Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need boots made for walking....

Options
  • 13-08-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

I have saved up all of my pocket money and I have about 150 to spend on a pair of good solid hopefully will last a good few years hiking boots.

I would like something that are waterproof, easy to clean, sturdy enough for rock roads up mountains and most of all, comfortable. Can anybody make any suggestions on makes, types and places of interest where I can pick some up?

I am in Dundalk but spend a bit of time in Cavan or North Dublin so all suggestions welcome. I am afraid that I am a bit of a newb when it comes to good boots and what I am using at the moment whilst "ok" is not suitable for when we start getting some decent rainfall.

Cheers folks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Locdown

Not normally on this section,looked are your question and stumbled on this...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056549192 hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Cheers for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

Meindl are excellent, being using them for about 20 years (not the same pair ;) ), before that I had a cracking pair of Zamberlan (Alpine Lite). Spend as much as you can on a good brand and you will get your moneys worth back over the years.

And dont be tight when buying socks, expect to spend €20 to €25, your feet will thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

K2 wrote: »
    Meindl are excellent, being using them for about 20 years (not the same pair ;) ), before that I had a cracking pair of Zamberlan (Alpine Lite). Spend as much as you can on a good brand and you will get your moneys worth back over the years.

And dont be tight when buying socks, expect to spend €20 to €25, your feet will thank you!

Thanks for that.

I've sold a Kayak and will be venturing into The Great Outdoors to be hopefully fitted on Thursday evening.

I've heard that Mendil are good however are generally only suited to a certain foot type.

I hope The GO can help me make an informed decision. :)

As for the socks, I'll be shopping around. Found a lovely wee shop in Blanch the other day that are selling quality gear at good prices. May buy some tester socks there and see how the fair out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I bought these recently for hiking in Nepal:
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/content/557-review-berghaus-explorer-trek-gtx-boots.html

After 24 days in the Himalayas, my feet were feeling just fine thanks to these boots. Snow, muck, scree, through shallow rivers, the lot. These boots (along with some good quality socks) didn't let me down and never let in water. I managed to pick up mine in the Uk and they were on sale, so look around for a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Dagon wrote: »
    I bought these recently for hiking in Nepal:
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/content/557-review-berghaus-explorer-trek-gtx-boots.html

After 24 days in the Himalayas, my feet were feeling just fine thanks to these boots. Snow, muck, scree, through shallow rivers, the lot. These boots (along with some good quality socks) didn't let me down and never let in water. I managed to pick up mine in the Uk and they were on sale, so look around for a bargain.
    I was just about to reccomend some berghaus boots, they are great imo.

Advertisement