Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting in Times Square

• 13-08-2012 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They should have just shot him in the thumb, then he wouldn't have been able to hold a knife :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Why not one shot to disable him rather that what sounded like 8-9 shots and killing him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Why can't they go for the legs ffs and bring him down that way? Didn't they all get marksman training?

Having said that, I'm not surprised they went for the kill, anyone waving a knife about in the states in front of cops is asking to be shot.

What the witness said is just fcuked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

according to the report he was shot by two officers, so basically they unloaded their entire clips into his belly.

****ing hell, talk about over kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

12 shots in a crowded area,

That's what got me. 12 shots does seem excessive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Cops over here (and any armed police for that matter) are trained to shoot to kill. Using your weapon should be a last resort and if it has to be used, the target should be the torso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Cops over here (and any armed police for that matter) are trained to shoot to kill. Using your weapon should be a last resort and if it has to be used, the target should be the torso.
    Torso could be anything from the groin to the gullet.

I thought it was the shoulder, to be more specific?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It would be one thing to fire several shots, if he had a gun. Not much he could do at distance with a knife! Justified, me hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

On one hand - why shoot him 12 times, surely after 3-4 shots he would have been well subdued.

On the other - dafaq is he running around Time Square with an 11" knife out, if he started stabbing people it'd be a far worse situation. He's far from innocent in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Dead Man Walking

That wasn't a justified kill at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

My first post was abit of a joke but we don't know what happened right before the shooting as it's not on camera. From the OP's post though it says he lunged at the/one Police Officers. He really shouldn't have done that and in that situation what other options did the Police have but to shoot him? One or two shots might not have disabled him leaving them open to what ever intent he had in mind.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    On one hand - why shoot him 12 times, surely after 3-4 shots he would have been well subdued.

On the other - dafaq is he running around Time Square with an 11" knife out, if he started stabbing people it'd be a far worse situation. He's far from innocent in this situation.

Nobody is questioning his culpability...

Cops were definitely out of order if that sequence of events is true.

The comments from people and those taking pictures with the crime scene just make me a little bit sad for the world tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The cops seemed to be as proficient as the person shooting the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Even forget about shooting in the legs, did none have a tazer gun? or some other nonlethal weapon other than spray. There were loads of them there.

Your Completely wrong, your taught to aim low. shoot to kill is a last resort. Them cops only tried pepper-spray, could/should have shot him in the leg or arm

I thought they were trained to shot the torso, aiming for a leg in a crowded street might miss and rickoshea into a civilian

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nemesisdg

That wasn't a justified kill at all

"Justified kill" sounds like a term you'd use in a video game.

Seemingly they pepper sprayed him 6 times!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I love the keyboard warriors here.

The man lunged at them with a 12inch blade. In that situation, no matter how trained you are, you would shoot and not stop shooting until the knife wielding maniac was on the ground.

Suicide by cop i reckon. lunging at a cop with a knife in america is asking for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

That is really terrible footage. There were at least 30 people filming that, and this was the best that was put on youtube?

Whatever about the 12 shots, if there's a man with a knife running around he's going to get killed, 12 seems excessive but it's better than an innocent person being stabbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Your Completely wrong, your taught to aim low. shoot to kill is a last resort. Them cops only tried pepper-spray, could/should have shot him in the leg or arm

Have you ever even handled a firearm? Shooting at a target the size of a leg from 15-20 feet isn't too hard...when calm. But try when it's actually a person.

12 Shots is a bit excessive given how one could have gone stray, but killing him wasn't excessive, biggest target is the safest target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

He had a knife in his hand for christs sake - not an AK47 !!

Way too much force. He didn't need to be killed. Poor bastard.

vicwatson wrote: »
    He had a knife in his hand for christs sake - not an AK47 !!

You do know knives are a deadly weapon?

Cops were definitely out of order if that sequence of events is true.

The comments from people and those taking pictures with the crime scene just make me a little bit sad for the world tbh.

Completely agre. WTF is with people wanting to taking video of him being killed? I despair

CatFromHue wrote: »

Not from 12 feet they aren't

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Seems like it was an event lasting a bit of time, surely enough time to get rubber bullets, bean bags or a taser on hand to incapacitate him?

On the other side of it, aiming for the centre mass means they are less likely to miss and injure an innocent but in all honesty just walk up and shoot him in the legs

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    here here, never try make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a gun

They only fired when he lunged at them i.e. when they had no other option as they were in danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

They gave him plenty of time and opportunity to put his weapon down and cop the fcuk on.

12 bullets might have been a bit excessive but if he charged at an officer with the weapon, there could be hardly any other outcome.

"Hopefully 1 or 2 bullets might stop him from stabbing me in the chest" isn't an option.

He needed to be taken down before he could cause the officer harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Completely agre. WTF is with people wanting to taking video of him being killed? I despair

I think it's more to do with having a record of the event rather than gaining any pleasure watching the guy get killed.
    Brazilian tourist Lincoln Rocha told AP: "When I saw the officers draw their guns, I was sure they would kill him. If they're going to kill him, I want to take some pictures, I want to record it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I think you will find that they are, it has been shown that knives are actually more dangerous than guns when less than 5m apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Seaneh wrote: »
    Why not one shot to disable him rather that what sounded like 8-9 shots and killing him?

That's what I thought as well.

Firing so many shots in a crowded area seems a bit much in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

A man wielding a knife was shot in by police officers in times square

http://news.sky.com/story/972040/times-square-shooting-tourists-film-police

As you can see from the video there are at least a dozen officers armed pursuing the man on foot slowly. Some may argue What they did was wrong others may argue they were right. From the looks of things they were trying to get the man into an area where they could apprehend him by weight of numbers when he lunged at them.

what bothers me most is this little snippet of Quotation from a witness

"If they're going to kill him, I want to take some pictures, I want to record it."

It just goes to show that Americans have a ridiculous gun culture, and that the right to bear arms is not for self-defence, but wanting to see someone killed for absolutely no reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well without further details of why nobody was carrying a taser, and presuming that nobody was carrying a taser, then I don't see any other way for this to have ended.

They were trying to contain him without putting themselves at risk, when he did get contained he tried to attack them and was dropped. The amount of shots is excessive perhaps, but if a big bastard is running at me with a foot-long knife, I probably wouldn't stop shooting until his body hit the ground. If someone was sufficiently off their head, even five bullets in the stomach or chest might not stop them from coming.
    I'm not going to shoot twice and then stop to see if he's still coming at me. Keep shooting until he's on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

nucker wrote: »
    It just goes to show that Americans have a ridiculous gun culture, and that the right to bear arms is not for self-defence, but wanting to see someone killed for absolutely no reasons.

It's a quote from a Brazilian tourist, not an American.

Sykk wrote: »

12 bullets might have been a bit excessive but if he charged at an officer with the weapon, there could be hardly any other outcome.

"Hopefully 1 or 2 bullets might stop him from stabbing me in the chest" isn't an option.

He needed to be taken down before he could cause the officer harm.

and given the fact they mentioned he was on hash one or two shots may not of stopped him in his tracks.

there was a video on 'cops' years ago when a guy out of his mind on hash jumped from a second storey of a building to flee the cops, i think he broke his leg but still got up and ran after the fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

and given the fact they mentioned he was on hash one or two shots may not of stopped him in his tracks.

WTF?

PCP hash was it?

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    WTF?

PCP hash was it?

from the article
    Kennedy was smoking marijuana near the military recruiting station in Times Square about 3pm on Saturday when officers first approached, police said.

probably skunk hash or similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

from the article

probably skunk hash or similar

Crushed up weed tabs.......

Good jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

You are actually wrong. I completed my firearms training program in the US recently and i'm not that long involved in law enforcement. You are trained to aim for the center mass. 2 successive shots, assess the threat and take appropriate action. There is no shoot to kill policy. There is a shoot to stop or eliminate the threat policy however. Which can result in the death of the perpetrator.

I haven't read about this incident but when any officer draws his gun it is not a decision taken lightly and is based on their training involving force continuum. At times what can seem like overkill is because you are trained to shoot until the threat is over. And very often people can be shot a few times before they realize they are shot. This ain't the movies. People don't fall over when shot. Especially people charged up on adrenaline or drugs. People tend to only react and fall down when they see blood. So when you shoot the center mass and the guy is still standing coming at you, you are trained to keep firing. I hope to never need my weapon and despite my training i can't comment on anything with real life experience. But from my training program i understand more why a person can often be shot 6 or 7 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭gibraltar

Ever tried to shoot at a moving target? A lot harder than it looks, also would you take the chance that maybe the only shot you get to fire would disable him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

12 shots to the torso? what if he was a zombie? double tap to the head is the way to go.

mikom wrote: »
    Crushed up weed tabs.......

Good jaysus.

I dunno. they said he was smoking it, so was probably through a glass pipe bong which i think makes it 4 times stronger and could account for why they had to be sure he was down

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭gibraltar

Wrong, the training is to shoot what you have the highest chance of hitting and causing the person to stop, basically aiming for the sternum is statistically the best way to stop someone.

An intentional head or leg shot on a moving target with a handgun is mostly the stuff of computer games.

gibraltar wrote: »
    An intentional head or leg shot on a moving target with a handgun is mostly the stuff of computer games.

Thumb shot my man, thumb shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

according to the report he was shot by two officers, so basically they unloaded their entire clips into his belly.

****ing hell, talk about over kill.
    amuse me with your ignorance, how was it overkill? How was it their full clips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

walk around with a knife, get shot by Police.

I don't get the discussion.

Knife crime needs to be sorted, what better way.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement