Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO sighting in Dublin/Drumcondra

Options
  • 13-08-2012 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi guys I witnessed an orange glowing object flying over the Drumcondra area at approx 00:15 today. Just wondering if anyone in the same area or living nearby areas saw the same thing or something similiar? I also posted on the UFO Research Association site with a detailed description of what I saw here's the link

http://www.ufoi.org/forum/index.php?topic=773.0

Just trying to get to the bottom of it really so if anyone can shed some light please contact me, thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Chinese lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Probably just a few footballs coming back down to earth after the Shels game on friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

Chinese lantern.

It was moving intelligently in a particular direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

street wrote: »

What do you mean ? What was intelligent about it's movements?

• Advertisement

Dónal wrote: »

It was travelling at about the same height as a helicopter in a particular direction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

In the link you provided you said it was moving in a straight line at a steady pace.

I am pie wrote: »
    What do you mean ? What was intelligent about it's movements?

I mean it moved like a craft that was being piloted imho. It dipped in height a bit at one point and continued moving at a steady pace, about twice the speed of a helicopter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Bertie dropping home in his helicopter ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

realies wrote: »

Now I understand, why that helicopter was out there all night. Maybe they were refused to land :P

realies wrote: »

It would be great not to hear from the likes of you and dan1895 who have nothing better to do than take the piss. It's a trivial thing to you but I genuinely saw something really strange last night that I can't explain and have (reluctantly) posted hear to see if anyone in the Dublin 9 area/nearby or Dublin city for that matter saw what I saw. It freaked me out and my head is wrecked.. Hoping to get some answers. Anyone whos actually interested in what I'm saying please check out the link i gave for a full description of what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

hot air baloon on a night flight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

time to give these fella'a a buzz

Men_in_Black.jpg

hot air baloon on a night flight?

If hot air balloons can travel twice the speed of a helicopter then its possible I guess.

About a minute after i'd seen the thing there was a helicopter hovering over my area (Drumcondra) for about 20/30 mins afterwards!! Also saw one in the distance (Glasnevin I'd say) in the direction the object had gone before it went out of my view. Might ring a bell with someone?

If hot air balloons can travel twice the speed of a helicopter then its possible I guess.

About a minute after i'd seen the thing there was a helicopter hovering over my area (Drumcondra) for about 20/30 mins afterwards!! Also saw one in the distance (Glasnevin I'd say) in the direction the object had gone before it went out of my view. Might ring a bell with someone?

Let's say, it was Beaumont/Whitehall. had a helicopter here at around 12:30ish for at least 15 minutes. But I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Classic description of a Chinese lantern. There's loads of these exact same descriptions in the Astronomy forum, especially the orange colour, and they are always lanterns. A meteor would only have been seen for a few tenths of a second. As for speed, pace and direction, they are very deceptive and hard to judge for the first-time observer who will very often refuse to believe they are lanterns.

Here's the search result for the Astronomy forum for lanterns. Take a look at some of the threads and the pattern will become obvious. http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=267&query=lantern

Do keep looking up though as the Perseids are around for another day or two, but if you are in town, the light pollution will cut your chances of seeing a meteor right down.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Let's say, it was Beaumont/Whitehall. had a helicopter here at around 12:30ish for at least 15 minutes. But I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary

Interesting

Helicopters don't do orange and have very very noticeable flashing nav lights: red/green. They have to be distinctive for air traffic/flight rules purposes.

Interesting

For me, it was more annoying, but never mind ;)

The cats and the rabbits went bonkers as well, just to mention that

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Classic description of a Chinese lantern. There's loads of these exact same descriptions in the Astronomy forum, especially the orange colour, and they are always lanterns. A meteor would only have been seen for a few tenths of a second. As for speed, pace and direction, they are very deceptive and hard to judge for the first-time observer who will very often refuse to believe they are lanterns.

Here's the search result for the Astronomy forum for lanterns. Take a look at some of the threads and the pattern will become obvious. http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=267&query=lantern

Do keep looking up though as the Perseids are around for another day or two, but if you are in town, the light pollution will cut your chances of seeing a meteor right down.

I'll take your word for it as regards the lanterns but yeah I don't believe it was one of them. While I was out it was raining and there was little to no wind. And what about the helicopters which were obviously there looking out for something? Doubt they'd waste their time chasing a chinese lantern about the place!?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

And what about the helicopters which were obviously there looking out for something? Doubt they'd waste their time chasing a chinese lantern about the place!?

so you think the helicopters were out chasing the naughty aliens away :rolleyes:

they were more likely out chasing Anto and Decco in their stolen car

irishbird wrote: »
    so you think the helicopters were out chasing the naughty aliens away :rolleyes:

they were more likely out chasing Anto and Decco in their stolen car

Don't patronise me irishbird. It was too much of a coincidence imo. I'm just trying to get some answers here ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Don't patronise me irishbird. It was too much of a coincidence imo. I'm just trying to get some answers here ok?

Do you actually think it was aliens?

Will I move this to the Alien forum? Paranormla? Astronomy?

Ypu have your answer, it was a Chinese Lantern, it wasn't being chased by the Garda Helicopter.

"Trying to get some answers"? You sound like you belong in the Conspiracy Theories Forum tbh.

It was a Chinese Lantern, nothing else.

Jesus.

Being a member of the skeptic community i would say it was one of the following

sleep paralysis
    Misidentified brown bear
    Or cold reading

Being a member of the skeptic community i would say it was one of the following

sleep paralysis
    Misidentified brown bear
    Or cold reading

What?

Des wrote: »

Jesus.

You actually believe in Jesus ??

Des wrote: »
    Do you actually think it was aliens?

Will I move this to the Alien forum? Paranormla? Astronomy?

Ypu have your answer, it was a Chinese Lantern, it wasn't being chased by the Garda Helicopter.

"Trying to get some answers"? You sound like you belong in the Conspiracy Theories Forum tbh.

Jesus.

I wasn't speaking to you there Des but to answer your question, I can't say for sure but I think its possible and I'm open-minded on that subject. Obviously you're not. I've posted in Paranormal and Astronomy btw so don't put yourself out. Might get some concrete answers there put the thing to bed, and I'm pretty sure they'll be less aggressive.. And yeah, I'm trying to get some answers about what I saw, whats so bloody hard to grasp about that?? I'm a normal bloke who saw something weird and I want to know what it was. Enda story

The concrete answer is Chinese Lantern. When you see a few of them together in sky, you'll have a eureka moment. Alternatively you could get a hold of a few yourself, they're not expensive and a bit of craic, then you'll see the light (pun intended).

• Advertisement

I wasn't speaking to you there Des but to answer your question, I can't say for sure but I think its possible and I'm open-minded on that subject. Obviously you're not. I've posted in Paranormal and Astronomy btw so don't put yourself out. Might get some concrete answers there put the thing to bed, and I'm pretty sure they'll be less aggressive.. And yeah, I'm trying to get some answers about what I saw, whats so bloody hard to grasp about that?? I'm a normal bloke who saw something weird and I want to know what it was. Enda story

Yet you dismiss any rational explanation in the hope that someone tells you saw a little green man in his spacecraft coming for a flying visit?

Question for you.

Given that it takes some pretty hi-tech technology to even get a rover to Mars, why do you think Alan the Alien would just pop over to Drumcondra for a fly by? Why wouldn't they land and let us know exactly what they are doing?

Advertisement