Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you proud to be Irish?

• 13-08-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Watching the coverage of Team Ireland coming back from the Olympics and its just great to see them. Great news about the medals and the success, it balances out the bad news diet we've been on. But then I read about the family of a boxer not being able to go to a pub to watch his fight, seems they are refused service in all pubs in their town. And people showing up to support the likes of Sean Quinn, and how mess up our religiously based primary school system is, and the politicians people continually vote for because they fixed the road or whatever.

I'm not sure if I am proud to be Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I'm proud to have a farmers tan ... if that's in anyway the same ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You are not your nationality.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Yeah I am,... could be a lot worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ehm, any idea why his family were refused entry into all the pubs? There could be something that happened before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

These thread ALWAYS go well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Well this hasn't been done to death more times than Rasputin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I'm proud of who I am and where I'm from (or at the very least, I'm not ashamed).

The actions of a few or even a lot, do not represent or define me, my country or my compatriots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Yep and the self loathing paddy crowd can go f*ck themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ehm, any idea why his family were refused entry into all the pubs? There could be something that happened before.

I could hazzard a guess, but i'd soon be banned for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Hell yes I'm proud to be Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

As I have posted on more days that I care to remember, yes I am. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

lazygal wrote: »
    Watching the coverage of Team Ireland coming back from the Olympics and its just great to see them. Great news about the medals and the success, it balances out the bad news diet we've been on. But then I read about the family of a boxer not being able to go to a pub to watch his fight, seems they are refused service in all pubs in their town. And people showing up to support the likes of Sean Quinn, and how mess up our religiously based primary school system is, and the politicians people continually vote for because they fixed the road or whatever.

You don't have to be proud of everything Irish to be proud of being Irish. I got a bit misty eyed when watching the Olympics, or watching Ireland get hammered by Spain and still being cheered on by their fans. I'm proud of that. I'm proud of my Irish friends who treat foreigners with respect and equality, who want gay marriage, who dislike Quinn, Lowry et al, who make cultural icons of Father Ted and who are making Ireland a more secular place.

I don't care much for some other aspects of Ireland, but then, the people who don't agree with me mightn't include my favourite aspects in why they're fans of Ireland. But that's the freedom we have to disagree, and I'm proudest of that.

I could hazzard a guess, but i'd soon be banned for it!

Is it because dey is black? :p

You know well why They were refused ;) There from the travelling fraternity, and while its all well to be supporting them in london,Its not the done thing back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I like being Irish, but I'm not proud. Pride, for me, relates to personal achievement, and I had no personal involvment in being born here, save for the fact my parents fcuked here.

But I do like being Irish, don't get me wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Is it because dey is black? :p

It's worser boss, worser!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Irish Olympics hierarchy and other organisers made sure the good news was cancelled out by spreading a plague of misery around the place on the subject of welcoming home the Olympic team.

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    I like being Irish, but I'm not proud. Pride, for me, relates to personal achievement, and I had no personal involvment in being born here, save for the fact my parents fcuked here.

Not necessarily, they could have done that anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

They are Travellers, which in the minds of many means they can be treated like dirt, if JJ Nevin wasn't an Olympic hero no doubt he too would be the subject of "creamcracker" and "Piebald" bashing, the likes of which are commonly seen on boards and elsewhere. Indeed didn't one thread slagging him off because he is a Traveller already get locked on AH?

Not necessarily, they could have done that anywhere.

True, so I'll change that to, "..save for teh fact my mother squeezed me out here"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yeah, I feel like this pretty much. It's not a case of being proud or self-loathing. I'm happy to Irish but I don't have any major pride about it. I felt just as happy with the Brits getting their medals as I did the Irish. Sometimes more so.

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

realies wrote: »
    You know well why They were refused ;) There from the travelling fraternity, and while its all well to be supporting them in london,Its not the done thing back home.

Is Katie taylor a traveller? I watched an interview of her on Late Late show last year on youtube and judging by her accent had my suspicions.

I don't care though

kegzmc wrote: »
    Is Katie taylor a traveller? I watched an interview of her on Late Late show last year on youtube and judging by her accent had my suspicions.

I don't care though

Kinda she,s from wickla :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

This rubbish again!

No! I'll be proud of things achieved by myself and others I care about, especially if I've had something to do with it.

I cannot be proud of being a nationality, being born on a specified land mass. I had no choice in it.

Being Irish doesn't make me who I am, doesn't define me or my achievements nor does it help our athletes in any way. It's to do with the person.

Sure, I revel is Irish festivities as when the teams do well - it's fun. It doesn't make me proud to be Irish. I really don't understand it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Very proud to be Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

kegzmc wrote: »

No thats just the Bray accent, I went to school there before people start calling me a Bracist.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

Malari wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel like this pretty much. It's not a case of being proud or self-loathing. I'm happy to Irish but I don't have any major pride about it. I felt just as happy with the Brits getting their medals as I did the Irish. Sometimes more so.
    I enjoyed Bolt's races much more than any of the Irish fights. Actually I think of the Irish medals Cian O'Connor's was the one that excited me the most because of its unexpectedness and his history in the competition.

As previously alluded to, the occasion and whereabouts of my birth had little to do with me. My nationality is something over which I have had no choice over so I don't think pride is an appropriate emotion for my feelings towards Ireland.

realies wrote: »
    Kinda she,s from wickla :p

Poor girl, but at least she's got an Olympic gold medal to make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I'm proud, but not so proud that I drink heavily and wear my county's GAA jersey in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Owen_S wrote: »
    I'm proud, but not so proud that I drink heavily and wear my county's GAA jersey in Australia.
    Man Utd is a county?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yes. A great accident of birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The concept of loyalty to a geosociopolitical construct is a bit stupid, so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

In short....No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I don't see how you can be proud to have been born on a particular piece of land. That makes no sense to me.

I'm proud of Katie Taylor and the rest because of the work they have put in and I feel they deserved their medals. That doesn't make me proud to have come from the same place as them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'm not sure if I am proud to be Human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

in before /thread

No. it's racist and very un-PC to think like that so i'm just proud to be human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Very proud, I may not live in Ireland but I still buy Kerrygold

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

VEN wrote: »

No. it's racist and very un-PC to think like that so i'm just proud to be human.

Racist to be proud of the country of your birth? :confused: Well fuck me then anyway PC police, just lock me up and throw away the key then! Jazeus. Whats so racist about having pride in your countries customs and traditions and the impact same customs and tratitions have had on a global stage, pride in where you came from and of how the people you grew up shaped you as an individual, all the while respecting other nations and their customs and traditions.

Some serious narcissists in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    Racist to be proud of the country of your birth? :confused: Well fuck me then anyway PC police, just lock me up and throw away the key then! Jazeus. Whats so racist about having pride in your countries customs and traditions and the impact same customs and tratitions have had on a global stage, pride in where you came from and of how the people you grew up shaped you as an individual, all the while respecting other nations and their customs and traditions.

Some serious narcissists in this thread.

Welcome to boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Confab wrote: »

ooooooh arent you so clever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Snakeblood wrote: »

You don't have to be proud of everything Irish to be proud of being Irish. I got a bit misty eyed when watching the Olympics, or watching Ireland get hammered by Spain and still being cheered on by their fans. I'm proud of that. I'm proud of my Irish friends who treat foreigners with respect and equality, who want gay marriage, who dislike Quinn, Lowry et al, who make cultural icons of Father Ted and who are making Ireland a more secular place.

I don't care much for some other aspects of Ireland, but then, the people who don't agree with me mightn't include my favourite aspects in why they're fans of Ireland. But that's the freedom we have to disagree, and I'm proudest of that.
    Not proud cos not Irish but I thought this post was thanksworthy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Is proud to be Irish and from Ireland.

Loves ridiculing people from the countryside and other countys in Ireland.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Im proud of certain aspects of irish culture. As far as the olympics instilling some kind of pride in me, not really. But i definately will on any irish team or athlete in any sport and always want them to win, ill watch ireland, or any irish person play in any sport.

Ive been following Katie for a few years now, since around the time she was the undercard on the dunne v cordoba fight. Its a pity there wasnt any talk of her when she won her last few world championships!

its great to see other irish people winning stuff, as we are a small nation. But is it pride? i dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Confab wrote: »

Yeah? WELL YOU'RE A CONSTRUCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

For me being proud of being Irish would have very little to do with me personally. More being proud of how resilient our ancestors were despite facing huge adversity. In addition having clean hand when it comes to colonialism and chattel slavery is something to be proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

"Own Worst Enemy" springs to mind with regard to the other tangental discussion in this thread.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    For me being proud of being Irish would have very little to do with me personally. More being proud of how resilient our ancestors were despite facing huge adversity. In addition having clean hand when it comes to colonialism and chattel slavery is something to be proud of.

Fair enough, I understand that point of view completely, but it's still not a matter of "pride" for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

couldn't give a shít being honest

although saying you're irish abroad or when people cop on you're irish can be a good ice breaker

also leads them to look at you more favourably than when they first thought you were english for some reason, must be the stag trips etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

I'm proud of things that I have achieved personally and gained through my own hard work. Being proud of your nationality/race which was a result of accident of birth and not something you worked towards or earned doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement