Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for 6 month Bichon Frise?

• 13-08-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

I have a 6 month bichon. For past couple months have been giving him pedigree puppy pouches (yellow packs)

It costs around €4.80 for a pack (8 pouches in pack)

So its proving costly. Just wondering if anyone had advice on alternatives i could try. Was thinking maybe some dry nuts during the day. Pouch morning and evening

what would anyone with more experience than me recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Stop feeding him pedigree for a start, its awful stuff, prob the worst you can feed to be honest.

Also, get him off pouches. They shouldnt really be fed wet food as they have no real nutritional value for a dog as they are made up of crap bit of meat, and mainly water.

Go to your local pet shop and get a good quality dry puppy food like Burns, Red Mills, Clinivet, Arden Grange, Eukanuba and so on.

At 6 months, your pup should be getting at lesat 3 meals if not 4 a day for another few months.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Thanks, even though everywhere else i'm reading it says at 6 months i should be trying to get him used to 2 meals a day!

also what do you think about soaking the food in water and making it softer and easier to eat?

I perosnally would feed a pup 3 meals until they are 12 months then move to 2 then. Pups need little and often.

Its fine to soak the food, but its not necessary to be honest. You could soak half then put the rest in dry. Its better for them dry as it helps strengthen up their teeth and chewing etc.

Great thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The amount of meals you give a pup of that age depends on the size and activity etc. smaller dogs tend to eat smaller meals and often to two to three a day at this stage you'll know yourself if the pup needs a midday meal.

It would work out cheaper using a middle of the range dry dog food, there are zillions of different types so it's up to you what you use just make the change gradually to avoid a runny botty. Soaking the dried is fine you can make it really soggy or a little bit some dogs prefer just plain dried. Trick is to stick with your choice smaller dogs can be fussy esp. once they grow out of puppy stage it's so easy to give in when they look at you and beg.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Stop feeding him pedigree for a start, its awful stuff, prob the worst you can feed to be honest.

One thing i forgot to ask is whats so wrong with the pedigree brand of food?

The ingredients for a start. They are awful, very little meat content, made up with cereals and fillers made cheaply.

andreac wrote: »
    The ingredients for a start. They are awful, very little meat content, made up with cereals and fillers made cheaply.

ok, wasn't aware. I just presumed as it was a well known brand it must be ok.

would you reccommend any particular puppy treats i could use for him?

Advertisement