Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best golf lessons in limerick!?

• 13-08-2012 1:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have just satrted playing golf and would like to get some lessons. Where is the best place to get lessons? Does anyone know a place which offers reasonably priced lessons?

Also, I saw a sign for Rathbane golfclub. Does anyone know how much the membership or green fees cost? I checked the website but couldn't find the information on there.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Donal McSweeney in Unigolf in Castletroy or Barbara Hackett in Coonagh Driving Range would probably be the best for lessons. Rathbane's membership is approx. €575 with an additional €100 to become a competition playing member (they also have a pro who does lessons I think). Ballyneety Golf Club is opening up again next April/May and they are looking for membership of €695 per year to become a full competition playing member or €4,750 for 10 year membership.

Ballyneety would be much better run that Rathbane I would imagine from the point of view of getting out on the course to play. There are often queues of people on the first tee in Rathbane waiting to get out whereas I reckon they would operate a much stricter time sheet basis in Ballyneety and it would be the better course and is only 10 minutes out the road from Rathbane.

Forgot to add green fees are approx. €15 in Rathbane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Wilbert13 wrote: »
    Donal McSweeney in Unigolf in Castletroy or Barbara Hackett in Coonagh Driving Range would probably be the best for lessons. Rathbane's membership is approx. €575 with an additional €100 to become a competition playing member (they also have a pro who does lessons I think). Ballyneety Golf Club is opening up again next April/May and they are looking for membership of €695 per year to become a full competition playing member or €4,750 for 10 year membership.

Ballyneety would be much better run that Rathbane I would imagine from the point of view of getting out on the course to play. There are often queues of people on the first tee in Rathbane waiting to get out whereas I reckon they would operate a much stricter time sheet basis in Ballyneety and it would be the better course and is only 10 minutes out the road from Rathbane.

your a sound man, thanks so much, i`ll look into them both for lessons. And check out the courses. Thank again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

John Coyle who is/was a pro used to do lessons in Adare - not sure what he is up to/still around these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

There is also a guy in the shopping center in castletroy where superquinn is that is very good by all accounts. Think is name is Tommy Murphy. He runs the golf shop also. I've known a couple of people that he has done wonders with. From what I know he was a former european tour member as well. This guy and Donal McSweeney are your best bet locally.

• Advertisement

You're welcome, I like to see people taking up the game

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

Rathbane membership is €545 for the year and €335 for a mon - thurs membership. There may be queues but just shows the popularity of the only municipal course in the area.

Lessons can be received in Rathbane from Mike Quinlivan or Barbara Hackett

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Thanks everyone so much. I must get a lesson or two. I played my second round ever, shot a 112........par was 72.......Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Adare Manor hotel course is an excellent choice for a lesson. It is by far the best facility because of the condition of the teeing ground and chipping facility, world class and very reasonable rates from the pro's there. John Coyle has been gone for a few years now (to China) but Gary, Graeme and Mark are top class and also it's a beautiful surrounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 scotty63

Donal mc Sweeney in unigolf is excellent. He uses video analysis and will email you a video of the lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 eamonn1982

maybe if money is an issue learn the mere basics off youtube, grip, aim, posture and stance and then get lessons as 30euro to be shown how to grip the club and maybe one other thing will add up each time. donal mcseeney is expensive for lessons. barbra hacket is not good imo. lee harrington in ballyclough is by far the best and great value imo.
    for membership limerick golf club and castletroy are extremely expensive. rathbane is cheap but you only get what you pay for there. ballyneety will be fantastic and great value for membership if it opens in a few months time

Advertisement