Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I was Don Barry

Options
  • 13-08-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Thread designed to get the views of the UL population as to if they were "The Don" what would they do to improve the University of Limerick

My thoughts initially are:
    1. Improve the Library substantially to provide adequate amount of books to cover the big courses, often there are only 3/4 books which are designated as core to modules which have large numbers, in the library
    2. Every module should be subject to review year on year often our voice as students goes unheard among lecturers
    3. Reduced parking fees maybe introduce where if you buy a ticket for a week its €10 compared to paying €3 a day something like that or rent a bike scheme something anyway to make access to the campus easier
    4. Bring more sporting events to the campus fitzgibbon, athletics etc. etc.
    5. Help out the students union (I know its meant to be self-maintaining but it seems to be in tatters at the moment)
    6. Monitor more closely the service providers for campus accomodation. Every year there are stories of students been screwed over either by failing to give back deposits or security personnel acting the maggot come rag week

Hopefully this can get a bit of a debate going on thoughts on how to improve UL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Might not be an issue for the don, but if he could get security at the library to ask for college id, tha would be great. Sick of secondary students coming up, chatting and not studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Try and deal with money problems in the college

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

1. Improve the Library substantially to provide adequate amount of books to cover the big courses, often there are only 3/4 books which are designated as core to modules which have large numbers, in the library
    Far as I know thats the call of lecturers as to how many books are in the library. Half them wrote the books so probably think by not having many copies in the library will force students to buy there book meaning they get more money for themselves.
    3. Reduced parking fees maybe introduce where if you buy a ticket for a week its €10 compared to paying €3 a day something like that or rent a bike scheme something anyway to make access to the campus easier
    Fantastic idea I think but the way the college probably thinks is that parking is so scarce on campus ppl will pay 3 a day cause they have to park somewhere so they might aswell keep on raking in the cash.

4. Bring more sporting events to the campus fitzgibbon, athletics etc. etc.
    This is on the clubs themselves to bid for the events and hosting these events cost the clubs money that they mighten be able to afford on the budgets they have to run there clubs. There is extra funding available through special apps but these don't pay for the tournament in full so clubs have to try and do additional fundraising to pay to host large tournaments.

Advertisement