requesting a €200 fee. The meeting went very, I got a lot out of it and I feel that the person would do a good job but is the €200 fee worth it? I don’t really want the hassle of dealing with the banks to be honest, so I want to go with a mortgage advisor one way or the other.

Are people paying mortgage advisors these days or are there good no fee ones out there? I’m in Galway by the way.

I believe most mortgage brokers are charging fee's nowadays, if they get the approval and you take the mortgage some will rebait the fee as they will be paid a commission by the bank and normally also make commission from the life assurance.

I deal in this area and normally after the first meeting if i was confident of getting finance for the client i wouldn't bother charging a fee, however if i did i would always refund it if the mortgage was drawn down. Galway is too far though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 www.bored.ie

Hi, Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for a good financial/mortgage advisor in Dublin?

Advertisement