Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-populated Forms - New Information

Options
  • 13-08-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Just been onto my station here to rectify a form I got in error for a gun that I no longer possess and I've been told that there's an error in the forms.

Along with all the other information and bits that you have to fill in, they still need you to write on a separate page the following.

1. Reason for having the particular type of gun on your application.
    2. A copy of your up to date gun club/range membership card.
    3. Security details of your house.

May save some time for people if they knew this now before they send the forms back again requesting this information.

LB6
    (I'm nice me!)

PS he did ask me if I needed moderators or sights (I don't), but if you do, you should probably put these down too as 4&5 and the reasons.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

There is a new form out marked "as amended march 2012" , typically inefficient irish public service, the form on the gardai website which you download or print off is the incorrect form. I printed this form off for a substitution and filled it out and dropped it off at the station , i was informed by the fo it was the wrong one and the whole lot was sent back to me, i now have to fill out the new form and return it again.
    The only part i can see any difference in is the last pages where the super/chief super make remarks or reasons for granting or not granting the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

LB6,

I think the information you have relates to your local station and may have come from your Super as regards what he wants.

I think if there was an error in the form, the Firearms Policy Unit would have made people aware.

Regards

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Hi DB. He did say that the Super was going to be going around checking the security arrangements on all the houses alright, but he said that there was a error on the forms and they should have had those requirements printed on them as well and that now he and other FO's are going to have to contact people about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've submitted three pre-populated forms, and have 3 more to go. A week after i sent them in i got a call from our new FO. He was just checking on the form as he said our's was the first he received.

About 3-4 days ago i got the first receipt letter so i'm assuming as Scalachi said that each station may impose their own conditions for returning the FCRs, but that it's not a "Garda policy" or error on the form.

Stand to be corrected on that.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Just got a call from my Firearms Officer, reference my two populated forms I submitted for my 17HMR and 308, The Super wants a letter as to why I want a Supressor and a letter why I want a Telescopic Sight:confused:I have them for years and on my previous Licences. Thats what I get for moving house never had that problem in my last station in 30 odd years.:(
    LB6 wrote: »
    Hi DB. He did say that the Super was going to be going around checking the security arrangements on all the houses alright, but he said that there was a error on the forms and they should have had those requirements printed on them as well and that now he and other FO's are going to have to contact people about it.

Do you and deerhunter share the same station?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

LB6 wrote: »

He must have some amount of time on his hands! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ezridax wrote: »
    I've submitted three pre-populated forms, and have 3 more to go. A week after i sent them in i got a call from our new FO. He was just checking on the form as he said our's was the first he received.

About 3-4 days ago i got the first receipt letter so i'm assuming as Scalachi said that each station may impose their own conditions for returning the FCRs, but that it's not a "Garda policy" or error on the form.

Stand to be corrected on that.

Sounds like a call to the FPU is in order again...Find it strange that they are asking for details that were already given in the application,and are hardly going to have changed, like reason for possesion,security which was signed off on and club membership..Esp this seperate page malarky,either it is part of an offical form or it isnt.
    Sounds like somone is exceeding their authorithy again...
    Not surprising..:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

well lads i got my forms the other day as well brought it to my local fo and he said the same he is calling up to me next week to look at gun safe and securtiy in house cause my local super wants all houses checked out casuse new super in my area as well

well lads i got my forms the other day as well brought it to my local fo and he said the same he is calling up to me next week to look at gun safe and securtiy in house cause my local super wants all houses checked out casuse new super in my area as well

This is seriously OTT for renewals when we already had to supply information on security, reason to have said firearms, etc. Surely this is all still on file, new Super or not? I know they have the right to check your home but seriously it's OTT in my opinion especially for lads renewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    This is seriously OTT for renewals when we already had to supply information on security, reason to have said firearms, etc. Surely this is all still on file, new Super or not? I know they have the right to check your home but seriously it's OTT in my opinion especially for lads renewing.

It might seem a little over the top but, in fairness, I have no problem with the Gardai requesting this info.

If you put down target shooting as your reason for having the firearm three years ago, it's not unreasonable for the Gardai wanting to check and see if you are still a member of the club, thus validating your reason for having the firearm.

I haven't renewed my licences yet but I'm just going to take a photo of the safe and my monitored alarm, print them out and submit it with my renewal form.

I'm a big believer in giving them as much info as possible so that they can't come back to you saying that they need more info. That's what slows down applications more than anything.

It takes about 20 mins to get the paperwork together and photocopied so it's no big deal to do it once every three years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If you put down target shooting as your reason for having the firearm three years ago, it's not unreasonable for the Gardai wanting to check and see if you are still a member of the club, thus validating your reason for having the firearm.

Can't the Garda just check with the club of which you are supposed to be a member?

Or check the range use register?

In any case, if the person concerned is no longer a member of the club then it is down to the club/range secretary to notify the license-issuing authorities of that fact...or is it?

tac

It might seem a little over the top but, in fairness, I have no problem with the Gardai requesting this info.

Battlecorp, I totally agree, neither do I have a problem but unless your circumstances, address, security arrangements, etc. have changed since your previous application, which you would have informed the Gardai of anyway. Why request the same information a second time? Afterall its just a renewal. But yes they have every right to inspect your premises although it will be very time consuming for them considering the amount of licensed firearms in the state but none of us have a problem with it should they wish to do so. Although considering people would have given all this information and inspections should have been done at application, it is a bit OTT for a renewal.

Again, I agree, most people would have put copies and information on club membership in with their applications, I know I did. Still doesnt explain why they would want t revisit everyones homes again.
    I haven't renewed my licences yet but I'm just going to take a photo of the safe and my monitored alarm, print them out and submit it with my renewal form.

I'm a big believer in giving them as much info as possible so that they can't come back to you saying that they need more info. That's what slows down applications more than anything.

It takes about 20 mins to get the paperwork together and photocopied so it's no big deal to do it once every three years.

Exactly what I have done and what most lads would have done at point of application. If nothing has changed and if you submit the same with your renewal, why visit everyones homes again? which is what a few people have said their Super's have indicated they intend doing.

I am sure no one has a problem with a visit, I know I dont but I personally think its OTT for a renewal considering many of us have held firearms for a decade or more and would have supplied this information on numerous occassions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

tac foley wrote: »
    Can't the Garda just check with the club of which you are supposed to be a member?
    Under the Firearms Act, the onus is on the club to notify the Super if you leave the club. It was a point we were fairly worried about and tried to raise before at a public meeting with the FCP, but other shouting drowned it out.

Personally though, I suspect a lot of this is blowback from the continual politicisation of court cases and the associated public garda-bashing we've been watching for the last few years. How anyone ever thought we wouldn't see any is beyond me, and this seems to be minimal enough that I'd be too busy counting my blessings to complain.

Battlecorp has the right idea - spend 20 minutes, put the paperwork together, send it in. I'd lay long long odds that more than 99.9% of all applications will get sorted in short order, because that's exactly how this has gone for the past thirty or forty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

garv123 wrote: »
    Do you and deerhunter share the same station?

I believe so yes, there is a new super up there and he is instigating this himself.

Advertisement