Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working with animals in Dublin

• 13-08-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi!

I am currently in a job that is slowly depressing me! I am grateful to have a job, and it's not a bad one but I feel my happiness is important too!

I would like to work at something I am passionate about which has always been animals. Its not what I studied in college and have no work experience in it but would love to work in something like animal rescue, or animal care. As my rent is pretty high I can't even afford to do a part-time job and volunteer the rest of the time.

Just wondering if anyone has any information on paid jobs in Dublin where you can work with or care for animals? Or how I could go about getting experience? Would volunteering at the weekend help me get a paid job?

It might be a long shot but I thought I'd give it one more try before I look for something else.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AL93

i think finding a paid job in Dublin would be very hard to find. Especially with college starting again soon so there will be a lot of students looking for work experience. Even finding work experience is difficult as there is so many people applying.
    Try ringing the animal shelters, id say they would love help especially on weekends. You could also try evening courses. I think there is a few in dog training and grooming. What about pet sitting or dog walking?
    Another thing you could try is a receptionist job in a vets? That could be a way of getting into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Dog training ireland run courses from first responder (doggy first aid) to training as a behaviourist. Check out their website for more info. Eventually after putting the work in there's no reason that once qualified and gaining experience that you couldn't get into a paid job with animals from going to peoples homes to help with dog behaviour problems, working for yourself or as a team in a company or a kennels etc.
    I guess like anything nowdays you might need to move or travel further afield eventually to get the dream job but DTI is a great place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Roxbb

It's very hard to get work I have done the DTI train the dog trainer & am going on to so the next step up with them which I'll point out does not make you a behaviourist you would still need to do your degree which would be in the UK there are 2 actually qualified behaviourist in Ireland possibly 3 that are covered by insurance so be careful of using that term plus it's expensive to continue on you have to be committed to it there are a lot of people with experience who can't get work the key is to get your foot in the door get yourself know & then commit to educating yourself good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galway 11

Are you allowed pets in your accommodation? If you were <snip> have no kennels as far as I know all dogs rescued are put into foster care until they find a forever home. Or even to foster a dog, pup, cat or kitten from an animal welfare organisation. Many find kennels difficult to cope with and really need some TLC. You could help gain a dogs confidence in people and change its life so it can be rehomed. Getting it used to walking on a lead etc

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jmck

I would love to foster animals and know that animal centres need people to take kittens and puppies aswell, but I work full time and so does my partner. We rent a house with a good back garden but even when I mind my parents dog when they go away I feel guilty leaving him in the garden / house for the day. There are also a lot of houses around mine, many with elderly people in them so I wouldn't like a lonely / scared dog barking all day either.:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement