Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston

Options
  • 13-08-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Im a female and heading to Boston on my own for a week in October.
    I have a few day trips planned.
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips or reccomendations for me.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

There is loads to do in Boston. If Cape Cod isn't one of your day trips try and fit it in. We did one with Grayline Tours and it was well worth it. You get to see the Kennedy Compound and it includes a boat trip and lunch. We also did Salem but I didn't think it was as good and was more suitable for children.

Off the top of my head I would recommend doing a Duck tour. It was really good fun and one of the highlights of the trip. The tour guides are brilliant and really make it memorable. Go to the top of the Prudential Centre for a nice view of the city. There is also pretty good shops there. The JFK library/museum was really interesting if you are into that sort of thing. There are loads of tours in the city that do walking tours of the freedom trail and all the historic sites but they are pretty manageable on your own. There is so much more like Fenway Park, Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, Boston Common, The Old State House, the aquarium etc. )

I would also recommend a cruise of harbour. Loads of companies run them and depending on what you want to do there are some where you can get off and visit the nearby islands like Spectacle Island... There are a few others as well.

Their metro (the T) is very easy to use and very reasonable. It comes in handy for visiting places like Harvard and the JFK museum. Personally, I thought Harvard was a bit of a let down but if you have never been to Boston before then its probably one of those places you have to go see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Thanks
    I've a day trip booked around Boston so am hoping to see a few sites that way. I've also a day trip booked to cape cod but its on the last day of the season so im hoping things are open.
    Also have a trip to Salem booked and a trip to the outlets booked.

I'm more worried about being on my own for dinner etc. My mum doesn't want me to walk or get subway anywhere, so im just wondering is it regarded a safe city?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Thanks
    I've a day trip booked around Boston so am hoping to see a few sites that way. I've also a day trip booked to cape cod but its on the last day of the season so im hoping things are open.
    Also have a trip to Salem booked and a trip to the outlets booked.

I'm more worried about being on my own for dinner etc. My mum doesn't want me to walk or get subway anywhere, so im just wondering is it regarded a safe city?

The outlet shopping there is great, particularly Wrentham. I wouldn't worry about stuff being closed in Cape Cod. My brother is there on a J1 at the moment and the place is quite residential as well so I can't imagine they would shut down. There is a mall there. We didn't see it at the time but he has mentioned so if you want to do some shopping there check it out.

There are hop on hop off tours in Salem which is a good way of seeing the place.

I thought it was really safe. We used the metro a lot in the evenings and had no problems. To be honest I feel more uncomfortable at a luas stop with people begging. I cant remember seeing people hanging around the metro. We walked around a lot as well and it was fine. Streets are really well lit and I don't ever remember feeling that any area was dodgy. Except maybe around Fenway park at night. Its not that it was dodgy but its more residential and less people around. Where are you staying?

Im staying in the Back Bay area.
    my mum really doesnt want me to get the subway, but i think i will have to. Im useless at finding my way around, so am hoping the subway is easy to navigate???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Im staying in the Back Bay area.
    my mum really doesnt want me to get the subway, but i think i will have to. Im useless at finding my way around, so am hoping the subway is easy to navigate???

I've been to Boston twice visiting a friend from school who lives there now. The subway is grand. I've used the red line and the green line a lot and they were fine. My friend told me the orange T line passes through some dodgy enough parts of Boston. I took the orange T line once out to the Sam Adams Brewery. The orange line was fine during the day, couldn't tell you about night time. I took the T everywhere in Boston at all different times and never felt threatened.

The subway is really easy to use. The lines are colour coded and you will easily see where lines overlap at different stations. Just make sure you get on the train that's going in the right direction. Don't be afraid of the subway, it's really efficient and it's a great way to get around Boston. Buy a week long Charlie Card when you get to Boston.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/passes/

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    I'm just a bit scared of navigating it on my own. But then im scared of the London underground and I'm from there!!!
    have been researching areas today and im getting excited now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Thanks.
    I'm just a bit scared of navigating it on my own. But then im scared of the London underground and I'm from there!!!
    have been researching areas today and im getting excited now :)

If you can get around on the London Underground, you'll be fine on the Boston T :)

I've done all that stuff Daisy mentioned and can recommend them. If you want to get out of Boston for a bit you can get to a lot of New England from South Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

Boston is pretty damn safe, particularly the Back Bay.

The subways are fine to use, day and night.

Get some seafood also. Legal Seafood. Jasper's Summer Shack. Neptune Oyster in the North End are all great.

Tons of good bars also.

I live here and I love it.

Kind of reluctant to sit in a bar on my own.
    4 weeks away now, can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

All those restaurants have bars where you can order food, instead of getting a table.

People frequently eat there on their own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement