Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old grass

Options
  • 13-08-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the process of preparing my garden for a new lawn. The old grass has been burned now for a number of weeks and I've started rotovating. Once rotovated do I have to lift all of the old grass in preparation for the new turf or does it matter?

Thanks,

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Dubsey wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of preparing my garden for a new lawn. The old grass has been burned now for a number of weeks and I've started rotovating. Once rotovated do I have to lift all of the old grass in preparation for the new turf or does it matter?

Thanks,

D.
    Short answer is no, But it will depend on two things. Firstly if your soil is good and dry it should rotovate into a fine easily rakeable soil. Secondly if your rotovator is upto the job and soil is dry. Happy days.

If soil is wet/damp it wont rotovate well and you will be left with very lumpy soil thats hard to rake and level. If this is the case then if possible buy some fine soil and a thinish layer of this on top the lumpy soil will work.
    How big is the area as it could be expensive that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Hey there,

Rotovating is finished and I'm knackered! Had it hired so wanted to get finished this evening.

The heavy rain last night and this morning didn't help as (as you said) the clay got rather clumpy as opposed to nice and fine and loose so I'm thinking that there be some raking ahead for me. I did get a chance to rotovate it twice so the grass is now fairly well broken up.

The size of the garden is approx 140 sq. m and I also want to make the gradient of it constant as, currently, once you reach the middle of the garden it falls away quicker after that.

Anyways, glad to have as much done as we have.

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement