Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help tracking missing phone

• 13-08-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to help my girlfriend track her missing HTC Desire. It was misplaced on Saturday and there's been no sign of it since. It's on silent, no data or GPS enabled but it is still ringing. She didn't install any tracker apps before it went AWOL and we can't remotely install any tracer apps (such as plan B) as the data is not on......

Any ideas how we can trace it? The phone has not been used (no calls or texts etc.) since it went missing. Anything would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Nothing you can do except keep calling it and hope someone answers.
    Issac wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm trying to help my girlfriend track her missing HTC Desire. It was misplaced on Saturday and there's been no sign of it since. It's on silent, no data or GPS enabled but it is still ringing. She didn't install any tracker apps before it went AWOL and we can't remotely install any tracer apps (such as plan B) as the data is not on......

Any ideas how we can trace it? The phone has not been used (no calls or texts etc.) since it went missing. Anything would be appreciated, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

elderlemon wrote: »
    Nothing you can do except keep calling it and hope someone answers.

I was afraid that's what I'd be told! Damn. Thanks anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

was gps specifically disabled?

is it possible it's still on?

If so you could try setting up latitude on the gmail account the phone is registered to, and there is a (very) outside chance the phone might appear in the google maps of someone (you, most likely) she chooses to share her location with.

In saying that, there's every chance you must set the preference in the phone itself in order to share her location, but it could be defaulted to share...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

OP, there is always a way, despite what the others here will have you believe

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout.labs.planb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

That's funny. After I responded above I went and thought about it... could you remotely install an app and have it repond...

I'm going to try is on my S3 and see if it works.

subway wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

subway wrote: »

apologies to all, fully read the OP, and without data on i think you may be fecked

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I've been trying everything for the last couple of hours - including pulling apart the smelly smelly bin that happened to be put out just after the phone went missing. Needless to say there's been no joy and hope is fading fast (the battery is doing well to have lasted this long!). The no data connection and no GPS has rendered all attempts to remotely access the device useless. The OH has bitten the bullet and ordered a new phone. I guess the other will do as a spare if it ever turns up. Thanks again for the help!

Advertisement