Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Induction year

• 13-08-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi, plan on doing pgde secondary in UK. Does anyone know if I have to do the induction year over there? I've emailed both university over there and teaching council over here and am waiting for a response on the edge of my seat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

rothai wrote: »
    Hi, plan on doing pgde secondary in UK. Does anyone know if I have to do the induction year over there? I've emailed both university over there and teaching council over here and am waiting for a response on the edge of my seat.

Yes you do.
    Since 2008 as far as I remember.

I did it in 2006/2007 & came back straight away. You can no longer do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rothai

Hi Coptoor,
    Which side said you had to do it abroad? the Teaching council here or the Authorities where you were studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭faughs

Hey. You just have to do your actual PGDE year. It is a myth that you need to do the induction/nqt year in the UK. The only thing you need to do is sit the history of education exam that is ran by the teaching council when you return to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rothai

Teaching council of ireland are after getting back to me and they say I do need to complete the years induction in scotland.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

rothai wrote: »
    Teaching council of ireland are after getting back to me and they say I do need to complete the years induction in scotland.!

Exactly.

It's not a myth as the other poster said.

The reason this loophole was closed off is because in Ireland, after you do the PGDE, you are an NQT, whereas in the UK, when you do the PGCE, you obtain Qualified Teacher Status, QTS, and must do an induction year (90% timetable & a few inspections) to obtain the NQT.

Anyway, from next year, this will be a much better option than the 2 year PGDE in Ireland as this way you'll do a 1 year post grad & 1 year proper teaching & then can come back to Ireland in a more employable position than someone just out of the 2 year PGDE.

• Advertisement
Advertisement