Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO sighting in Dublin/Drumcondra

Options
  • 13-08-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi guys I witnessed an orange glowing object flying over the Drumcondra area at approx 00:15 today. Just wondering if anyone in the same area or living nearby areas saw the same thing or something similiar? I also posted on the UFO Research Association site with a detailed description of what I saw here's the link

http://www.ufoi.org/forum/index.php?topic=773.0

And on boards.ie here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80209673#post80209673

Just trying to get to the bottom of it really so if anyone can shed some light please contact me, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Very high probability that that was just a Chinese lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

Prenderb wrote: »
    Very high probability that that was just a Chinese lantern.

Thanks Prenderb, maybe that's what it was I don't know. I really feel it was something else though. While I was out it was raining and there was little to no wind? And there were helicopters hovering about Drumcondra and nearby areas almost immediately after I saw the object. Would they be out looking for a Chinese lantern??

Hoping one of you guys on here might have seen something..

Bear in mind that even a little higher than ground level, away from buildings and trees, there is usually a little more wind than we can feel at ground level. This might explain the movement you observed. As for the rain, well the lanterns are usually covered so that would shelter the candle.

I would suggest that the helicopter activity was coincidental, probably police or rescue related.

Bear in mind that even a little higher than ground level, away from buildings and trees, there is usually a little more wind than we can feel at ground level. This might explain the movement you observed. As for the rain, well the lanterns are usually covered so that would shelter the candle.

I would suggest that the helicopter activity was coincidental, probably police or rescue related.

True, but could it make the lantern travel around twice the speed of a helicopter? Actually I mentioned the rain as I thought it might have an impact on speed, maybe weight it down/slow it down..

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

street wrote: »
    True, but could it make the lantern travel around twice the speed of a helicopter? Actually I mentioned the rain as I thought it might have an impact on speed, maybe weight it down/slow it down..

If it was a Chinese lantern it would appear to be moving quicker than the helicopter if it was closer to you than the chopper. At night time it would be hard to judge the distance an object is away from you.

• Advertisement

street wrote: »

As Murrayp suggests, at night, with no reference to gauge against, its very hard to estimate the speed of any object in the sky.

Given the colour (orange) and behaviour you mention in the other links, I'd be 100% sure that it was a Chinese Lantern you saw.

Have you searched youtube or other video sites for what Chinese Lanterns look like in the sky? It might help you make your mind up.

murrayp4 wrote: »
    If it was a Chinese lantern it would appear to be moving quicker than the helicopter if it was closer to you than the chopper. At night time it would be hard to judge the distance an object is away from you.

Thanks Murray, very interesting. Sorry I don't know the exact speed of the object I could only compare it to twice that of a helicopter a travelling at a reasonable pace..

As Murrayp suggests, at night, with no reference to gauge against, its very hard to estimate the speed of any object in the sky.

Given the colour (orange) and behaviour you mention in the other links, I'd be 100% sure that it was a Chinese Lantern you saw.

Have you searched youtube or other video sites for what Chinese Lanterns look like in the sky? It might help you make your mind up.

Yeah Prenderb I did see a video that helped..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql7viYuKShc&feature=player_embedded

Still though, I'll never be sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

hi Street,

It does seem likely it was a Chinese Lantern and they just need a gentle puff of wind for them to drift a long way before burning out.

An interesting observation of the object's speed versus the helicopters. As the others have suggested, it is to do with distance.

A good analogy is when you see a plane travelling high overhead in the daytime and then spot a bird flying low above the ground. The bird seems to be going faster than the plane as they both cross your field of view. We know the plane is significantly quicker though but due to its distance from the observer it appears to crawl across the sky.

The same applies with the distant stars. They are all moving through space at many kilometres a second but appear to stay fixed in the constellation patterns throughout our lifetime because of their great distance. However, on a scale of thousands of years the familar star groups will change shape as individual stars go their own way on the celestial sphere.

atb,

John

jfSDAS wrote: »
    hi Street,

It does seem likely it was a Chinese Lantern and they just need a gentle puff of wind for them to drift a long way before burning out.

An interesting observation of the object's speed versus the helicopters. As the others have suggested, it is to do with distance.

A good analogy is when you see a plane travelling high overhead in the daytime and then spot a bird flying low above the ground. The bird seems to be going faster than the plane as they both cross your field of view. We know the plane is significantly quicker though but due to its distance from the observer it appears to crawl across the sky.

The same applies with the distant stars. They are all moving through space at many kilometres a second but appear to stay fixed in the constellation patterns throughout our lifetime because of their great distance. However, on a scale of thousands of years the familar star groups will change shape as individual stars go their own way on the celestial sphere.

atb,

John

Nicely explained John, thanks for the input! : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Lorgach

I vote for it being a Chinese lantern also

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HERRHOGAN

Lorgach wrote: »
    I vote for it being a Chinese lantern also

i agree a lot are but no all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

jfSDAS wrote: »
    hi Street,

atb,

John

In fact we are ourselves are whizzing through space on the rocketship called Earth that is also rotating while it is doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rtetvschedule

Myself and my friend witnessed a very fast traveling light with a fixed trajectory travelling maybe 3 or four times the speed of a plane over Dublin last night at 2:10-2:15 am. It then reached a point in the sky, there was a brief flash and it suddenly changed direction and sped off in a different direction. Very wierd, we couldn't believe our eyes.

I thought it must of been a plane at first and then realised it was travelling way too fast to be an airliner. Anyone else witness this? We ruled out meteorite and Space station because of the speed and way it moved.

Shane

Advertisement