Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cat Food?

• 13-08-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I feed my cat both dry and wet food. I feed her Royal Canin nuts which I am quite happy with. I also give her a pouch of Royal Canin Ultra Light wet food every day which she loves. However, I am concerned that there are not enough nutrients in the pouch. I have tried her with tuna, etc, but she eats very little of it. The pet shop was out of the pouches today so gave me what he said was a better one, Real Nature, but shwe didn't like it as much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Have you had a look on Zooplus.ie? They have the most extensive range of cat food I've come across and there is a break down of all the ingredients in each brand. I buy my Royal Canin Pure Feline from them and they deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I actually ordered some Royal Canin pouches from Zooplus.ie today. They have a very good supply alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Is it much more expensive feeding them a "quality" food over the usually supermarket brands? Do you see a difference in your cats with/without the premium food?

Just curious about it. Thanks.

Yes you will pay a lot more for brands such as Royal Canin, Science Plan, etc than you will for supermarket brands. I pay extra because I want the best diet for my cat but have no proof that one is better than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

While Royal Canin and Science plan are better than the supermarket brands, i wouldn't call them the best. The grain-free foods are fantastic, less smell from the litter tray (not to mention less poop), the cats tend to be much more energetic on them and it can eliminate skin issues. Royal Canin and Science plan used to be good foods, but since recession kicked in, both have cheapened their foods by changing the bags without mentioning that they've added more cereals. Instead it's labelled as 'improved taste'. Porta 21 for example is a fantastic food you can get from zooplus, a 2kg bag is 9.99 compared to a 20.99 bag of Royal Canin, and Porta 21 has waaaay more meat in it and no cereals!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Will check that one out. I heard alright that pet food with grain was not good for cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

+1 Rommie
    Thanks for the heads up, I must check that brand out on zooplus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

I order my kitties the Grau grain free food and the Almo raw pouches on Zooplus and I have seen a massive improvement in their hair, skin and energy. Not to mention a difference in what they leave in the litter tray!

The younger one used to pass quite foul smelling gas but has stopped this since being put on the food.

We had him on whiskas and felix for the first week or two while looking into good diets. Unfortunately my last zooplus order was delayed and i ended up giving the younger one some felix and he had Diarrhea :(
    I make sure to order in bulk now and more often to ensure i don't run out!
    I don't even think id feed mine Royal Canin now as they are getting so used to (And doing so well) on grain free food.

For 24 x 200g of the grau it works out at about 28e but we now go for the 24 x 400g which works out at 48e and free shipping.. Supplemented with some raw food and the odd bit of cooked meat the 48e would do them the month.

I also love the points system on zooplus! Have got a free freebies so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

I have 2 cats and 1 will eat Whiskas bite n chew only and it works out more expensive to fed him that cheap crap than my other cat who eats select gold because u don't need to feed as much . As much as I'd lke him to not eat the Whiskas it is the only thing he will eat he very fussy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Morf wrote: »
    Is it much more expensive feeding them a "quality" food over the usually supermarket brands? Do you see a difference in your cats with/without the premium food?

Just curious about it. Thanks.

I have used both 'quality' and supermarket brands and saw no difference in my cats, so therefore use supermarket brands as I find it more convenient. I find the price of some of the premium foods quite astounding for what they contain.

Its all down to a matter of choice in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement