Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on the M50

Options
  • 13-08-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Was headed to Dundrum the other day and was driving up the slip road from the M1 to merge onto the M50 when I happened to look to my side to see some guy cycling merrily along as if it was a completely normal thing to do . TBH I genuinely thought I was seeing things and had to do a double take , so just wondering does this guy make this a regular thing ,like has anyone seen him before ? Or did I just catch him on a particularly adventurous day ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There seems to be a couple of people into doing this lately, I'm not sure why. Every couple of weeks someone will post a sighting on boards. Half of the point of cycling is enjoying the spin, not getting from A to B as quickly as possible with 120km/h traffic hammering past you.

I think it's only a couple of people doing it in different spots, probably the same people each time, and they probably reckon that it's faster if they just nip from one junction to the next rather than taking the normal roads.

Haven't seen anyone actually doing it, though I did see the Gardai on the northbound side once having pulled in a guy between Dundrum and Firhouse.

There are plenty of places where I'll give two fingers to a sign saying "no cycling", but a motorway is not one of them. Too much risk for practically no gain. In many cases the M50 route is longer then the normal roads, but it works because cars are capable of travelling at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I was just in shock ,horror and bewilderment all at the same time , that someone would actually consider this!! I mean the guy didn't even have a helmet !!!! I also don't see how it's possible to do without getting at least seriously injured. CRAZY PEOPLE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I was just in shock ,horror and bewilderment all at the same time , that someone would actually consider this!! I mean the guy didn't even have a helmet !!!! I also don't see how it's possible to do without getting at least seriously injured. CRAZY PEOPLE!!

a helmet would be of no use to him in a 120Kmph collision. None.

listermint wrote: »
    a helmet would be of no use to him in a 120Kmph collision. None.

I know that , just think if someone was going to take such a huge risk as that they may like to even make a meagre attempt to protect themselves even if it really wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Strange one alright. Might be an idea to ring the Gardai next time you see it. Also the M50 is often not the most direct route, its far more circuitous than N roads and R roads around south dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If it wasn't illegal I'd have no problem doing it and would have used the M11 or southern M50 quite often. The N11 just south of the M11/M50 is no different, still grade separated junctions etc, everyone still does 120+
    as for traffic doing 120 being an issue, it's far less so than narrow country roads where they're doing 100 in both directions.

That said it is illegal so I wouldn't do it and even if it was would probably steer clear of anywhere from Tallaght exit to N3 exit because it's a bit crazier there.

But at least in those cases you have the hard shoulder here,This was the junction where you come up off the M1 past the Airport and onto the M50 Southbound right beside IKEA/Finglas and find yourself bang smack in the middle of the 4 or so lanes, the guy hadn't a hope of getting over unless he stopped traffic or had some super human shield or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Between cyclists roaming the footpaths, ignoring traffic lights and generally doing as they wish at times, this doesn't surprise me. I've seen guys on the M50 slipways (no cycle-lane) around Sandyford and been amazed at their foolishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Gravale wrote: »
    Between cyclists roaming the footpaths, ignoring traffic lights and generally doing as they wish at times, this doesn't surprise me. I've seen guys on the M50 slipways (no cycle-lane) around Sandyford and been amazed at their foolishness.

I've been driving the M50 to Sandyford every day for the last 6 years or so, I don't remember ever seeing a cyclist. Is it a regular occurrence in your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

seamus wrote: »
    There are plenty of places where I'll give two fingers to a sign saying "no cycling",

Whoa there buddy, I know you cyclists like living outside the law but this is (edit: APPARENTLY NOT AH), lets have less of that :eek:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63152127#post63152127

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Whoa there buddy, I know you cyclists like living outside the law but this is (edit: APPARENTLY NOT AH), lets have less of that :eek:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63152127#post63152127
    The only legal "no cycling" signs in Ireland are the ones at the entrance to motorways, hence it's not breaking the law to ignore all of the other ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

seamus wrote: »
    The only legal "no cycling" signs in Ireland are the ones at the entrance to motorways, hence it's not breaking the law to ignore all of the other ones :)

How are you on the no cycling signs in public parks? They good with you? Or if I put one up on a footpath :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

That said it is illegal so I wouldn't do it and even if it was would probably steer clear of anywhere from Tallaght exit to N3 exit because it's a bit crazier there.

Personally its legality isn't my primary concern. Anything with high speed entrances and exits makes cycling pretty dodgy, and that includes a lot of N roads such as the N11.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, is there any scope for retrofitting the M50 with a cycling track? obviously dealing with junctions would be the main issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I saw a guy with a small like cab attached to horse running on National Primary (90 km/h area, not as fast motorway) but still fast enough for that I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

Was headed to Dundrum the other day and was driving up the slip road from the M1 to merge onto the M50 when I happened to look to my side to see some guy cycling merrily along as if it was a completely normal thing to do

Ha, that's nothing new for the M50. i used to work the night shifts doing highway maintance on the M50. I have seen cars driving on the wrong side of the M50, Cars Reversing on the M50 because the missed the slip road, Drunks dancing on the motorway and dodging traffic, People stopping to have a sh1t on the M50, and the list goes on. :D

Zab wrote: »
    Personally its legality isn't my primary concern. Anything with high speed entrances and exits makes cycling pretty dodgy, and that includes a lot of N roads such as the N11.

cycled the N11 from Fassaroe south and reverse countless times, never had a problem at any of the junctions. It's a non issue for a competent road user IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Spotted a guy cycling on the M11 towards Bray, just after the M50 junction on Monday evening. Madness, given the alternative routes available. Who can I call when this happens? 999 seems a bit OTT.

Local Garda station is really the only other option. Just make sure that it actually is the M11. It tends to switch very quickly from M to N once you've joined from the M50.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

actually, is there any scope for retrofitting the M50 with a cycling track? obviously dealing with junctions would be the main issue.

Not much scope on the M50, but around it, yes. It would be costly mainly because of the need to put in bridges and a likely need for small but many bits of land take / CPOs.

There's easy bits which would only require upgrading the surface and connecting bit, there's tight spots, there's lots of people who will object to small things like knocking walls to join two current paths, there's bits that could cost millions for just a few 100 meters, and there'd be a lot of temptation to only do a half job on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I'd say it's safe enough to quickly run from one junction to the next. Yeah you're screwed if a car hits you, but just keep well in on the hard shoulder. Don't forget your high vis jacket. 'Be Safe, Be Seen :)

Motorist wrote: »
    . Don't forget your high vis jacket. 'Be Safe, Be Seen :)

:rolleyes:

Then use lights, high vis are less than useless and completely unnecessary unless cycling around a building site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

:rolleyes:

Then use lights, high vis are less than useless and completely unnecessary unless cycling around a building site.

What about during the day? The EU is considering making it mandatory for motorcyclists to wear high vis :eek:

Advertisement