Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I wear to a christening?

Options
  • 13-08-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

Need some help - going to the christening next Saturday for my niece. I'm also going to be her god mother.
    I've never been to a christening before, and I'm not catholic, so I'm not sure what the dress code would be in Ireland!

We'll have the ceremony at the church, then back to the house after for a party, then we'll probably hit town.

So do I dress for the church or do I dress for a night out? Or somewhere in between?! Or are these events more casual?

Help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Not very religious myself, don't go to mass or follow their rules really. However have been to many christenings, and have been a godmother twice.
    I wore dressy jeans, high heels, and a nice bright top with a very good coat the first time I was godmother, and a knee length pencil with bright coloured silk top the second time. At other christenings I have worn dresses.
    Infinite amount of things you could wear, I myself think excessive cleavage should be avoided, ultra tight skimpy or extremely short clothing, and very heavy makeup and too dark fake tan, (remember it's day time so everything looks oranger in the sun).
    I actually quite like cleavage, sexy clothes, and glitz and glam but think it's best for a nightclub. I would personally err on the side of conservative when it comes to church christenings.
    Was at a christening before where there was a group of girls in skintight bodycon mini dresses, lots of cleavage and ass on display, very heavy makeup and ultra bronze fake tan. They were all very pretty girls who wouldn't have looked out of place on a night out, but stuck out like a sore thumb in the more formal church setting.
    I think a nice dress that is not extremely revealing is always a safe bet.
    This is all just my personal opinion though, other people would be less formal about these events. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Murky Waters

I'm also going to be her god mother.
    I've never been to a christening before, and I'm not catholic,

AFAIK you don't qualify to be a godparent as you're not catholic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

AFAIK you don't qualify to be a godparent as you're not catholic.

Let's keep this to fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It's easy to wear a nice dress or top and skirt to a Christening that's suitable for a night on the town. You just need something to cover it up for day time, like a cardi, bolero, jacket or coat. You should look smart and dressy, but err on the side of being conservative - not too much cleavage, or dresses/skirts that are very short. It's easy to take off the cardi, jacket, etc. for the night out. It's also easy to apply some evening make up later on in the day, so I wouldn't plaster on the make up for the day time service. The other option is to bring a dress with you for heading out later, one that would be more suitable for a night out, but not too much for the church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yeah I wore a dress that I'd wear to weddings/nights out when I was godmother, just above knee length blue dress with a little blue cardigan and pink heels. In our family we'd always wear dresses, skirts, or nice pants and tops, we don't really wear jeans or anything, I'd feel a bit casual in them for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement