Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing kitten to Canada. Help!

• 13-08-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

Looking for as much info as possible folks!

Took in a stray semi feral kitten 3 weeks ago. Had intended to just tame her up to make rehoming easier but....have fallen in love and now plan to take her to Canada with me! :pac:

I'm going to be travelling by bus to Dublin. Flight leaves Dublin but stops in London for an hour or two then straight on to Canada. Had planned on flying with British Airways but not sure if Aer Lingus might be better for transporting pets? Haven't booked the flights yet but they all stop over in London briefly.

Kitten will be around 5 months old when we leave. Will have her vaccinated this week and neutered before we go.

If anyone has any experience of moving their pet specifically to Canada it would be great to hear from you. Or if you know someone who used a company to move a pet over any and all links will be appreciated.

Microchipping: Would it be best to get it done here or over in Canada? If I get it done here is there a Canadian website I have to resgister my details with?
    Pet Passport: Think it's just straight forward unless anyone had any specific things needed for Canada?
    Pet cage: Apparently you need to buy a specific one to meet the requirements or can you simply rent one for the journey?

I've been reading up so much info my brain is melted trying to figure out what to do so any help would be great. Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You'll need to get microchipped now as you can't register for a pet passport without it. When getting vaccinations make sure to mention to your vet that ye are travelling as you will need a rabies vaccine and a blood test after to make sure the antibodies took.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/introduction/ This is the Irish site with info on travelling with pets.

Here is a canadian site about importing cats from a country considered rabies free (ireland) http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/felin1e.shtml

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/felqueste.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Thank for that! :) Will be seeing the vets on Friday to sort out vaccination. Not sure if you have to book in for the microchipping or if they can do it then and there. I'll ring them up today and check.

Not soo worried about that side of things as my vets are awesome and they will keep me on the right track document wise, it's more so the actual physical moving the kitten to Canada. Getting her there safely and having everything correct for the plane so that there will be no drama on the way.

Is it better to fly her over with me or leave her with a moving company who will sort out the correct cage and stuff? Read somewhere about how the cage has to have plenty ventilation but that the pet can't put it's paw out of the cage so the slots must have to be quite thin.

197 views ....so any tips on the whole moving process folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi. My daughter moved both her dogs to Canada last November. Used a company called MultiCargo in Dublin - they were excellent. Since then my daughter has given advice to several people moving their animals (there are currently 5 in touch with her at the moment who are moving to Canada in coming weeks!!)
    If you still need any help drop me a PM and I will send you her e-mail address.
    She is in Calgary - where are you heading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭maalummoja

Shazanne wrote: »
    Hi. My daughter moved both her dogs to Canada last November. Used a company called MultiCargo in Dublin - they were excellent. Since then my daughter has given advice to several people moving their animals (there are currently 5 in touch with her at the moment who are moving to Canada in coming weeks!!)
    If you still need any help drop me a PM and I will send you her e-mail address.
    She is in Calgary - where are you heading?

I ship pups overseas once a month. Use a crowd called Jenkinson in Santry. Decent service and best prices I have found too

• Advertisement

Thanks guys I'll be in contact with those 2 companies.

Contacted Aer Lingus and everything would be fine with them flight wise except the connecting flight in the US I've to contact United Airlines and fine out what their deal is.

Just a good bit of emailing and calling to do now to figure out the best way!
    Will update with how I'm getting on :)

Just an update. Didn't bother with the moving companies in the end up.

We had planned to go with British Airways due to being allowed extra baggage and it would have been a shorter flight.

BUT

Because we would be flying from Dublin to London for the first part of the journey they wouldn't be able to take the kitten. BA don't deal with the public about pet issues and contacted AirPets Heathrow who told me they couldn't help because I was coming from Ireland so put me in contact with someone in Dublin who ships animals. That man was an absolute gent and gave me loads of info.

He told me that there would be no point getting United Airlines the whole journey as the kitten would end up on a different flight to me during stop overs. So my original Aer Lingus and United Airlines combined flight was a better choice. He also explained having the 5/6 hour stopover in the US was great as it meant the kitten would clear customs in plenty time and I'd be able to check her in again with time to spare. Plus can take her out for walk about(on harness that will look funny:pac:) and feed/change pet pads etc.

So total costs not including the medication she has been on:

Microchipping+Rabies Injection+Vaccinations(2)+Pet Passport+Worming Tablet+Frontline Tick+Flea repellant = €136
    Aer Lingus fee(kitten classed as excess baggage) = €160
    United Airlines fee to transport kitten= $240
    IATA approved crate for airplane+wheels(wheels come seperate!) = £74

Of course there will be the taxi fare going from one end of the airport to the other in America(it must be feicin massive!) but doubt that will be too dear.

Going to buy a harness and lead, mini foldable waterproof cloth type litter tray thing plus something else but can't think what now. Not sure if the litter tray will be allowed inside as they do mention having these Pet Pads that absorb any pees they have to have them. Should come to £20 or so. Or if her own bed will be allowed in it as it says no toys are allowed inside. Really hope they allow her hooded bed as it makes her feel safe.

Have to ring and confirm with both airlines about the kitten being on the flight and what contents are allowed in the crate...probably going to do that next week and few days before I go. As many times as it takes :D
    Now the crate is proving the most difficult thing they are very specific and certain crates don't ship to Ireland but thankfully they are just the bigger ones.

Must ring two different bus companies now to make sure I'm allowed to bring her down on either one of them. As otherwise I'd have no way to Dublin :eek:

Will also have to tell the air crew/stewards/whatever they are called to tell the Captain of the plane that there is an animal in the cargo hold to make sure he doesn't fiddle with the temperatures. It recommends this on some of the websites. Won't be able to relax until I'm safely out of the airport in Canada!

Hope this info helps other folks who may be travelling in the future with pets. Thanks for the PMs folks :) Will update once I'm over there about how it all went :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I love cats. If your anywhere near Kildare and no bus company will bring the kitten I'll give you a lift. Cost to you 1 bottle of coke.

Aww that's really kind of you thank you very much for the offer! :)
    Unfortunately I'm on the other side of Ireland.

I'm sure the bus company will be grand about it. Will have to buy her a seat or even two as the crate isn't small enough to have at your feet. So with that extra money for that early morning bus journey I'm sure they will allow me.
    *crosses fingers*

My friend is flying over too which is great otherwise I wouldn't have been able to deal with all my luggage nevermind a crate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Im not sure about busses but Im pretty sure you can bring cats on the train as long as they are in a carrier and you keep them on the floor. I think you can be fined if you put them on the seat. And also as long as no other passengers object, you may be asked to move carriage if for example someone is allergic to cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Im not sure about busses but Im pretty sure you can bring cats on the train as long as they are in a carrier and you keep them on the floor. I think you can be fined if you put them on the seat. And also as long as no other passengers object, you may be asked to move carriage if for example someone is allergic to cats.

Yes, as far as I remember. I know that Bus Eireann won't take dogs, but they're ok on the train.

There are no trains in Donegal :(

So it has to be the bus. I'll avoid Bus Eireann if I can the other bus won't be as busy you see so less hassle if I can get on it.

Booked flights today so will be calling both airlines on Monday to confirm the kitten. Will call the bus then too.

Advertisement