Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband In Ramelton Question

Options
  • 13-08-2012 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

One for residents of Ramelton...

What kind of internet speeds can you get out there?

We're thinking of moving out there for the cheaper rent, as well as peace and quiet. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I'm not from Ramelton but if you are using a landline its much the same as any other small town or village in the country. If you are close to the telephone exchange you should get speeds up to 5 or 6 Mb/sec. Go a couple of miles out of town you'll be down to around 2.5 Mb/sec. After that it would be less than 1 mb/sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Digiweb satellte say they can give you 10mb anywhere in Ireland ... but i haven't dealt with them so can't say for sure.

They use that European sat system so same speeds here that they get using the service in Europe.

Think its 40ish a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

danniemcq wrote: »
    Digiweb satellte say they can give you 10mb anywhere in Ireland ... but i haven't dealt with them so can't say for sure.

They use that European sat system so same speeds here that they get using the service in Europe.

Think its 40ish a month.

That would be handy but i think they have a fairly low monthly cap! we need unlimited really for our internet ;)

We might just get another place in town anyway, rentals seem to be a lot cheaper than they were a year ago.

this was on their FAQ but not sure how recent it was
    Are there limits to how much data I can transfer ?
    Digiweb have designed the service to be as open and flexible as possible, while ensuring fair access for all users. Unlike other services, where hard transfer limits apply over which you are charged per additional MB, Digiweb primarily employ a Fair Access Policy. In summary this means that during peak usage times, heavier users of the service will experience some reduction in their connection speed, ensuring an equitable access for all users throughout the day. There are no hard download caps nor any hidden charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

danniemcq wrote: »
    this was on their FAQ but not sure how recent it was

:rolleyes: so what they are saying is at peak times there will be too many people on our system and it'll slow down to a crawl, and when you phone up they will read that bit out of the T&C's small print somewhere, some cop out that!

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: so what they are saying is at peak times there will be too many people on our system and it'll slow down to a crawl, and when you phone up they will read that bit out of the T&C's small print somewhere, some cop out that!

still better than Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Don't go for satelite if you plan on using Skype/gaming or any real time applications because the latency is a killer.

Advertisement