Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordless Power Tool Recommendations?

• 13-08-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Greetings DIY'ers.

I have a few jobs around the house that have been looming for a while and want to try get get tooled up to do them quickly and easily.

To this end, I've been keeping and eye out for the relevent power tools, preferably cordless, that I will need. Looking to get a jigsaw, decent drill/(impact driver), skill saw, grinder etc.

Have been looking at the DeWalt kits available, from here, for instance.

I've also been looking out for second hand cordless tools on the likes of donedeal and adverts, but everything seems to be the older NiCad battery generation, along with a healthy asking price and as usual, with no sort of warranty or comeback.

I'm looking to strike a balance between quality and cost.

Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on the kit linked, and/or other places I should be looking?

Thanks in advance for your help / guidance.

luc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Dewalt is good gear alright but a bit extreme for a DIY man.

However you get what you pay for. Paragon tools in Tallaght have some decent sets...look them up on google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

From my (limited) experience, I wouldn't go with a cordless skill saw or jigsaw, both will drink a battery in minutes. THe only good cordless grinder i've seen in action was a hilti, but not cheap.

I bought a set similar to the one above, a ryobi one, and regret it, if I was going again I'd get a great cordless drill, a good sds, a corded jig and skill saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Talked to Paragon, as far as I can tell, they're moving down to Brookes on the Naas Road atm.

Good point about cordless saws, makes a lot of sense as I would imagine a battery would die off pretty quickly depending on the thickness of the material being cut.

Thanks to you both for the feedback.

Advertisement