Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log pyramid cake... what is it?

Options
  • 13-08-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm trying to remember what a local traditional cake is called. We used to get it in Cork, in the family run shops. It was a typical log length, but pyramid shaped, as in like a Toblerone. Inside was like a marble cake and there may have been cream. The cake was covered with chocolate. I haven't see one is years and no-one can remember what they were called. Any help?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Was it fresh baked or in a foil wrapper? If it's the foil wrapper version I know the cakes you're talking about & see them a lot in Spars & Centras/other convenience shops in Dublin. Will try & spot one on the way home & get a name for the maker

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Battenburg Cakes...lovely with a cup of tea....you have to fight for end pieces though...only one side not covered in chocolate. The Old Mill do them and you get them still in Dunnes and Supervalus

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cjohnson

I've checked with my mother and she remembers them to be packaged in a box, similar to what the Gateaux brand is now. I've never seen them in Dublin, so would be curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The Battenberg made by Thompsons bakery on McCurtain St in Cork was the nicest, anything produced since has been crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

Battenburg is rectangle, two tone on inside and totally enclosed in marzipan not chocolate. I know the cakes you mean but have not seen one in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 cjohnson

No, not the Batenburg, which is branded by several companies. This cake was chocolate covered, but was a 3D lengthened triangle. Like a solid toblerone cake...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

cjohnson wrote: »
    No, not the Batenburg, which is branded by several companies. This cake was chocolate covered, but was a 3D lengthened triangle. Like a solid toblerone cake...

I know which one you're talking about but I'm pretty sure that was a form of battenburg cake also no?

Advertisement