Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a building2building wifi kit

Options
  • 13-08-2012 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I want to replace a Linksys WRT54G setup connecting two buildings together with a more 'out of the box' solution.
    Buildings are about 100m apart - just trees in the way. The WRT54G has been working fine, just slowly. Want to bump up the speed a little.

No options for fiber runs since it crosses a road.

I was looking at this - so that price range is OK :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

This is cheaper and looks like it would do as good as the more expensive set. This is why I need a little help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How dense are the trees? 5Ghz doesn't cope well without perfect line of sight, you may be better off using 2.4Ghz and carefully selecting the channel. I've used those Engenius before and they are fine although I usually recommend Ubiquiti, I've used them lots and they are rock stable.

2.4Ghz:
    http://www.wi-pipe.com/nanostation-m2-p-313.html?antenna=2749b50732247c3293f2ebde707acb83
    5Ghz:
    http://www.wi-pipe.com/nanostation-m5-p-377.html?antenna=2749b50732247c3293f2ebde707acb83

Thanks for the tips, will aim to keep to the 2.4 freq and see how we go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Set both of them to Ireland region in settings and try channel 13. Channels 12 and 13 can be used here but aren't used as much because devices bought in the USA or set to USA region won't work. USA regulations only allow 1-11.

Thought I'd throw an update up - so after another attempt at getting the Linksys WRT units to keep a steady link, which they couldn't, I ended up getting two NanoStation M2 units. These are great!
    I will need to buy some external rated cat5/6 and rewire them up I can see myself getting another unit at least to bounce the network to another house. I like the second LAN port on the units, you can basically have two of them on one pole facing different directions. Just one cable up and daisy chain them together and turn on POE on the secondary port.
    Suddenly I want to try to link two locations together which are 10km apart :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement