Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO sighting in Dublin/Drumcondra

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

@ Street: From the description you gave in your OP and before reading the other posts my immediate thoought was Chinese Lantern. You mentioned it went at twice the speed of a helicopter - what is the speed of a helicopter then? was it twice the speed of a helicopter going 10mph or twice the speed of a helicopter going 100mph? such vague observations are completely meaningless you know. (A)You mention there was little or no wind - that may be the case at ground level but at an altitude wind velocity will be greater. (B)Then you said it moved "intelligently" - could it not have been turbulence in the wind just causing it to momentarily change its heading and altitude? I certainly think so. TBH i think you are completely off the mark on this, its a simple old Chinese lantern, plain and simple. (D) I suggest this little excercise - try to recreate the event. You and an assistant should buy a Chinese lantern and go out on a night with similar wather conditions. You travel a few hundred meters downwind of the release point and then tell your friend to light and launch the lantern. you observe it's appearance, speed and path from the ground. I am quite confident that you will find that it will be pretty similar to what you saw the other night.
    What say you street? Will you try it out for us and prove us wrong?
    BTW from reading the stuff in the link: Like, did you seriously ring you Baldonnel and the Air Corp over this? What did they tell you? Was it the Air Corp new secret Chinese lantern powered hypersonic spy plane? But of course they wouldn't tell you that cos its a secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why do something completely rational like that, when he could just continue to believe it was the lizard people finally coming to take us away?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Best get plastered, just in case

Des wrote: »
    Yet you dismiss any rational explanation in the hope that someone tells you saw a little green man in his spacecraft coming for a flying visit?

I dont think he dismissed it Des, i think it was more the fact you went all Mafia on him and told him what he saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Yet you dismiss any rational explanation in the hope that someone tells you saw a little green man in his spacecraft coming for a flying visit?

Question for you.

Given that it takes some pretty hi-tech technology to even get a rover to Mars, why do you think Alan the Alien would just pop over to Drumcondra for a fly by? Why wouldn't they land and let us know exactly what they are doing?

In fairness to the O.P lets just say that if s/he did see a UFO then why are people including yourself talking about aliens ? UFO means 'unidentified flying object', it has nothing to do with aliens, I don't understand why people mention aliens when someone says they seen a ufo as a ufo has nothing to do with aliens unless you actually seen an alien.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I dont think he dismissed it Des, i think it was more the fact you went all Mafia on him and told him what he saw.

Mafia?

Cool, another "believer".

It's crap, it was a chinese lantern, it's always a chinese lantern.

Even if it wasn't a chinese lantern, it most certainly wasn't a spaceship.

Mafia?

It's crap, it was a chinese lantern, it's always a chinese lantern.

The O.P never said s/he seen a spaceship, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

I think it's more his refusal to listen to the logical explanations mentioned so far. For example, numerous people have mentioned Chinese Lanterns and he has thus far not acknowledged the possibility of it actually being Chinese Lanterns. He has stated that it was travelling at twice the speed of a helicopter, which really doesn't tell anyone anything and he has said that it was travelling 'intelligently', which again doesn't tell us anything. If he heard an engine then we can presume it's travelling 'intelligently'. If not, it means nothing.

The OP seemingly does't want to accept any rational explanation and is therefore leaving himself open to ridicule.

Can someone comment on my proposal that he try launching a lantern with a friend to compare its flight to what he saw?@Street: OK then, since you are adamant that it is NOT a chinese lantern perhaps you can tell us WHY you think that? What is it about the UFO that is making you think it is not a chinese lantern? Answer us this bearing in mind the points made in my previous post .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Dónal wrote: »
    Or a meteor shower?

there has been Perseid meteor shower 11 12 13 aug thats prob what you saw look up earthsky.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

There is a very good chance that you saw the International Space Station as it is visible in the northern hemisphere right now. It will be visible again tonight in Dublin from 22:32 until 22:37 travelling from west to east starting in the WSW sky and moving to the ESE. It can appear to white to yellow to orange to reddish depending on how many layers of the atmosphere the reflected sunlight is travelling through.

http://iss.astroviewer.net/observation.php

Use this link to view its current location and next projected passes.

Keep looking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

zenno wrote: »
    In fairness to the O.P lets just say that if s/he did see a UFO then why are people including yourself talking about aliens ? UFO means 'unidentified flying object', it has nothing to do with aliens, I don't understand why people mention aliens when someone says they seen a ufo as a ufo has nothing to do with aliens unless you actually seen an alien.

Did you read the link the OP posted? he said that it wasn't a human craft, so if not human then what did he mean?

No, im not a believer , i dont know what it was, i was not there. Were you ? ?

Do you realise you are the only one talking about Aliens or spaceships :p

It could have been a remote control Helicopter or plane, it could have been a balloon. It could have been a kite. Hell it could have been an owl with a torch :p

There's a very high possibility that it was a Chinese lantern but all this talk of aliens is just wrong as the O.P never said s/he seen an alien or a spaceship for that matter.

The O.P never said s/he seen a spaceship, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Erm, yes he did, he said 'not a human craft' in the link on his first post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

In the link the OP posted he said it's "wasn't a human craft". Also, when someone generally uses the acronym UFO it's usually only referring to one thing.

There is a very good chance that you saw the International Space Station as it is visible in the northern hemisphere right now. It will be visible again tonight in Dublin from 22:32 until 22:37 travelling from west to east starting in the WSW sky and moving to the ESE. It can appear to white to yellow to orange to reddish depending on how many layers of the atmosphere the reflected sunlight is travelling through.

http://iss.astroviewer.net/observation.php

Use this link to view its current location and next projected passes.

Keep looking up.

I disagree with your opinion that it may be the ISS. Colour, and direction aside, to the naked eye from the ground the ISS would appear to travel in a perfectly stright line. Any changes in direction or altitude would not be perceptible to the naked eye. Most certainly the sudden dipping motion as relayed by the OP would rule the ISS out. Comment on this.

Galadriel wrote: »

saying "Not a human craft" does not mean spaceship learn the difference between these two differences please.

A chinese lantern could be considered a craft. Also it is not manned. Thus not a human craft.

Did you read the link the OP posted? he said that it wasn't a human craft, so if not human then what did he mean?

Chimp ? Like Ham the astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Chinese lantern
    /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

My family live in the Whitehall area and see these lights all the time, they are Chinese Lanterns. There is some Vietnamese community around here and they are always letting them off. Used to freak me out when I first saw them until I saw them up close and realised what they were.

They can bob around and change direction due to to the atmosphere and thermals. At night they can appear higher than they are and this gives the illusion of great speed. They let them off from a back garden near the Collins Ave/Swords Rd junction.

saying "Not a human craft" does not mean spaceship learn the difference between these two differences please.

You're clutching at straws dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

A chinese lantern could be considered a craft. Also it is not manned. Thus not a human craft.
    Do you think that's what the OP meant by the term?

Haha, ok.

You're clutching at straws dude.

Look, who knows what the O.P saw, but it annoys me when uneducated people go off on one saying it's aliens. unidentified flying object means what it says it says nothing regarding aliens or spaceships, I find it hard to figure out why people can't understand the meaning of 3 simple words.

Ok, but the OP is saying it's not a chinese lantern, nor a human craft, but he feels that it is was being 'piloted'? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

I disagree with your opinion that it may be the ISS. Colour, and direction aside, to the naked eye from the ground the ISS would appear to travel in a perfectly stright line. Any changes in direction or altitude would not be perceptible to the naked eye. Most certainly the sudden dipping motion as relayed by the OP would rule the ISS out. Comment on this.

Atmospheric conditions can cause optical illusions to occur. Clouds or heat radiation can cause perceived movement by the observer. Currently Venus is rising in the AM and has an apparent magnitude of -4. It is often mistaken for a UFO or aircraft for these reasons as per this story:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/04/17/air-canada-pilot-mistook-venus-for-a-plane-injured-16/

Atmospheric conditions can cause optical illusions to occur. Clouds or heat radiation can cause perceived movement by the observer. Currently Venus is rising in the AM and has an apparent magnitude of -4. It is often mistaken for a UFO or aircraft for this reasons as per this story:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/04/17/air-canada-pilot-mistook-venus-for-a-plane-injured-16/

I never seen venus moving twice the speed of a helicopter, have you ?. and venus is not orange in colour either.

• Advertisement

Look, who knows what the O.P saw, but it annoys me when uneducated people go off on one saying it's aliens. unidentified flying object means what it says it says nothing regarding aliens or spaceships, I find it hard to figure out why people can't understand the meaning of 3 simple words.

If I went out onto the street and asked people to say the first first word that comes into their head when they hear "UFO", you can be guaranteed the vast majority of them would say aliens. The two terms are practically synonymous.

It's clear as day from what the OP posted here and on the website he linked to that he thinks he saw something extra-terrestrial.

You can ignore that all you want though.

Advertisement