Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you proud to be Irish?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Augmerson wrote: »
    This.

We didn't gas nobody, chain up nobody or rob anybodies land.

Although....we did steal people from that other island across the sea BUT SURE THAT WAS A LONG TIME AGO. And we made one of those lads our patron Saint!

I would go and check your history there we were mauaders sure didn't we go into Wales and take there people as slaves e.g St Patrick

Edit: Did not read full post silly me but yes we did go conquering land I think Scotland (Could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

IRISH BY BIRTH MUNSTER BY THE GRACE OF GOD:D:D

I am proud I am Irish
    I am proud I am from Munster
    I am pround I am from Clare
    I am proud I am from Lissycasey

Proud of other Irish people well that depends on who

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

IRISH BY BIRTH MUNSTER BY THE GRACE OF GOD:D:D

I am proud I am Irish
    I am proud I am from Munster
    I am pround I am from Clare
    I am proud I am from Lissycasey

Proud of other Irish people well that depends on who

If god really loved you, you'd be from Munster's more sucessful, richer, more glamorous neighbour Leinster ;)
    God must hate you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Why does it always have to turn into a British Irish thing?
    Something I often ask myself but it happens a lot in AH and starts under the guise of ''I've nothing against the Brits '' which is really the starting pistol for some others to come and dump on them
    Who cares what idiots thing of you. Stop looking for approval from them.

If you are not comfortable and secure in being Irish you are just going to end up being a fake.
    the Peeps who start these threads and have a sometimes unhealthy obsession ( in my opinion) on the subject of ' been proud to be Irish ' should take that on board ...it's been done to death

In my last post you'll see I used the word indifferent to describe my feelings towards anybody who thinks good or bad of the Irish and as for myself , I don't need approval of anybody to feel comfortable about myself ,who I am or where I come from ...been around to long for that shyte .

Yoour relationship with your ethnicity and culture is your and yours alone
    It sure is because and it's not where you come from that matters , it's what type of human being are .
    ciotog8 wrote: »
    yeah its great that Ireland won a gold but as a London visitor with a full Irish heritage it disappoints me to see all these big shots ripping off the country. Everytime I go to Ireland there is some sort of enquiry which I guess costs the Irish taxpayer millions and they seem to get off whatever they done such as back handers and scamming. It's all about who you know. Its the worse off who suffer.

And good or bad times it always was like that in Ireland

I'm happy enough to be myself I suppose and being Irish is part of who I am. I couldn't care less about sport. Even if I did have any interest in it I don't see why someone else getting a medal or trophy would make me proud. For instance Katie Taylor punching another woman more times than she got punched herself has no bearing on my happiness or pride whatsoever.
    That's an interesting viewpoint because it wasn't until I about 6 months ago while watching Irish tv that I first heard of Katie Taylor and although I occasionally watch boxing ,would not call myself a boxing fan per se .I was glad to see her do well but it would not have any direct bearing on my own happiness or sense of pride either .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMYYtR7TmjU

wait until the end bit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

What's wrong with been proud of where you're from?

Fair enough I had no hand, act or part in been born here etc, but I love my family, home and area I grew up in. I've done a fair bit of travelling over the world and can safely say I wouldnt want to live anywhere else.

Some people over think these things sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I had no hand in where I was born so nothing to be proud of really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I am not proud of being Irish. Nothing wrong with being Irish, but from years of living in the UK and listening to them harping on and on about being proud to be British, I just don't see the point in being proud of something that really is just an accident of where you were born. Pride is something I reserve now for personal achievements which are few and far between lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I'm Meh about been Irish,

I love Ireland and I hate Ireland and that is a healthy attitude to have in any democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

iDave wrote: »
    Hey all things considered we never committed an act of genocide, started a world war, built a concentration camp, detonated nuclear weapons etc.
    Is it possible to be proud of the stuff we didnt do?

We never put a man on the moon either.
    We didn't discover penicillin either.
    We forgot to invent the motorcar or the television or the radio or the telegraph or the computer .
    There never was an Irish "Enlightenment", wonder why?
    Let us all be proud and...please...please... just a little realistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

We never put a man on the moon either.
    We didn't discover penicillin either.
    We forgot to invent the motorcar or the television or the radio or the telegraph or the computer .
    Let us all be proud and...please...please... just a little realistic

Your condescending, cynical, nerdtastic attitude is highly impressive to me, I would like to sign up to your newsletter!!!!:D

Lets see what 'We' did invent/discover:

Modern Chemestry and 'Boyles Law' - Robert Boyle
    Modern Economics and the consept of an entrepreneur - Richard Cantillon
    The Beaufort Scale: Francis Beaufort
    Kelvin Scale: William Thompson
    Seismology - Robert Mallet
    The Electron - George Johnstone Stoney
    Radiotherapy - John Joly
    Portable Defribrillator - Frank Pantrage

And best of all, Whiskey!

Not bad for a country of Ireland size.

I'm actually not sure of 'pride' is the word I'd use for the above achievements, but if you're going to go down the road of scoffing at Irelands achievements and dismissing what Ireland/Irish people have achieved on a global stage in the smug way that the above poster did, then I think you are talking total shite.

When you take everything into perspective, Ireland really punches above it's weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

To the OP question. Yes, but not proud of certain parts of my country. but I do believe we can change that, JJ Nevin is as much a hero in my eyes as Katie Taylor, as is every Omplican in this years team, and I don't even understand sport, but community I do :)

PS Sorry should have read the Opening post fully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Tis Grand

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    Racist to be proud of the country of your birth? :confused: Well fuck me then anyway PC police, just lock me up and throw away the key then! Jazeus. Whats so racist about having pride in your countries customs and traditions and the impact same customs and tratitions have had on a global stage, pride in where you came from and of how the people you grew up shaped you as an individual, all the while respecting other nations and their customs and traditions.

Some serious narcissists in this thread.

they've made me think this way, i'm not even allowed eat a choc ice anymore, or a marathon bar :confused:

Your condescending, cynical, nerdtastic attitude is highly impressive to me, I would like to sign up to your newsletter!!!!:D

Radiotherapy - John Joly
    Portable Defribrillator - Frank Pantrage [QUOTE

Hmmn.
    No Billy Joe McGillicuddys or Paddy Mac O'Snodddies. I see?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I am proud to be Irish but it's not something I think about a lot.
    I am certainly not embarrassed about the behaviour of some Irish people. There are idiots and embarrassments are in every country.
    I am more proud to be a member of the European Union so I'm similar to how a Texan might feel about being a Texan and an American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

No. I don't understand why anyone would be. Would you take pride in a coin toss or the roll of a dice?

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.

I just made up that quote right there, god I'm so clever sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

[/SIZE]

Learn your history.

Start here ; http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Saved-Civilization-Hinges-History/dp/0385418493

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Radiotherapy - John Joly

Not bad for a country of Ireland size.

I'm actually not sure of 'pride' is the word I'd use for the above achievements, but if you're going to go down the road of scoffing at Irelands achievements and dismissing what Ireland/Irish people have achieved on a global stage in the smug way that the above poster did, then I think you are talking total shite.

When you take everything into perspective, Ireland really punches above it's weight.
    Hmmn.

Oooook........I don't get this?

Clearly you are on crack.

• Advertisement

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.

I just made up that quote right there, god I'm so clever sometimes.

Hello, Albert Einstein.

If Einstein defined what he meant by nationalism, it would decipher exactly what he meant. Civic nationalism varies greatly from nationalism based on supremacy.

Nationalism, by itself, is a pretty vague term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Radiotherapy - John Joly

Hmmn.

And don't forget the inventor of bottled water. Bill Bottlewater from Mayo. :p

Racist to be proud of the country of your birth? :confused: Well fuck me then anyway PC police, just lock me up and throw away the key then! Jazeus. Whats so racist about having pride in your countries customs and traditions and the impact same customs and tratitions have had on a global stage, pride in where you came from and of how the people you grew up shaped you as an individual, all the while respecting other nations and their customs and traditions.

Some serious narcissists in this thread.

I do actually agree with this, and I would be the first to hold up the racist card, their is nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from, you share things with people within that community, it dosen't mean you are knocking another race of people, you feel at home, when at home, which I'm prity sure most people actually do.

No one suggested that anyone, thought any differently.

Back on topic, Katie's gold medal, was like a light at the end of the tunnel, community wise, and Nationally wise. As was all the other medals and everyone participated in the Olympics

No one, is trying to strip it from her, here in Bray. We are just just so happy, you walk down the street, everyone walking a little taller, and a little more confident, why? cause if one of us can do it all of us can, that is the pride. Bray has being always told, she was a low live of Dublin, when in her hayday she was huge part of the making of Dublin.

She is a small suburb of a town, and this is my home, but I'm still a blow in, after about 20 years, I'm originally from Dun Loaghaire, but it's a town I'm extremely proud of, and a town very proud of it's people, almost to a fault, when Katie came home with the Gold medal yesterday, everyones hopes where rasied and that we could all achieve gold as well, as a community.

If you think about it we are one of 3 stations on the dart line Killeny, Shankhill and Bray, that is surrounded by tunnels, but with one of the most beautiful views from the dart alone the Dart lines, I think finally people saw a light at the end of the tunnel, I know that is what Katie did for me, she made me so proud of being Irish and part of my community, that I watched sports, I didn't understand, and cried with every win or lose, I was crying I know now what I was crying for, pride in my community and my country. Katie rightfully deserves the gold medal, but she gave us the right to believe we can all reach gold, and she is right we all can community and nation, we can (Let's keep massaging that flame : ))

To those who say you can't be proud of your country just because it's a place you were born, I understand where you're coming from but I think there's more to it than that.

If you were born and bred here, then your family, friends, community and country have played a part in shaping you.

This certainly doesn't mean people are defined by their country but I think it allows you to be proud of some aspects of it, just as you can be ashamed of others.

I think that some people used to have more pride in Ireland because of the state our economy during the boom. But pride comes before the fall and now there's obviously considerably less pride based on our economy. However, this is a fairly shallow attribute to base pride on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Proud to be irish - Yes. I am proud of our history, our traditions and our people.

However, I have just realised that I am not "proud" of anything I have done, but very proud of others who have achieved success in some degree or other.

Not that I am ashamed of my actions ..... I just don’t feel anything about myself. Is that weird?

To those who say you can't be proud of your country just because it's a place you were born, I understand where you're coming from but I think there's more to it than that.

If you were born and bred here, then your family, friends, community and country have played a part in shaping you.

And you, part of shaping the country, county or community you where born in. As Irish citizens we are part of the Irish community. We are all what makes this country what it is. No matter what small part we played in that, we still played a part.

• Advertisement

dave3004 wrote: »
    Not that I am ashamed of my actions ..... I just don’t feel anything about myself. Is that weird?

Not at all. We are our own worst critics. But I dare say you could find two dozen odd family members and friends who would claim to be proud to be your dad,ma, gran, aunt, uncle, brother, sister, girlfriend, boyfriend, best bud and so on and so forth.

IrishAm wrote: »
    And you, part of shaping the country, county or community you where born in. As Irish citizens we are part of the Irish community. We are all what makes this country what it is. No matter what small part we played in that, we still played a part.

I was actually going to say the exact same thing in my post initially, but then I thought it sounded a bit too preachy and easy for someone to say "so Topper, what have you done?" And I'd have nothing. :p

I just don’t feel anything about myself. Is that weird?

As a self appointed psycho...something, I can confirm that yes, that is weird. Or maybe not, I can't remember.

Not at all. We are our own worst critics. But I dare say you could find two dozen odd family members and friends who would claim to be proud to be your dad,ma, gran, aunt, uncle, brother, sister, girlfriend, boyfriend, best bud and so on and so forth.

Yeah I am kinda a big deal :pac:

But seriously, I do think "pride" is an emotion felt ontoward others rather than oneself.

I've felt elated when graduating etc but pride I think is slightly different.

I'm not really one for emotions and that weird stuff but I cannot tell someone I am proud of them without getting teary-eyed. Its the one word in the english language I cannot say.

Even when Dr Cox tells JD he's proud of him it gets me :o

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I've lived most of my life in other countries, become a citizen of Finland, enjoyed some degree of success and respect ...:)

--- but I've never been even slightly ashamed of being Irish. Despite the greed and stupidity of some Irish people, I know only too well that there are cnuts like them in every corner of the world along with the good and worthwhile people. You have to accept that even the prettiest face is likely to have a wart or two on it.;);)

Therefore I'm not ashamed of being Irish, and I'm fcuked if I can think of a reason why I ever should be.:D:D

Portarlington, Portlaoise and Tullamore !

• Advertisement

Even when Dr Cox tells JD he's proud of him it gets me :o

Aww, so you're just a big softie! :D

I was actually going to say the exact same thing in my post initially, but then I thought it sounded a bit too preachy and easy for someone to say "so Topper, what have you done?" And I'd have nothing. :p

It might make a decent thread! I still polish my D.D.S.L medals. Even brought them abroad with me when I emigrated for a while.

:pac:

Shall I whack a "what are your proudest achievements?" thread up?

Yeah I am kinda a big deal :pac:

I am sure you are, or at least your loved ones think that way.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that each and every one of us are part of the Irish nation. We make Ireland what it is. Throughout our daily transactions, we shape the country. All of us, no matter what small part we play.

As James Connolly said, "Ireland to me, is nothing without her people."

It might make a decent thread! I still polish my D.D.S.L medals. Even brought them abroad with me when I emigrated for a while.

:pac:

Shall a whack a "what are your proudest achievements?" thread up?

I imagine it'll lead to a lot of exaggerations followed by abuse, so definitely do.

But no one's achievements are bigger or better than mine. I once reluctantly saved the entire universe. (Or maybe that was the Green Lantern :o)

I am sure you are, or at least your loved ones think that way.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that each and every one of us are part of the Irish nation. We make Ireland what it is. Throughout our daily transactions, we shape the country. All of us, no matter what small part we play.

As James Connolly said, "Ireland to me, is nothing without her people."

Well people, please start seeing that, I've just got slightly (emotional, big time) since I last posted, but we need to stand up for each other, protect each other, protect are community, protect who we are. I'm very much proud to be Irish, cause I know "this is home", and I' am protected here, not because of religion, or laws, but because of my community.

Example: walking down the town today, a neighbour not next door, but on my street, asked me "How my Mom was, and if I needed help, with gardening, he knew I had no interest in gardening", he just wants to help feel part of a community. We all do, but no one in charge, is actually given us a chance.
    The one way I know how to run anything, is to keep the people involved happy, club, business, community, nation, anything. Get them involved on the very basic level, next keep them involved on any deciding factors. Our community is our people, Our land (Ireland) is our people. (as a child that is what I thought it meant)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Ireland is a nice place,i like the way you can drive anywhere in just a few hours,the nice people,the history,and the generous social welfare payments.

Actually I did read this book, many years ago.
    I enjoyed it, much as I would enjoy any other piece of historical fiction.

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Saved-Civilization-Hinges-History/product-reviews/0385418493/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Oooook........I don't get this?

Clearly you are on crack.

Sadly ,no.
    You can't get it around here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

It's not where you're from, it's where you're at.

''Irish by birth, Galwegian by the Grace of God''

I'd be more proud of being from Galway than Irish.

I just can't see how I'd be proud of my country overall, when I absolutely hate going to the capital.
    No offence to the average Dub here, but the city centre is just riddled with absolute scumbags and junkies and I don't feel secure walking around there.

How could you be proud to be from Ireland as a whole, when the city centre of the capital is such a shady place?!.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

''Irish by birth, Galwegian by the Grace of God''

I'd be more proud of being from Galway than Irish.

I just can't see how I'd be proud of my country overall, when I absolutely hate going to the capital.
    No offence to the average Dub here, but the city centre is just riddled with absolute scumbags and junkies and I don't feel secure walking around there.

How could you be proud to be from Ireland as a whole, when the city centre of the capital is such a shady place?!.

Every rose has it's thorn

Advertisement