Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you proud to be Irish?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

realies wrote: »
    You know well why They were refused ;) There from the travelling fraternity, and while its all well to be supporting them in london,Its not the done thing back home.
    Er, not everyone 'knows well why'. I hadn't a clue that he was from a traveller background and was also confused by the first post.

On topic, I am proud to be Irish but it doesn’t define me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

I'm very proud to be Irish! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm 25, unemployed and don't drink alcohol. My country hates me. Why the **** would I be proud to be Irish :P

Yes, I certainly am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Being Irish is one of my favourite hobbies. I do it all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    For me being proud of being Irish would have very little to do with me personally. More being proud of how resilient our ancestors were despite facing huge adversity. In addition having clean hand when it comes to colonialism and chattel slavery is something to be proud of.

This.

We didn't gas nobody, chain up nobody or rob anybodies land.

Although....we did steal people from that other island across the sea BUT SURE THAT WAS A LONG TIME AGO. And we made one of those lads our patron Saint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Hmm I remember starting a thread about this before and I think what I learned from it is that I'm not proud of being Irish, because (a) I had no input into it, and it would be foolish to be proud of an achievement that was not of your own doing, and (b) Irishness is an artificial construction; we might as well be proud of being white. White people have also done a lot of good for humanity, and are also ultimately a 'good' people.

However, if someone is proud to be Irish that's absolutely their right & I'm not trying to denigrate or dismiss it; I'm sure they're just coming at the question from some other perspective that revolves heavily around community and co-operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm proud to be Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'm glad that I'm Irish and no matter what people say, it's a great country. However, I never say that I'm "proud" of something I had no control over; I reserve pride for achievements I have made. I'm just as proud to be Irish as I am to be born with a nose, two hands and freckles.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm always proud to be Irish.

But I'm not always proud of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

I'm proud to be Irish. I'm Irish till I die.

But more importantly, I'm from Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Very proud to be Irish!

And what Herculean task did you have to perform to qualify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Lapin wrote: »
    I'm always proud to be Irish.

But I'm not always proud of Ireland.

I'm proud of Ireland, but I'm not always proud of Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

No, but I'm proud to be German ;)

But anyway, fair play to all Irish medal winners :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Everyone should be proud of where they came from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Malari wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel like this pretty much. It's not a case of being proud or self-loathing. I'm happy to Irish but I don't have any major pride about it. I felt just as happy with the Brits getting their medals as I did the Irish. Sometimes more so.

Strange statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I've lived most of my life in other countries, become a citizen of Finland, enjoyed some degree of success and respect ...:)

--- but I've never been even slightly ashamed of being Irish. Despite the greed and stupidity of some Irish people, I know only too well that there are cnuts like them in every corner of the world along with the good and worthwhile people. You have to accept that even the prettiest face is likely to have a wart or two on it.;);)

Therefore I'm not ashamed of being Irish, and I'm fcuked if I can think of a reason why I ever should be.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

And what Herculean task did you have to perform to qualify?

Since when do you have to perform a Herculean task to be proud of something?

Is one exempt from being proud of a family members achievements, for example, just because one had no input into said achievements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Strange statement.

OK, maybe I should qualify that I got more into Team GB winning because they were involved in more sports I was interested in. And yes, I did get way more excited and emotional watching the GB track athletes winning than the boxers. I was glad Katie and the others won medals, but I wasn't emotionally invested in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Sometimes yes. Sometimes no

good clear precise answer to the question :D
    Confab wrote: »
    The concept of loyalty to a geosociopolitical construct is a bit stupid, so no.

thats just nerd talk, hope you don't do that in real life ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah definitely. There are so many nondescript backwaters in the world that its a great fluke to be born on a small island which has such a world renown. Our own distinct culture and language which while almost wiped out we managed to keep alive. Independence secured after centuries of foreign rule. A leading light in the arts, an over abundance of writers, musicians, painters and poets down through the years. Generations of people who have went all over the world and had a huge influence wherever they went. Ive spoken to people from all over the globe who expressed jealousy at being Irish. So yeah, it beats being from Liechtenstein I would say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Hmmm....

Thread should have a dual nationality option so we can compare the + and _ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I don't have a nationality, so don't have anything to be proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

not really, its about the same as being proud of your hair colour, or height, or any other arbitrary thing you had no involvement in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

It's always so much more fun to be Irish when you're not in Ireland.

Cáca milis cailín bainne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

elefant wrote: »
    Since when do you have to perform a Herculean task to be proud of something?

Is one exempt from being proud of a family members achievements, for example, just because one had no input into said achievements?

I would believe so, yes. There's little as galling as people who have achieved very little bragging about the achievements of people connected to them in some, often tenuous, way. Those overbearing aunties or mothers bragging about relations' Leaving Cert results being a case in point.

For me being proud of being Irish would have very little to do with me personally. More being proud of how resilient our ancestors were despite facing huge adversity. In addition having clean hand when it comes to colonialism and chattel slavery is something to be proud of.

I'd love to believe this.

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    I like being Irish, but I'm not proud. Pride, for me, relates to personal achievement

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Accident of birth, so difficult to be 'proud' of the achievements of others who happen to be born on the same island as yourself. I might have respect and admiration for their feats, but I don't think you can really be 'proud' of something unless you have played a role in the achievement.
    having clean hand when it comes to colonialism and chattel slavery is something to be proud of.

Is that just because we weren't a nation when colonialism and slavery were really being pursued? Because I'm fairly sure some Irish took part in and profited in both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Not while cowboys like Peter Darragh Quinn walk free. Lock him up. He is a fugitive. WantedPeterDarraghQuinn.com

• Advertisement

Are the Canadians proud to be Canadians?

Are the Dutch proud Dutch?

Are New Zealanders proud to be New Zealanders ?

Pride is not exclusive to one race but as an individual , having something worthwhile to be proud of is better than a sometimes ' meaningless cliche ' which belies some ugly truths .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Seanchai wrote: »
    I would believe so, yes. There's little as galling as people who have achieved very little bragging about the achievements of people connected to them in some, often tenuous, way. Those overbearing aunties or mothers bragging about relations' Leaving Cert results being a case in point.

That's different I think. Someone's mother can be proud of their child's academic achievements as they likely had a major role in the encouragement or nurturing of the child to do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I am extremely proud to be Irish.

I think it's incredible that such a small country has hurling, undoubtedly one of the best sports in the world. I'm also proud of our own language.

Other reasons include our generally kind nature (that's true, right :P) or our laws. Yes, I like our laws. We may complain about our laws but at least we aren't fearful of persecution by our own government.

I love you motherland! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I was born in the UK to Irish parents, only hold an Irish passport, never been anti-english or british, but having UK citizenship has never appealed.

There's just something bland and impersonal about Britishness.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I used to be mildly intoxicated with my sense of being Irish ....like being in love but the recent hooring of my fellow countrymen with different modes of behaviour has tempered it somewhat .We should'nt need anything from abroad .I'm insular in my sense of being irish .A walk down Grafton street says it all for me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

paddyandy wrote: »
    We should'nt need anything from abroad

Umm..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Nope, don't do the pride thing. Or the shame thing. Or the self hatred thing.

But I'm happy to be Irish every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I think 'proud to be Irish' depends on where you are:

-For example, if iam in the US i really milk my Irishness, cos they love us really
    -But in the UK its kind of embarrassing, they see us as, drunk, Gypsy, Poor and Skivvy.

Lets be honest, we can do nothing right, mess everything up, break things before their broken.

Was in the UK last week and they really preserve all their old towns and villages. We really need to take a leaf out of their book.

dd972 wrote: »
    I was born in the UK to Irish parents, only hold an Irish passport, never been anti-english or british, but having UK citizenship has never appealed.

There's just something bland and impersonal about Britishness.
    The Brits like to claim they are the least European of all and their culture was always based around Royalty and the ' stiff upper lip 'routine but that's changed a lot in recent years and the Olympics organization,with the thousands of volunteers been praised by everyone, not to mention third place in the medals table has given the Brits something to be proud of .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Carson10 wrote: »

-For example, if iam in the US i really milk my Irishness, cos they love us really
    -But in the UK its kind of embarrassing, they see us as, drunk, Gypsy, Poor and Skivvy.

Lets be honest, we can do nothing right, mess everything up, break things before their broken.

Was in the UK last week and they really preserve all their old towns and villages. We really need to take a leaf out of their book.

It also depends on who you meet. I've met people over in the States and abroad who took me for American and sometimes looked blankly when I said I'm from Dublin, Ireland. Then again, my Uncle (who was American of Irish heritage) was extrememly clued up about Irish history.

In the UK, a lot of people see us as well educated, clever, decent and (dare I say it) attractive! But yes, there is always the negative view as well... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Wouldn't say I'm necessarily proud, but I'm not ashamed by a long shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You are not your nationality.

I am ..

I respect your way of identifying yourself culturally...

I am very proud to be Irish and so proud infact that i want to defend my nation against the negative things in it.

I like being Irish, infact i love it.

I love being around Irish people. I am a Dublin southsider and the GAA is not really something i spend a lot of time thinking about.

I am proud and secure in it. I dislike any type of agressive nationalism though or failure to protect our country from it's flaws.

If you love your country you want to improve it and keep it true to ideals.

The support the GAA showed for Sean Quinn is anti-patriotic in my view.

I delight in being happy for Irish who do well...but i cringe when people try to claim it.

Proud of Katie Taylor and happy for her .... Pride is sometimes a product of praise for another. It is not trying to steal the accomplishment or anything.

I would want my country to be proud of me if i was representing them..i would want to do them proud.When i go abroad i want to represent Ireland well and for people to remember me as a good citizen and guest in their nation and for them to know that Ireland has a good citizens.

We are a sovreign nation with we the people as sovreign, we are all as individuals a part of that.

I agree pompous displays of agressive group pride are pure insecurity.

There are certain things i am not proud of and pride is not always about your own actions.

Maybe admiration is a better word..loyalty admiration and high esteem? I hold the best of Ireland in these qualities.

Pride is also the opposite of shameandpart of self acceptance.

LBGT pride for example, Gay pride. It is very important.

Also pride is simply an emotion and sometimes as such it will be involuntary and not always rational.

We must always harness it to positive results only.

If we are proud what are we? Indifferent? Ashamed? Perhaps of somethings.

But not thinking you have a connection to your community suggests an isolation from it. And in that connection you influence it.

Carson10 wrote: »

It's only embarrassing if you live up to the negative stereotype as some individuals are only to glad to do .

old hippy wrote: »
    In the UK, a lot of people see us as well educated, clever, decent and (dare I say it) attractive! But yes, there is always the negative view as well... :(
    Indeed ...living in UK for many years now and come across those attractive/negative views to but I've long gone past caring now because I live here ( England) now and not there ( Ireland ) so indifference becomes the norm for me .

I've always hated the sheep /herd like/clannish stereotype of the Irish anyway .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

as a foreigner, I was proud of Ireland when it showed how a poor country could redevelop itself and become an example for the rest of Europe.
    I was less proud of Ireland when I saw how the politicians fecked up big time, never mind about the young people acting like they were born in Cali and not in South Dub: big mansions, party on a daily basis, drugs and big cars... paid with daddy's money. pfff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's a good nationality to be when you're abroad. Maybe not Australia at the moment (i was never there, so don't really know) but anywhere I've been when people find out you're Irish you generally get a good welcome.
    But proud is the wrong word for me. I like being Irish, but don't feel proud of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Latchy wrote: »
    It's only embarrassing if you live up to the negative stereotype as some individuals are only to glad to do .

Indeed ...living in UK for many years now and come across those attractive/negative views to but I've long gone past caring now because I live here ( England) now and not there ( Ireland ) so indifference becomes the norm for me .

I've always hated the sheep /herd like/clannish stereotype of the Irish anyway .

Why does it always have to turn into a British Irish thing?

Who cares what idiots thing of you. Stop looking for approval from them.

If you are not comfortable and secure in being Irish you are just going to end up being a fake.

National pride is not for the benefit of others or to denigrate them it is being confident and unashamed of your background. If the bigotry or stereotypes of others makes you ashamed you have deeper issues regarding in security.

Yoour relationship with your ethnicity and culture is your and yours alone...i am comfortable and proud of mine ...largely because i am comfortable with myself as a person.

Each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ciotog8

yeah its great that Ireland won a gold but as a London visitor with a full Irish heritage it disappoints me to see all these big shots ripping off the country. Everytime I go to Ireland there is some sort of enquiry which I guess costs the Irish taxpayer millions and they seem to get off whatever they done such as back handers and scamming. It all about who you know. Its the worse off who suffer. In terms of politicians I think more emphasis is on local areas and most of these are voted in because they fixed a road or done something for the community. Most of these people voted in have businesses or fingers in pies. Why cant we have real local people who care about other peoples interests and not their own. My experience in my community in Ireland is that there are caring and giving people who would help you and guide you when need be. They are the ones who realise the real core issues within society. Why do they suffer while the big shots and politicians scrape what they can from the ordinary man and woman. I am an avid supporter of Ireland and champion the removal of those who give Ireland a bad name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Hey all things considered we never committed an act of genocide, started a world war, built a concentration camp, detonated nuclear weapons etc.
    Is it possible to be proud of the stuff we didnt do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Sometimes I'm proud to be Irish but I'm also proud to be English. And because I'm in the Eu I'm proud to be a European. Now if I could just add America and Australia to the list I'm doing pretty good to be proud of being a human.

sick of just being tied to one country cause that one country don't own me. But I'm proud of what the people of that country can do. Although when it does come to rugby I'm truly proud to be Irish. I'm not patriotic for any one country cause all it is at the end of the day is a group of people all with the common interest for the country they are in. Or in this case county or even better village, one of the reasons I don't involve myself in the GAA taken way too personally .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm happy enough to be myself I suppose and being Irish is part of who I am. I couldn't care less about sport. Even if I did have any interest in it I don't see why someone else getting a medal or trophy would make me proud. For instance Katie Taylor punching another woman more times than she got punched herself has no bearing on my happiness or pride whatsoever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement