Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHY WON'T MY HENS LAY!!!!

• 13-08-2012 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

Hens not laying.... plenty of laying mash...plenty of grit... plenty of water.

About three weeks ago the dog got into the hutch and slept in there with them... and they stopped laying.

Other than the dog, I can't think of anything unusual happening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I'd say he did more than sleep with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

MAsh as in chick crumb mushed up with water?

It is the time of year that some slow down, we have a few non layers here at the moment. They might have gotten a scare from the dog tho.
    have they been wormed and flea'd recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

At the risk of sounding obvious any chance they are laying out and you've just not spotted where yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Did a rooster come into the yard yet, and catch them chickens right off of their guard?

http://www.celtic-folk.de/lyrics/the_rooster.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

gimmick wrote: »
    Did a rooster come into the yard yet, and catch them chickens right off of their guard?

http://www.celtic-folk.de/lyrics/the_rooster.htm

Wouldn't stop them laying. Just mean ud get a foetus on ur toast!!! A bit of extra protein for the mod!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

What kind of chickens are they? Some types, like bantams will only lay in spring and then go broody, or if they are broilers, they can do this too. I'd also give them a bit more varied diet with some green stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

What kind of chickens are they? Some types, like bantams will only lay in spring and then go broody, or if they are broilers, they can do this too. I'd also give them a bit more varied diet with some green stuff.

They go mad for tomatoes but they don't eat anything green so I can't mix it up that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Next time you cut the grass, throw them some of the cuttings.
    I've been doing that with my birds for years, and they love it! It's a great way to get greens into them.

Advertisement