Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Boundary

Options
  • 13-08-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I bought a semi D house last year and the back garden has an interesting bourdary set up. The people I bought off and the people in the house next door where very friendly (had been living beside each other 60+ years) and by the looks of things sort of shared their gardens. There is an archway between the 2 patios, then a short hedge maybe 3meters long about 5ft height, designed I assume so that you can't see into either others kitchen, therefore afording a small bit of privacy. Then there is no hedging or fencing at all stretching to the end of the garden about another 15m. There is a single wire stretched between the 2 gardens and a few small shrubs but in essence nothing at all.

I'm quite happy with this arrangment as my neighbour is lovely and I'm happy for him to keep on eye on my propery, as is he happy to keep an eye on mine. But he is old and I'd imagine he won't be kicking around much longer and I'll have new neighours :(

My question is, in the event that new neighbours want a fence put up, who is responsible for the cost and how is it decided how high the fence can be. Is planning permission required for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you want to build a fence, you pay for it, your neighbour may or may not contribute.
    IIRC it's 2mts high to the rear and 1.4mts to the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Thanks Aujopimur, I don't actually want to build anything, just want to know if new neighbours move in can they demand that I contribute financially to a fence/wall between the gardens. And what imput I would have into the structure of the fence/wall?

Who or what are the IIRC?

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

iirc = If I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You're under no obligation to contribute to the cost, so you have little input into it's detail.
    On the other hand as it would be benefical to both parties and in the interest of being good neighbours, a joint input would be my way to go.

Advertisement