Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Card skimmed

• 13-08-2012 12:22pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got my entire bank balance stolen (not a huge amount of money but pretty much all I have).

My card got skimmed and they went to another ATM with a replica. Luckily it happened at the ATM of my bank so they have cameras and I might actually see it back.

Anyone else ever have this happen to them? If so, did you get your funds back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Ye that was me! my bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Any idea where the skimming took place - don't name it here if you do (legal reasons) but just wondering if you knew or suspected where it might have happened and if you have reported the possible place to the Garda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I thought you are entitled to it back as its the Bank's responsibility to ensure that their machines have not been tampered with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Whenever I read a thread like this I immediately check my online banking balance!

Got a call once to say it had been skimmed, along with loads of others. But no money was even taken thankfully.

Since then I've always tried to have as much in my savings account as possible and as little in my current.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The missus lost a few grand to card fraud a few weeks ago. She reported it after noticing loads of dodgy transactions on her balance.

Bank was AIB, they conducted an investigation and full refund (about 3800 i think) was made, about 2 weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Biggins wrote: »
    Any idea where the skimming took place - don't name it here if you do (legal reasons) but just wondering if you knew or suspected where it might have happened and if you have reported the possible place to the Garda?

That's the annoying thing, I don't know where it happened. So now I'm going to get a new card and possibly end up having the same trouble all over again.

They say that I'll have to look at tapes to see if I recognise the person so hopefully the police can do something about it.

Apparently, card skimming over here (Malta) is quite a common thing so I should start being extra cautious when withdrawing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

happened to my dad once when he was over in London. bank sorted it all out and he got back all his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I had a Euro or two taken from my credit card a few years ago. AIB called me up the next day as it was an over seas transaction and was flagged on their end. Canceled my card, new one issued and all ended fine.
    Suppose if they got a few euro from thousands of people it would be worth their while and not stand out as much as large amounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Had a grand taken from my account a few years ago, Bank rang me up on Monday morning informing me of it. They fully reimbursed me and sent out a new card and pin. If I remember correctly they sent me out a form that I had to sign and return and once I did they put the money back in my a/c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

My card was skimmed once, they deposited €100 in my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Happened to me a few years ago! Went to pay for the shopping, and my card was declined. Was pay day, so I was kinda WTF?!

Card had been skimmed in Galway city centre, but they took the money out in Kildare! Took 3/4 days and I got all my money back. Had to report it to the Gardaí and give the bank the info.

Scummy little bastards, taking my money. Not only did they take a couple of hundred, they managed to authorise a 700 over draft, they got close to a grand from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Rabies wrote: »
    I had a Euro or two taken from my credit card a few years ago. AIB called me up the next day as it was an over seas transaction and was flagged on their end. Canceled my card, new one issued and all ended fine.
    Suppose if they got a few euro from thousands of people it would be worth their while and not stand out as much as large amounts.

It's more likely to be them testing the card. It looks dodgy if a fraudster tries to buy a TV for a couple of grand and then the card declines and they have to use another one so they'll make small transactions for petrol/mobile phone top-up/phone calls to test the card and can then use the ones which have worked for more serious fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I had about 200 taken off my credit card a few months ago, it was used to buy a 'car radio' through paypal. They suspected it might not have been a car radio purely because they had the shipping listed as much more than the cost of the actual radio. The weird thing was I had about 60 quid credited back to me from the guy who nicked it. I sent off all forms to paypal and never heard back from them, rang twice and was told people were looking into it before I could get a refund.

Never got the refund, must chase it up some time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It only happened my ma a few weeks ago in florida.
    They spent 7 grand on the credit card.
    The banks are insured for this shít so you should be covered to get the money back. That sucks though man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

When I'm typing my PIN number in I look at anyone standing close with a suspicious eye and they always turn away the poor cretters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I am pie wrote: »
    The missus lost a few grand to card fraud a few weeks ago. She reported it after noticing loads of dodgy transactions on her balance.

Bank was AIB, they conducted an investigation and full refund (about 3800 i think) was made, about 2 weeks later.

happened to me last month, they only got away with 120 quid. Aib refunded it after checking it out.

i noticed while i was in london for a week (card had been skimmed before i left) when i saw some pos sales coming up in my 24hr banking. lasers cant be used in the UK so i knew something was amiss.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Dean09 wrote: »
    It only happened my ma a few weeks ago in florida.
    They spent 7 grand on the credit card.
    The banks are insured for this shít so you should be covered to get the money back. That sucks though man.

That's a fair chunk of money to get done for. Glad you got it back though.

The thing that gets to me is the bank didn't inform me that these were happening (they normally text me when money is withdrawn) so if they had have text me I could have called sooner and stopped them after the first withdrawal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Happened to my ma recently. She got a call up from a bank after they had noticed a couple of small transactions, then followed by large transactions. I'm guessing that was to check the stolen details were legitimate.

She's in the process of getting that sorted out now and is finding it rather nostalgic using cash in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

That's a fair chunk of money to get done for. Glad you got it back though.

The thing that gets to me is the bank didn't inform me that these were happening (they normally text me when money is withdrawn) so if they had have text me I could have called sooner and stopped them after the first withdrawal.

They usually do contact you if there's suspicious activity on the card. That's how my ma found out it was happening and they were able to cancel the card before any more was spent. They really should have got in touch with you if it seemed suspicious.
    My ma still hasn't got it back yet though. It takes a while to sort out and it's more of pain in the arse than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I had about 200 taken off my credit card a few months ago, it was used to buy a 'car radio' through paypal. They suspected it might not have been a car radio purely because they had the shipping listed as much more than the cost of the actual radio. The weird thing was I had about 60 quid credited back to me from the guy who nicked it. I sent off all forms to paypal and never heard back from them, rang twice and was told people were looking into it before I could get a refund.

Never got the refund, must chase it up some time!

Actually, paypal don't do a lot in those cases. They need the credit card firm to contact them. What you should do is contact your credit card company. They get in contact with paypal and something called a chargeback occurs.

The money is transported back from PayPal to your credit card account. It takes a few days as it's an inter bank transfer, but you get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Seeing as most are saying that they got reimbursed, I'll keep skimming. I felt sorry for people before. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Happened to me about 2 years ago. Over the course of 3 days saw 570 (3 x 190 eur transactions) taken out of my account. Luckily I spotted it and notified the bank after the 1st one, but because it was on a Friday, 2 more transactions went through by the time Monday came around.

Card was cloned, and money was taken out of an ATM in Jo'burg South Africa. I know exactly where it was skimmed too, apparently its notorious for it. The ATM on Stephen St (beside Break for the Border).

Bank returned all the money to me though, no questions asked.

Be vigilant..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Hang on a second, is it not the case that even if they clone the card, they still need your pin number, just like if they got your real card, its useless without the pin.

Are people in this day and age still so stupid that they dont cover their pin when typing it in???

I cover the keypad with my wallet and move my hand around pretending to hit other numbers too, every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

When I'm typing my PIN number in I look at anyone standing close with a suspicious eye and they always turn away the poor cretters.

I have seen security guards in supermarkets zoom in on keypads when people enter their PIN, so I always cover it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Hang on a second, is it not the case that even if they clone the card, they still need your pin number, just like if they got your real card, its useless without the pin.

Are people in this day and age still so stupid that they dont cover their pin when typing it in???

I cover the keypad with my wallet and move my hand around pretending to hit other numbers too, every time.

They can order online and wouldn't need the pin numbers, they would just need your card number/expiry date and maybe the numbers on the back of the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I have seen security guards in supermarkets zoom in on keypads when people enter their PIN, so I always cover it now.

I have my own technique where I put both hands on the keypad and press the PIN with the fingers over the four numbers.

Pretty secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Cleeo wrote: »
    Not only did they take a couple of hundred, they managed to authorise a 700 over draft, they got close to a grand from me!

Wow. That's good work. How did they manage that?

I've had it happen twice with my credit card. Once was immediately flagged by the credit card company and they phoned me to confirm that I wasn't in Indonesia (I had been the year previously on my honeymoon). The second was recent enough. No idea how it was done. Got my money back both times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've never seen them in Ireland but a lot of places in the world have the types where you can only enter the room with the atm's in them by inserting your card for access. There are cameras right above the door and facing the machines. I use them ones all the time. When in Ireland i always withdraw money from inside the bank or i got cash back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Got skimmed on Mary Street D1 (ATM beside JD sports) they done me for €1200, they took 600 at 5 to 12 and the rest at 5 past 12 as they knew the withdrawl limit for a day, the day before xmas eve too. The bank were really good about it though so wasnt too much hassle. best using ATMs in shops not the ones on the street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Got done for €1200 a few years ago.

I foolishly used a busy street ATM on Liffey Street, D1 - on a Thursday evening. Would consider myself very tech savvy, so was shocked when I hadnt noticed anything suspicious about the ATM. Was the day before a payday too.

When I checked my balance on Saturday, 600 was taken in 2 transactions. One in Malahide and one in Leixlip. Since then, I always use the shop ones when possible. And cover the pad with my wallet.

Got the money back after 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

delricyo wrote: »
    Got done for €1200 a few years ago.

I foolishly used a busy street ATM on Liffey Street, D1 - on a Thursday evening. Would consider myself very tech savvy, so was shocked when I hadnt noticed anything suspicious about the ATM. Was the day before a payday too.

When I checked my balance on Saturday, 600 was taken in 2 transactions. One in Malahide and one in Leixlip. Since then, I always use the shop ones when possible. And cover the pad with my wallet.

Got the money back after 2 weeks.

that sounds like the same fcukers that done me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

I had this fecker walk up beside me saying he was at the atm first, * obviously a distraction method i know now *

He kept nudging me out of the way AFTER id put my pin code in, I was intoxicated at the time I might add. so id just pressed to take a 20 out, he was still shouting saying he was there first etc, i was like HERE GET OUT OF MAA FACE, but he wasnt looking at me, but over my shoulder to see " only multiples of 50 " and walked off.

& that is the end of my story, tata!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

delricyo wrote: »
    was shocked when I hadnt noticed anything suspicious about the ATM.

Don't be shocked. The skimming devices are almost imperceptible these days and the cameras they use to record your pin are absolutely TINY. I saw a little slide show somewhere on them. I was shocked at how small they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I went New York a couple of years ago for about a week and used my credit card for nearly everything.

Then about 6 months later I was at home and I got a call from the bank saying my card was being used in New York and they were checking was it me. Obviously it wasn't and the card was obviously skimmed when I was over there but what I always wondered was why they rang me that time and not when I was actually over there? It was the same kind of things getting purchased, food, clothes etc. Nothing too expensive. So why did it set off alarm bells then?

I got it all back in the end and the bloke advised me to let them know when I'm going abroad in future so they'll know not to get alarmed if transactions start appearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

o1s1n wrote: »
    Whenever I read a thread like this I immediately check my online banking balance!

Got a call once to say it had been skimmed, along with loads of others. But no money was even taken thankfully.

Since then I've always tried to have as much in my savings account as possible and as little in my current.

Savings account? Well la de feckin da.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I went New York a couple of years ago for about a week and used my credit card for nearly everything.

Then about 6 months later I was at home and I got a call from the bank saying my card was being used in New York and they were checking was it me. Obviously it wasn't and the card was obviously skimmed when I was over there but what I always wondered was why they rang me that time and not when I was actually over there? It was the same kind of things getting purchased, food, clothes etc. Nothing too expensive. So why did it set off alarm bells then?

I got it all back in the end and the bloke advised me to let them know when I'm going abroad in future so they'll know not to get alarmed if transactions start appearing

I could be wrong here, but if you booked the flights with the same credit card as you used over in NY, maybe the bank copped that it was probably you using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

Maybe if there is regular activity on your account here and there at the same time?

deccurley wrote: »

I could be wrong here, but if you booked the flights with the same credit card as you used over in NY, maybe the bank copped that it was probably you using it?

It would have been the same card alright but the flights would have been booked months in advance and as far as the bank would know, I just booked something with Aer Lingus. There would be no reference to it being flights to New York that I booked.

Joni23 wrote: »

Maybe if there is regular activity on your account here and there at the same time?

That's probably it now that you mention it. While I wouldn't have been using my credit card over here at the time, I would have been using my debit card and they're from the same bank so that does make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Then about 6 months later I was at home and I got a call from the bank saying my card was being used in New York and they were checking was it me. Obviously it wasn't and the card was obviously skimmed when I was over there

I doubt the card was skimmed in New York. The fact that you'd been there earlier in the year was likely a coincidence. It's more likely that the card was skimmed closer to home and the details sold on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i got caught for 3500 a few years back on my credit card ,
    i had bought some books via amazon ( again via a re seller ) , got the books not a bother

4 weeks later get my cc statement with loads of weird stuff i never bought
    rang the bank - they looked at it and rang me back,
    apparently the CLOWN that robbed me bought his tv licence ( his real address ), shopping in tescos ( delivered to his real address ) and bought flights to Norway , Sweden and the middle east ( all with his REAL passport number )

what gobs1ite uses a cloned CC and gives their real address ???
    ( he was based in manchester )

needles to say the gimp got caught and i was not charged on my CC

one born every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I have my own technique where I put both hands on the keypad and press the PIN with the fingers over the four numbers.

Was Pretty secure.

Fixed yer post for ya. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I just got my entire bank balance stolen (not a huge amount of money but pretty much all I have).

My card got skimmed and they went to another ATM with a replica. Luckily it happened at the ATM of my bank so they have cameras and I might actually see it back.

Anyone else ever have this happen to them? If so, did you get your funds back?

sorry to hear that.
    was the light flashing at the ATM?
    they should have a little cover over the pad. some do. if not it means the bank is negligent. it means the pin camera installed cannot see what you are typing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

It was Enda and the boys. They're broadening the tax base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

mine was just done there for the 3rd time in 12 months, only 200 blips, could've been worse, banking app is handy, getting annoying, would love to find out who's doing it, im fairly central where im based.

oddly enough i did come across a fake laser card in work, someone was trying to use a one for all voucher to buy something for 600 euro. We only noticed because then card number didn't match up with the credit card receipt, your man just ran off as soon as we noticed..

Advertisement