Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub food in Cork City?

Options
  • 13-08-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

So, I don't think there has been a dedicated thread on this..

There's nothing better than pub food on a sunny Sunday in a nice beer garden or on a wintery Sunday in a pub with a nice atmosphere (cosy, fire, etc..)

Where is the best place for pub food within walking distance of Cork City? Overall, including food, pricing, atmosphere, location etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭linfield

I like The Oliver Plunkett. Used to frequent the place a wee bit when I worked in the area.

I like the food in Soho also. Very reasonable in both places.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bonita810

I like very much The Oliver Plunkett, they have nice meals and great music.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

The Woolshed for me

They do a 5 euro lunch deal:

Sandwich, Wrap or Baguette of the Day plus a tea/coffee/soft drink

Outside of that deal they have an excellent menu selection, even kangaroo steaks. Haven't tried those yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Chad_Fantastics

East Village, the sister pub to Soho out in Douglas has been really good the last few years, great wings (available in Soho) and their early bird, 3 courses and tea/coffee for 20 quid is great value, worth a spin to get to.

Like the Woodford a lot, the off the bone ham they serve in the sambo's is super and I had a stew there last time that would be like a hug on a cold day. Don't think they do sundays though...

The Bodega impressed the last few times we ate there, Uncle Tom's pizza's in the Bier Haus is another fun way to exceed your daily calorie count....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

East Village, the sister pub to Soho out in Douglas has been really good the last few years, great wings (available in Soho) and their early bird, 3 courses and tea/coffee for 20 quid is great value, worth a spin to get to.

Like the Woodford a lot, the off the bone ham they serve in the sambo's is super and I had a stew there last time that would be like a hug on a cold day. Don't think they do sundays though...

The Bodega impressed the last few times we ate there, Uncle Tom's pizza's in the Bier Haus is another fun way to exceed your daily calorie count....

Uncle Petes. They're open on Paul street too, where Bullys/Ketchup used to be.

Soho is good for food. The Oliver Plunket is nice but pricey (€10 or so for a carvery baguette). Their meat is great but the veg is a little lacking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm impressed by the East Village €20 menus! Must head there soon. I enjoy the food in SoHo, but find it inconvenient to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Sober Lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Does anywhere still do a carvery lunch on Sundays? Last place I had one was out by the lough but that was years ago. Really fancy one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I'm sure the Wilton bar does a carvery.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

East Village- love their menu, you can't beat the chicken wings and nachos when hungover, their 20euro dinner menu is brill too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

angeline wrote: »
    I'm sure the Wilton bar does a carvery.
    weird smell of long johns in that place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Ronan cork wrote: »
    Does anywhere still do a carvery lunch on Sundays? Last place I had one was out by the lough but that was years ago. Really fancy one now!
    Flannery's, Glasheen do a great carvery.
    newbee22 wrote: »
    East Village- love their menu, you can't beat the chicken wings and nachos when hungover, their 20euro dinner menu is brill too!

Their Spanish fries!
    Oh. My. God.
    Horn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Faith wrote: »
    I'm impressed by the East Village €20 menus! Must head there soon. I enjoy the food in SoHo, but find it inconvenient to get to.

What does that €20 menu involve? No details on their website..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Bump, where's good in the evenings?

Went to the Woolshed the last night I was out and it was good, wondering should I go back there this evening or is there anywhere else good I should be trying?

Accompanying alcohol is a necessity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Pavilion on Carey's Lane does good up until 6pm. It's really, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I'll second the Pavilion, it's excellent pub food, nothing too fancy, and it's prepared on the premises. The burgers are the best I've had anywhere in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Agree with the Pav, great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Haven't been for a good while but https://www.facebook.com/fionnbarra.bar fionnbarra's on Douglas street fits the bill perfectly for pub food and a beergarden

Advertisement