Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone call from FO

Options
  • 13-08-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭

Just got a call from my Firearms Officer, reference my two populated forms I submitted for my 17HMR and 308, The Super wants a letter as to why I want a Supressor and a letter why I want a Telescopic Sight:confused:I have them for years and on my previous Licences. Thats what I get for moving house never had that problem in my last station in 30 odd years.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Submit the letter for the mod, that would be standard practice and tell them no authorisation is required for telescopic sights. Did you tic the box for sights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Just got a call from my Firearms Officer, reference my two populated forms I submitted for my 17HMR and 308, The Super wants a letter as to why I want a Supressor and a letter why I want a Telescopic Sight:confused:I have them for years and on my previous Licences. Thats what I get for moving house never had that problem in my last station in 30 odd years.:(

Unfortunately it looks as if you have a confused super sorry for your troubles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Are they the pre-filled renewal forms or new gun applications?

city or county?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

My father moved to the country and got some hassle from the local guard when he went to renew his gun license that he had held for ever.
    The gas thing is the Guards have complete access to your records re gun ownership. The local FO could get one of my referee's date of birth off the system even though he had not held a gun license for over 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

I could be wrong but I think where it gas a box for a scope it refers to night vision scope I asked the question a while ago..I did however send a letter in for my scope just to be sure..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

shooter88 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think where it gas a box for a scope it refers to night vision scope I asked the question a while ago..I did however send a letter in for my scope just to be sure..
    Yes its just for NV, why did you bother eith the letter? You dont beed their permission or approval for a scope, even if a guard turned around and told you cant have one, you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Seems everybody is having grief lately with the super ,im in the middle of a blame game with my local station and the station were the super is based...I am going to take this further if i still have no solution by thursday... 5 months waiting on a license... i have firearms 17 years and have never been treated like this before..being fed lies and getting my calls ignored, would the Garda Ombudsman be a bit drastic? I am getting fairly angry with the whole situation now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

lb1981 wrote: »
    ..............., would the Garda Ombudsman be a bit drastic?
    You might get a better, and swifter response from the Firearms Policy unit. That is what they are there for.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Whenever i get the run around from the lads in the local station i always ring the district office and have a chat with the supers secretary she always sorts it out.

Ezridax wrote: »
    You might get a better, and swifter response from the Firearms Policy unit. That is what they are there for.
    I rang them last month and they said they cant do anything till the super makes a decision, basically all of a sudden the super wanted extra proof of a safe , house alarm and the land i have permission to shoot on , So i provided all of that no problem even though as a member of a gun club i shouldnt have to provide any land owner details.. but now im getting the local FO saying he submitted the info and supers station saying he didnt.. evrytime i ring up either someone is on a week or twos leave or out sick...the weeks are passing by and it is getting very frustraiting aswel as the lad i bought the gun from being left waiting for the few bob this long and the land owners hounding me to shoot rabbits for them

• Advertisement

Sorry for your troubles lad. It can be a pain.

Unfortunately they have no power to affect policy or Super's decisions. Their purpose was to inform both sides of the licensing laws, and help a smooth running of it.

As you said they must wait for a decision to be made. However they are, and can be an effect tool to help you out so don't discount them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ezridax wrote: »
    Sorry for your troubles lad. It can be a pain.

Unfortunately they have no power to affect policy or Super's decisions. Their purpose was to inform both sides of the licensing laws, and help a smooth running of it.

As you said they must wait for a decision to be made. However they are, and can be an effect tool to help you out so don't discount them.
    Thanks for the info, I just don't want to cause too much grief for myself but its getting silly,it is not a case of being refused it as they have been telling me it won't be a problem and I have just subbed one shotgun and renued another 2 guns,its this messing around between the 2 stations which are both five minutes from my house one to the left of my estate and one to the right....crazy that I can't just deal with the main one

We all know that there is the way it's meant to work compared to the real world application (don't rock the boat method).

However don't be put off. Try everything the official way, then if you get no joy, contact the FPU. You are following "procedure", and using the system as it should be. It's not causing grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

but now im getting the local FO saying he submitted the info and supers station saying he didnt.. evrytime i ring up either someone is on a week or twos leave or out sick...the weeks are passing by and it is getting very frustraiting aswel as the lad i bought the gun from being left waiting for the few bob this long and the land owners hounding me to shoot rabbits for them[/QUOTE]

This is happening to me now nearly 5 months and counting:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

..being fed lies and getting my calls ignored, would the Garda Ombudsman be a bit drastic? I am getting fairly angry with the whole situation now

WASTE of TIME when dealing with complaints relating to firearms ..:mad:.They are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.From personal and family experiance dealing with that "organisation".

But maybe if we had been travelling ,transgenderd Afro Americans,with lesbian Afghani cross dressing parents living in Moyross applying for our FACs they would proably have jumped to it!

Seeing that every complaint form has a big long questionare about your race,sexual preferances and social backround,and your experiance at the hands of AGS...:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Reading all this I can only be happy with the folks in my part of the world, the only questions I ever got is : what is it ? what's it for ? and you have a safe ? followed by fill in the paperwork and we'll get back to you in a few weeks....

And so far that's been all it's ever been.

When the new licencing system came in the local Sergeant just wanted everyone to come in with their guns for what I believe was a district wide inventory excersise to verify that nobody was keeping quiet about lost or stolen guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Younumty

Reading all this I can only be happy with the folks in my part of the world, the only questions I ever got is : what is it ? what's it for ? and you have a safe ? followed by fill in the paperwork and we'll get back to you in a few weeks....

And so far that's been all it's ever been.

When the new licencing system came in the local Sergeant just wanted everyone to come in with their guns for what I believe was a district wide inventory excersise to verify that nobody was keeping quiet about lost or stolen guns.
    So if I had an illegal firearm then I would go to the meeting and expose myself.... yeah I see the sense there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Younumty wrote: »
    So if I had an illegal firearm then I would go to the meeting and expose myself.... yeah I see the sense there.

From my reading of the post, the people targeted were those who had lost their firearms. Not for the people who had stolen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Submit the letter for the mod, that would be standard practice and tell them no authorisation is required for telescopic sights. Did you tic the box for sights?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Are they the pre-filled renewal forms or new gun applications?

city or county?

Pre Filled City

• Advertisement
Advertisement