Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO sighting in Dublin/Drumcondra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

zenno wrote: »
    I never seen venus moving twice the speed of a helicopter, have you ?. and venus is not orange in colour either.

Provided as an example to atmospheric conditions causing optical illusions NOT that what the OP saw was Venus. Still putting my money on the ISS.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Des wrote: »
    Do you actually think it was aliens?

Will I move this to the Alien forum? Paranormla? Astronomy?

Ypu have your answer, it was a Chinese Lantern, it wasn't being chased by the Garda Helicopter.

"Trying to get some answers"? You sound like you belong in the Conspiracy Theories Forum tbh.

It was a Chinese Lantern, nothing else.

Jesus.

How can you say it was a chinese lantern for definite...quit being so patronising. Fair enough give your opinion that it may have been one but you have no way of stating unequivocally that it was one

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

Yet you dismiss any rational explanation in the hope that someone tells you saw a little green man in his spacecraft coming for a flying visit?
    Hang on a minute buddy, I've told you what I saw and what I know it wasn't. And as regards the lanterns, I'm not dismissing that possibility at all, I just mentioned that it was raining and there was little/or no wind at the time, which I'm assuming would have some bearing on the speed a Chinese Lantern would travel. Not to mention the helicopter presence in the area. I think the key word here is 'concrete'
    Question for you.

Given that it takes some pretty hi-tech technology to even get a rover to Mars, why do you think Alan the Alien would just pop over to Drumcondra for a fly by? Why wouldn't they land and let us know exactly what they are doing?
    Another childish comment Des and I'm not humouring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

If I went out onto the street and asked people to say the first first word that comes into their head when they hear "UFO", you can be guaranteed the vast majority of them would say aliens. The two terms are practically synonymous.

It's clear as day from what the OP posted here and on the website he linked to that he thinks he saw something extra-terrestrial.

You can ignore that all you want though.

He seen some sort of object, but to speculate that it is of extraterrestrial origin is also wrong from the O.P as he has no proof to say it is. Also to the other question in bold above, it just shows how uneducated most people are when they can't understand what the word unidentified means and also flying and also object... where does it say in any of these three words aliens?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

street wrote: »
    Hi guys I witnessed an orange glowing object flying over the Drumcondra area at approx 00:15 today. Just wondering if anyone in the same area or living nearby areas saw the same thing or something similiar? I also posted on the UFO Research Association site with a detailed description of what I saw here's the link

http://www.ufoi.org/forum/index.php?topic=773.0

Just trying to get to the bottom of it really so if anyone can shed some light please contact me, thanks!

I think that might have been me.

I was flying a spaceship in the Drumcondra area about that time (heading towards Glasnevin) last night and would have been travelling quite fast.

Hope that clears things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

Question for you.

Given that it takes some pretty hi-tech technology to even get a rover to Mars, why do you think Alan the Alien would just pop over to Drumcondra for a fly by?

Going to Roma's for a one and one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

@STREET: As I asked you before, can you please tell us WHY you think it was not a Chinese lantern? Please read my previous two posts re wind speed and altitide before answereing. You are not answering peoples questions here, just spouting that it not a CL without backing it up. I await your answer.

Maybe the words UFO should be changed and removed for good and just call them unidentified aerial phenomena to remove it from this alien stuff.

Because this is why scientists won't study this phenomenon when people keep talking about aliens, when it's not aliens people are seeing it's an object flying that they can't understand so it should be studied as such especially when there are many witnesses and pilots seeing them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He seen some sort of object, but to speculate that it is of extraterrestrial origin is also wrong from the O.P as he has no proof to say it is. Also to the other question in bold above, it just shows how uneducated most people are when they can't understand what the word unidentified means and also flying and also object... where does it say in any of these three words aliens?.

Are you completely unaware of the association between the term "UFO" and extra-terrestrial "sightings" over the last 60 years or so? People DO know what it means, but because the two are so strongly linked they're practically synonymous.

@STREET: As I asked you before, can you please tell us WHY you think it was not a Chinese lantern? Please read my previous two posts re wind speed and altitide before answereing. You are not answering peoples questions here, just spouting that it not a CL without backing it up. I await your answer.

There are a lot of posts haulagebasher, you try answering/commenting on so many that quickly. Give us a break will ya, i'll respond to them all as quickly as I can I know you're dying to prove me wrong or something. I'm not here for that, just to get a solid answer nothing more. I only learned of Chinese lanterns today haven't had time to read up on them in detail.. And to clarify I did post on different site that I believed that the object I saw was not a human craft or was at least not a human craft you would see very often!!
    I'll try to clarify what I meant about the helicopter speed, intelligent movement etc.. Thanks for all the genuine responses so far guys

• Advertisement

Are you completely unaware of the association between the term "UFO" and extra-terrestrial "sightings" over the last 60 years or so? People DO know what it means, but because the two are so strongly linked they're practically synonymous.

Fair enough I see the point you are making. Maybe i'm just trying to be politically correct on the structure of the meaning.

O.P move to time 3.38 did it look at all like this lantern. I'm not saying it was a chinese lantern you seen but it will/could narrow it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nemesisdg

Sacksian wrote: »
    I think that might have been me.

I was flying a spaceship in the Drumcondra area about that time (heading towards Glasnevin) last night and would have been travelling quite fast.

Hope that clears things up.

Cool, questions for you:

How is your craft powered?
    Are you a visiting alien or some sort of billionaire adventure a la Tony Stark?
    What were you doing in Drumcondra?
    Any chance of a go in your spaceship Mister?

Fair enough I see the point you are making. Maybe i'm just trying to be politically correct on the structure of the meaning.

You're right zenno but I take MagicMarker's point aswell. I was caught between the 2 meanings when I saw the object, admittedly in favour of it not being of human origin. Bear in mind that I had no knowledge of chinese lanterns at the time, if indeed it was a chinese lantern.

O.P move to time 3.38 did it look at all like this lantern. I'm not saying it was a chinese lantern you seen but it will/could narrow it down a bit.

In fairness it did..

@STREET: Looking for concrete answers? Shure you've been given plenty concrete answers but you are disregarding them without giving and evidence to show they are anything else. It seems you want to convince yourself that it was of extraterrestrial origin and are on here seeking for people to tell you what you want to hear. The consensus on here, by a large margin, is that it's a Chinese lantern. Will you please answer my question and explain to us why it is you think it is not a CL? You can't just disregard the possibility without giving a rational arguement. Answer please.........

From the description you gave in your OP and before reading the other posts my immediate thoought was Chinese Lantern.

Ok
    You mentioned it went at twice the speed of a helicopter - what is the speed of a helicopter then? was it twice the speed of a helicopter going 10mph or twice the speed of a helicopter going 100mph? such vague observations are completely meaningless you know.

About 50mph, sorry about that..
    (A)You mention there was little or no wind - that may be the case at ground level but at an altitude wind velocity will be greater.

True. Rain could also slow it down though right?
    (B)Then you said it moved "intelligently" - could it not have been turbulence in the wind just causing it to momentarily change its heading and altitude? I certainly think so.

Possibly, but imho at the time it moved in an intelligent manner
    TBH i think you are completely off the mark on this, its a simple old Chinese lantern, plain and simple.

Fair enough, that's your opinion
    (D) I suggest this little excercise - try to recreate the event. You and an assistant should buy ale Chinese lantern and go out on a night with similar wather conditions. You travel a few hundred meters downwind of the release point and then tell your friend to light and launch the lantern. you observe it's appearance, speed and path from the ground. I am quite confident that you will find that it will be pretty similar to what you saw the other night.
    What say you street? Will you try it out for us and prove us wrong?

I might do that alright, when I have time.
    BTW from reading the stuff in the link: Like, did you seriously ring you Baldonnel and the Air Corp over this? What did they tell you? Was it the Air Corp new secret Chinese lantern powered hypersonic spy plane? But of course they wouldn't tell you that cos its a secret.

Haven't contacted them yet but I still might. No need to be childish man about it man..

Thanks for half answering my question. You still have not provided us with any credible arguement as to why you think it is not a chinese lantern.

Why do something completely rational like that, when he could just continue to believe it was the lizard people finally coming to take us away?

Aside from what I saw or didn't see, why have you been so childish about this from the start? You've done nothing but have a go, and haven't really contributed anything to the discussion. Yet you seem to know everything.. IMO you, sir, are a child.

^^^^^^You have just backed yourself into an utterly ludicrous position. You are calling people childish left right and centre while at the same time spouting rubbish about extraterrestrial craft and refusing to accept rational aguements. We are all still awaiting your arguement as to why its not a chinese lantern.

• Advertisement

Mafia?

Cool, another "believer".

It's crap, it was a chinese lantern, it's always a chinese lantern.

Even if it wasn't a chinese lantern, it most certainly wasn't a spaceship.

Apologies for cutting in here Des but look, another one of your typical responses..

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Was it like these? It's a link to a YouTube clip where a guy thinks he spots a UFO but is unsure as to whether it is a lantern or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ey8rt4pF8I&sns=em

Hope u find out what it was once and for all

nehemiah wrote: »
    I think it's more his refusal to listen to the logical explanations mentioned so far. For example, numerous people have mentioned Chinese Lanterns and he has thus far not acknowledged the possibility of it actually being Chinese Lanterns. He has stated that it was travelling at twice the speed of a helicopter, which really doesn't tell anyone anything and he has said that it was travelling 'intelligently', which again doesn't tell us anything. If he heard an engine then we can presume it's travelling 'intelligently'. If not, it means nothing.

The OP seemingly does't want to accept any rational explanation and is therefore leaving himself open to ridicule.

I'm not refusing to listen at all. I just wasn't/am not convinced it was a chinese lantern. Sorry about the lack of speed details it was a helicopter travelling about 50mph. Like I said in another post, i knew nothing about chinese lanterns at the time, and the object appeared to me to be moving like a craft such as a helicopter would move but faster. I would consider the fact that I felt it was manned to explain why I felt it was travelling intelligently. Again, I'm just trying to find out exactly what it was. Maybe it was a chinese lantern, who knows.. It's a shame people are out to ridicule when a person is just looking for help..

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

What if its an extraterrestrial craft disguised as a Chinese lantern?:eek:

Can someone comment on my proposal that he try launching a lantern with a friend to compare its flight to what he saw?@Street: OK then, since you are adamant that it is NOT a chinese lantern perhaps you can tell us WHY you think that? What is it about the UFO that is making you think it is not a chinese lantern? Answer us this bearing in mind the points made in my previous post .

I haven't read up on all the reports of chinese lantern/ufos yet and I am not adamant that it isn't a chinese lantern. I guess i feel it was travelling too fast, looked to be intelligently manned/controlled, weather conditions wouldn't have helped it speed-wise I wouldn't have thought, and the helicopter presense in the area directly having seen it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Hey OP,

how can you tell how far away it is and at what speed it was travelling? That's almost impossible to do with an onject in the sky at night with no sense of parallax or anything around to relate it to. It was almost definatley a chinese lantern

Galadriel wrote: »
    Did you read the link the OP posted? he said that it wasn't a human craft, so if not human then what did he mean?

Alien, of course. Or else a human crafted i've never seen before

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Stiffs

We had lights similar to what you describe in the midlands last summer. Turned out to be a local flight school up in small craft miles from there school. Can't think of the name of the the crafts.. They have wings (obviously) and a large fan like motor at the rear. The operator gets into a sleeping bag like contraption... All sounds very odd. They move strangely and don't have normal aircraft lights just a yellow / orange one.. Looks like good craic.

After a few beers i spotted them one night. Called the missus out and asked her "Are you seeing this also" She said yes. So either were both off our boats or we both saw them!! Or we were both off our boats when we thought we both saw them.. It was one of those moments of... are you seeing what im seeing??

These http://www.google.ie/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1367&bih=714&tbm=isch&tbnid=LTNYOT40-U2zcM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ehow.com/list_7564091_types-personal-aircraft.html&docid=83LLgLK0rR0mWM&imgurl=http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/ehow/images/a07/6q/pr/types-personal-aircraft-1.1-800x800.jpg&w=424&h=283&ei=dC0pUMvvGsyAhQfS5ICgCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=576&vpy=349&dur=874&hovh=184&hovw=276&tx=169&ty=103&sig=105023714732239313926&page=1&tbnh=168&tbnw=227&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0,i:92

Goro wrote: »
    My family live in the Whitehall area and see these lights all the time, they are Chinese Lanterns. There is some Vietnamese community around here and they are always letting them off. Used to freak me out when I first saw them until I saw them up close and realised what they were.

They can bob around and change direction due to to the atmosphere and thermals. At night they can appear higher than they are and this gives the illusion of great speed. They let them off from a back garden near the Collins Ave/Swords Rd junction.

Thanks Goro, that's interesting to hear!

• Advertisement

I've told you why I didn't think it was and still may not be, a CL. I also did not say that it definitely wasn't one. Show me the post where I said "It's not a Chinese Lantern" You and some others seem to be looking for arguments here, which is not what I intended by posting about the incident in the first place. Grow up!

Advertisement