Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave work and go back to college? Can someone please offer advice

Options
  • 13-08-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all I am a 22 year old femal and face making a difficult and hope someone can help. I am currently working full time as a receptionist and bringing 380 a week but I dont know what to do about going back to college. I am contemplating either full time or part time but dont know which and also in what area.

I had always seen myself doing something business related but lately after a spell in hospital I became inspired by the doctors and nurses to undertake a career in healthcare. I do have an interest in this area and feel it would be a difficult but very rewarding job. I have studied anatomy and physiology as part of fetac and acheived a distinction to my surprise as I had never much interest in biology in school. But then again Im tied as I dont want to jump ship on a whim. Can anyone offer any advice on what to do or what career area would be better? I would be extremely greatful. Also feel free to move this if it is in wrong place thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patk72

If it interests you i say go for it ,i'm starting in sept, psyh nursing having no experence but an general interest and i'm 40 so it's never too late.Do a bit of research first, do a pre exam course if your leaving won't get you in and go for it. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Anyone lucky enough to have a job shouldn't leave it, especially if its full-time, that would be my advice. Regarding education there's lots of part-time options available now, you could dip your toe in the education water, without huge commitment. Then if its for you continue, either full or part-time. The VECs run lots of part-time courses, including healthcare.

It sounds like you might be frustrated in your current role, have you considered pursuing extra training or qualifications, while in your present job? Have you discussed your career options with your employer? Although on-the-job courses would have to be job related, there is the advantage that you usually get paid time off to do them.

Healthcare is a fascinating and rewarding area, but its an area that's within the public service, so potentially frustrating as well. So its not just the work you'd be doing you have to consider, but also the context and environment, you'd be doing it in.

A once off consultation with a careers counsellor might help. Some can be accessed free of charge, through your local VEC, or adult education service.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MaryMak39

thanks guys. Thats what my mom thinks oracle but everyone else is telling me I need an education also and the job im in im going no where so its tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

MaryMak39 wrote: »
    thanks guys. Thats what my mom thinks oracle but everyone else is telling me I need an education also and the job im in im going no where so its tough!

Hi Mary, I was 25 in a very well paid secure job. But I knew I'd never be happy. I always wanted to be a nurse, so I applied, got it, packed in the job and I've never looked back. It's tough financially but I work part time in a shop. I'm going into 3rd year now so I'm half way there. It was The scariest decision I've ever made, but I'm so grateful I did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

"lucky to have a job". Everytime I hear this line it infuriates me. You know Oracle life is short and its not all about being lucky to have a job.

I left my full time job last year after 15 years as an engineer and went back to college full time doing computers. Although it was the hardest thing I ever did in my life it was worth it and I don't regret it. Loving the course and doing damn well in it.

OP Im nearly 40 with kids, you're 22, you're so lucky to be so young to start something new. Don't let a job that's going nowhere hold you back. You might regret it like me in years to come. But ultimately only you can decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

im in the process meself lad

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Crumbs87

I packed in a full time job when i was 20 to return to college. The money was great and it had good career prospects but i was miserable in it and knew it wasn't what i wanted to do with my life.

4 tough years and a degree later, I'm back in full time work in an area i love. Best decision i ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Crumbs87 wrote: »
    I packed in a full time job when i was 20 to return to college. The money was great and it had good career prospects but i was miserable in it and knew it wasn't what i wanted to do with my life.

4 tough years and a degree later, I'm back in full time work in an area i love. Best decision i ever made.

Wish I did that 15 years ago! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

It's a great idea to go back to college, but you seem quite unsure of what you actually want to do, so don't rush the decision or you could end up doing something you dislike. Try doing some short courses in areas of interest, and start researching the courses you're thinking about doing and the job prospects from them etc. Really look into it instead of just leaving a job without any sure idea of what you really want.

You're still young, just take the time to really consider what it is that you want & will enjoy and what is going to ultimately make you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mar o regan

I think you should go for it. I am 42 and now considering doing a course for medical secretarial as I am working full time I can only do it with pittman training which is very expensive. I really regret that I havent done anything about it before now. So if its playing on your mind check it out and dont regret later.

• Advertisement

I think you should go for it. I am 42 and now considering doing a course for medical secretarial as I am working full time I can only do it with pittman training which is very expensive. I really regret that I havent done anything about it before now. So if its playing on your mind check it out and dont regret later.

I wouldnt advise that, you wouldnt be able for it at all lad

If this is meant as a laugh HYB stick a smiley on it. If its not then please read the charter: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054978393 and note the bit about this being a 'helpful community'
    Thanks,
    Paperclip

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭toc2012

hi marymak
    When do you turn 23? if you before jan 1st, then that will give you time to decide what exactly you want to do and where you want to do it, also you will recieve BTEA which will help financally,
    hope this helps
    toc

toc2012 wrote: »
    hi marymak
    When do you turn 23? if you before jan 1st, then that will give you time to decide what exactly you want to do and where you want to do it, also you will recieve BTEA which will help financally,
    hope this helps
    toc

Unfortunately this isn't true, the op is in full time employment and not receiving social welfare therefore she doesn't qualify for BTEA, but she may qualify for a grant. This isn't sufficient to live on but a part time job in the evenings and weekends is possible. I'm doing it, it's tough but it's a means to an end. It would be wonderful not to have to work as well but that's the way the cookie crumbled. If I Had been receiving social welfare for 12 months prior to starting I would have gotten BTEA but I finished my full time job on the Friday, started college on the Wednesday and got a part time job 4 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭toc2012

smilerxxx wrote: »
    If I Had been receiving social welfare for 12 months prior to starting.

It is actually 9 months which allows the OP the period of time from dec to aug to qualify

information on BTEA can be found here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

toc2012 wrote: »
    smilerxxx wrote: »
    If I Had been receiving social welfare for 12 months prior to starting.

It is actually 9 months which allows the OP the period of time from dec to aug to qualify

information on BTEA can be found here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

They've changed the time requirement since I started apologies for that, but your post was unclear that the op needed to be in receipt of social welfare. She would need to give up work voluntarily, wait the 9 weeks to qualify for jsb then remain on social welfare for 9 months (the 9 week waiting period to sign on may have changed too). On another note if the op is made redundant (not voluntarily) you qualify immediately for BTEA

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

If you have an itch thats really an itch then you will need to scratch it eventually.

By the sound of it your itch is still in its infancy and needs further investigation before you jump into something. But this should be an exciting process and as others suggested being almost 23 and mature student status is a huge benefit to your options.

You are making very decent money at the moment so don't rush to throw that up without a clear and definite path in place.
    Receptionist experience is very valuable for working part time also, so that might be a very viable source of income part time for you.

Why not use a weeks holiday leave to do some work shadowing in a hospital and see if it's what you expected. That will make or break your decision on healthcare Im sure.

If you decide healthcare is not for you then there are a wide array of other options for part time study that you could do while working. Or you could look at a programme that combines work study like hotel management with Failte Ireland for instance.
    If you pursue a business course then maybe go with a course with a particular angle, general business studies certs and degree grads are ten a penny these days so might not give you much of a competitive advantage.

At this stage try to enjoy the process of figuring it out and investigating your options, remember age is on your side and the fact that you have a job are on your side at the moment. But definitely don't let let having a job in a tough job market stop you pursuing what you want to do-you have the 40+ working years left...too many to have regrets!

kob29 wrote: »

<Mod Snip>

Off topic and contributing nothing to the thread.
    Less of it please HYB
    Paperclip

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

What's the problem here? Having spent 15 minutes out of my day responding to someone (and several others actually) a general phrase is what's picked up on? Actually one that a guidance counselor used with me 10 years ago ironically. Best of luck OP. I give up here!!

kob29 wrote: »
    What's the problem here? Having spent 15 minutes out of my day responding to someone (and several others actually) a general phrase is what's picked up on? Actually one that a guidance counselor used with me 10 years ago ironically. Best of luck OP. I give up here!!

It wasn't directed at you. HelloYoungBoy quoted your post & said something about it, and a mod edited HelloYoungBoy's post, but left in the quote from you so it kinda looks like it was directed at you but it wasn't. Your reply was actually really good & I agree with what you said =]

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

leaving my fulltime job that ive been at for 5 years, going part-time, its 1900 a month, not outstanding, need something better though, feel like im wasting away if i dont try college. i know the next four year are going to be though but im going to do my best, weigh up your options, if you think you can realistically support yourself , do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Left very secure, well paid job at 28 to go back to college full time. Could not be happier with my decision. Don't do something if your heart isn't in it. Definitely go back if you want to be in health care.

My main advice would be, between now and then, save as much money as you can. Being poor sucks, especially if you're used to having a steady income. :( (totally worth it though)

thanks to everyone for their replies. I think the best decision is to go back now while I am still young. But which in your opinions would be a better degree nursing/midwifery or business/hr management ? I have an interest in both bt which would be better in terms of salary working conditions, working relations, career progression etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 helent4

If you are divided between the two paths, if you know people in both areas it would be worthwhile talking to them about their work. If you can get free work experience in the areas that would help too. Would the company you are in now let you get some experience in their HR dept? I am in the middle of changing too. I recently handed in my notice and am heading back to college to retrain. What really helped me was I went and spoke to a career guidance counsellor. Was great to talk through different options with them. It was good to talk it through with them as they are objective and they are not at all like the ones I remember from school

thanks to everyone for their replies. I think the best decision is to go back now while I am still young. But which in your opinions would be a better degree nursing/midwifery or business/hr management ? I have an interest in both bt which would be better in terms of salary working conditions, working relations, career progression etc??

I think you should try getting some more experience & do some more research on jobs etc. in both areas to help you decide. That's the best option for you right now so that you make the right choice for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

22 is really young, if you don't have a third level education then I would make that a priority.

As for having a full time job, if you were older with responsibilities then this would need more consideration.

But at your age getting a BA degree is more important, it will set you on a decent career path while opening more doors and opportunities in the long run.

Just do your research. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

To be honest MaryMak, no-one can make that kind of decision for you except yourself. None of us here knows your likes, dislikes, skills, aptitudes, or abilities and so it would be difficult to suggest which would be the option that suit you and your personality the best. :)

Salary and working conditions, while important, aren't the be all and end all of a job. Enjoying what you do, getting a sense of fulfillment from the work you do everyday will have much more to do with how well you settle into a job. Taking a course and settling into a career path on the basis of working conditions and salary alone could bring you right back to where you are now in four or five years time. There are lots of people out there who trained as accountants (e.g.) because it was a safe bet, career wise and after a few years found themselves dreading Monday morning and wising they had done something else.

You are ahead of a lot of people in one sense MaryMak as you have a strong interest in 2 distinct areas. As others here have said research them. Spend a couple of months finding out as much as you can about both fields. Don't just rely on course descriptions or careers articles. Speak to people who are doing these kind of jobs, speak to people who are currently doing the courses and those who have recently completed them. Go to careers and job fairs, gather as much 'real' information as you can and then make a list of what you need to have in a job to make you happy. Do you want to work with people? Do you need regular hours? How are you with responsibility? Are you willing to travel to work? Have you a family and how will they be affected by these jobs? What are your financial commitments? etc.

Figuring out what to do for a large chunk of your life is a complicated process and rightly so but if you put in the effort then the rewards should come.

There is a book that might help. Its by Richard Nelson Bolles and is called 'What Colour is your Parachute'. Its mainly about job search but it also gives good advice on ways to look at identifying your skills and priorities. Most libraries carry a copy or can get it for you. Its also available on Amazon.

Best of luck with what you decide. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Hi all I am a 22 year old femal and face making a difficult and hope someone can help. I am currently working full time as a receptionist and bringing 380 a week but I dont know what to do about going back to college. I am contemplating either full time or part time but dont know which and also in what area.

I had always seen myself doing something business related but lately after a spell in hospital I became inspired by the doctors and nurses to undertake a career in healthcare. I do have an interest in this area and feel it would be a difficult but very rewarding job. I have studied anatomy and physiology as part of fetac and acheived a distinction to my surprise as I had never much interest in biology in school. But then again Im tied as I dont want to jump ship on a whim. Can anyone offer any advice on what to do or what career area would be better? I would be extremely greatful. Also feel free to move this if it is in wrong place thanks

Work experience is what you need. Don't think or fret about it just do it (no copyright infringement intended;)). Remember that university graduates, as a rule, have consistently higher earnings than those without a third level degree. They also have more life satisfaction and live longer. If you combine these three things with something you enjoy doing you're on to a winner!:D

AntiRip wrote: »
    "lucky to have a job". Everytime I hear this line it infuriates me. You know Oracle life is short and its not all about being lucky to have a job.

I left my full time job last year after 15 years as an engineer and went back to college full time doing computers. Although it was the hardest thing I ever did in my life it was worth it and I don't regret it. Loving the course and doing damn well in it.

OP Im nearly 40 with kids, you're 22, you're so lucky to be so young to start something new. Don't let a job that's going nowhere hold you back. You might regret it like me in years to come. But ultimately only you can decide.

One thing that my life has taught me is that we are not always internally ready for what may be best for us. I think that when we are internally ready that the intangible inside us 'clicks' and then lets us fulfil this in the physical world. So you may have regret in the sense that you wished you had done this course sooner but you may not have been ready for it at the time. Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that is is better to achieve when ready than to try and fail when not ready, thus leaving one to mourn for something they truly love. I know I sound like a hippy but I'm not really.;)

[QUOTE= I know I sound like a hippy but I'm not really.;)[/QUOTE]

ah but you are really ! :P lol only messing! I know i have a good job with lovely people and good money but its not enough, I want to have something to say I am qualified to do this and somewhere I can progress. I love working with people and after a spell recently in hospital I seen how unbelievable these people are (nurses doctors etc) there knowledge and their work just inspired me to do something worthwhile with mine in a positive way. I hope this doesnt sound weird :/

Advertisement