Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland

Options
  • 13-08-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

tl;dr: advice needed on renting in Ireland.

I'm looking for some general advice on the Irish rental sector. I'm currently living in England but have to move to Ireland for a job. I'd like to arrange accommodation before I leave rather than staying in hotels until I find a place. I'm moving to the South-East. What is the rental sector like in Ireland? In England here it's a bit of a mix bag between good and bad landlords but most that I've dealt with have been decent. Are the rents advertised on daft.ie a good indicator of price or could I be getting ripped off? Also is there much room for negotiation on rent, length of lease that sort of thing? And deposits? In England we have a deposit retention scheme but I can't seem to find if you have one in Ireland? Do you? If not who holds the deposit during the tenancy?

Thanks for reading and any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

- Bob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You'll get the same mix of landlords, some are good, some bad.

There's room for negotiation on rents, usually, but not a lot, again you might get someone digging their heels in, but it never hurts to ask.

Leases are usually for a year and very few landlords would budge on this.

You'd pay a month's rent as a deposit (along with the first months rent) before you move in. There is no scheme for holding or administering deposits and complaints about deposits being held by landlords, or used for the last month's rent by tenants, probably make up 80% of the complaints you see on here.

When you move out, if the landlord unreasonably (in your opinion) keeps some or all of your deposit, you can take them to the PRTB to try and get it back, this can take 6 or 8 months though.

Take time-stamped photos before you move in, and before you leave when you've cleaned the place.

Advertisement