Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shared houses, landlords and housemates

• 13-08-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I'm just wondering about people's experiences in shared houses.
    I recently moved into one and I'm wondering how normal is it that my landlord is here so often despite it not being owner occupied. It's not that I mind as much, but I thought it was a bit odd for him to be hanging out here as often as he does. He usually just sits in the living room and watches tv or goes on his laptop. I also know that he'll eat people's food while he's here. Also, the one time I went down for breakfast before I left I found him sleeping on the couch.
    Is this normal?
    Does anyone have any stories about their landlords or housemates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Thats not allowed at all to be honest. He shouldn't be there end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

Landlords need to give 24 hours notice before showing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭number66

I would consider it highly worrying that your landload is using your place as a crash pad, It's more normal that if your landlord wants to enter your home he has to notify you in advance and receive your permission to enter. Now if one of you flat mates has given him permission that a bit different. Still not something I'd be happy about. Have you talked to the other people in the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Its illegal but mine used to do it too. I lived in student accommodation, and one morning my OH and I were in bed only to have some guy from NPC internet use the master key reception had given him to get into my room to fix my internet. Scared the hell out of me.

It used to happen all the time to us, we'd be minding our own business only for reception or security to let themselves into our occupied bedrooms to ask us something or get us to fill in some form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

AFAIK, if it's a normal tenancy, he has zero right to enter your home except within the terms of the tenancy agreement. Outside of that, maybe it's just the rent-a-room scheme that he has registered under and therefore he lives there as well offically.

But, it sounds complete out of order and a breach of your tenancy rights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

JamieKCCO wrote: »

Also, when a landlord calls to give notice and arrange a visit, it's at a time of your convenience, not his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

SOmething siilar happened to me last year. Wasn't the landlord though but the manitance guy. Would let himself in and have a cup of tea. He was dead sound though and we could all have the craic with him so no one minded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

JamieKCCO wrote: »

Had thought it was something along the lines of mutually-agreed arranged reasonable notice, is it definitely 24 hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I moved into a new place on Saturday just had a look at the newly signed lease and I have up to 7 days to arange to let the landlord come and view the place should they need or want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

My old man rents a house and has a terrible habit of letting himself into the place. He tends not to live in the real world sometimes.

He generally only goes in to empty the bins for them, or take any glass to be recycled so I don't think anyone minds that much.

He's also too cheap to buy two hoovers, so he goes in and takes the one from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

That's not normal, OP, and would seriously piss me off. A housemate once caught our landlady stealing cleaning supplies from our kitchen, the stingy auld cow. We were a student house so none of us were usually there at the weekend. Made me wonder how often she'd let herself in.

Who steals from students, seriously? And more importantly, who steals cleaning supplies from students who are actually keeping a student house clean? Nutjob. I wouldn't mind but she then had the audacity to try to keep some of the deposit to clean the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

If ya rent the room seperately then the landlord can enter without notice. Its different to if the whole house is rented.

Had an issue with a previous landlord nd one of housemates researched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Unfortunately, I do just rent a room. I don't like it because I'm very aware that the house and all the plates and cups etc belong to him and I feel like I'm imposing if he's in the next room while I'm making dinner. I thought about buying my own stuff, but I don't really have the money and my housemates would probably use them unless I kept them in my room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

SOmething siilar happened to me last year. Wasn't the landlord though but the manitance guy. Would let himself in and have a cup of tea. He was dead sound though and we could all have the craic with him so no one minded
    If it was my place he'd just be dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Millicent wrote: »
    That's normal, OP, and would seriously piss me off. A housemate once caught our landlady stealing cleaning supplies from our kitchen, the stingy auld cow. We were a student house so none of us were usually there at the weekend. Made me wonder how often she'd let herself in.

Who steals from students, seriously? And more importantly, who steals cleaning supplies from students who are actually keeping a student house clean? Nutjob. I wouldn't mind but she then had the audacity to try to keep some of the deposit to clean the place!
    Yeah the last time I lived in rented accommodation the landlady said 'just leave the rent in an envelope in the drawer or something and I'll pick it up when I'm passing'. :rolleyes:
    I said no thanks, you can ring me to let me know you're coming to pick up the rent and if I'm not there we'll arrange a time when I am. I ended up leaving because I found her snooping round the flat when I came home on several occasions, pissed me off no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

OP, are you sure he's definitely your landlord or is he just pretending to be your landlord, but is really a hobo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Johro wrote: »
    That's normal, OP, and would seriously piss me off. A housemate once caught our landlady stealing cleaning supplies from our kitchen, the stingy auld cow. We were a student house so none of us were usually there at the weekend. Made me wonder how often she'd let herself in.

Yeah the last time I lived in rented accommodation the landlady said 'just leave the rent in an envelope in the drawer or something and I'll pick it up when I'm passing'. :rolleyes:
    I said no thanks, you can ring me to let me know you're coming to pick up the rent and if I'm not there we'll arrange a time when I am. I ended up leaving because I found her snooping round the flat when I came home on several occasions, pissed me off no end.
    First year of college was like that...she insisted on the brown envelope job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I lived in student accommodation last year and it was a pain in the ass. They would just let themselves in looking for water or something. We had weekly inspections of the living room and kitchen once a week but they would barge on in and a few times I would be lying in bed when one of them would charge in, I had to turn the thing in the door so nobody could get in from the outside even with a key.
    Came back after christmas to see they decided to have the heating on 9+ hours a day in each of the room, except for mine which they turned it off despite setting the timer.

Never again am I living in a place like that. Is it really hard to knock and wait before entering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I recently moved into one and I'm wondering how normal is it that my landlord is here so often despite it not being owner occupied. It's not that I mind as much, but I thought it was a bit odd for him to be hanging out here as often as he does. He usually just sits in the living room and watches tv or goes on his laptop. I also know that he'll eat people's food while he's here. Also, the one time I went down for breakfast before I left I found him sleeping on the couch.
    Is this normal?

Hey op your story sounds very familiar. A freind of mine was a student who moved into a shared accomadation in south Dublin. The ad said not owner occupied but the landlord was there most of the time. The landlord spent most of the time on the computer also :O! Be very careful if the house is owner occupied op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

That's not normal, OP, and would seriously piss me off. A housemate once caught our landlady stealing cleaning supplies from our kitchen, the stingy auld cow. We were a student house so none of us were usually there at the weekend. Made me wonder how often she'd let herself in.

students with cleaning materials:eek:

• Advertisement

students with cleaning materials:eek:

I know. We paid the TV licence and all. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I know. We paid the TV licence and all. :eek:

Must go and have a lie down to recover

Cleaning materials, TV license and students in the same house

Must go and have a lie down to recover

Cleaning materials, TV license and students in the same house

To be fair, the cleaning products were used quite often to clean up after two of the students who were messy arseholes. Leaving butter knives on the counter and buttering toast without a plate... *shudder* Oh also having house parties where people pissed in the garden, left cans everywhere and basically were inconsiderate dicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

To be fair, the cleaning products were used quite often to clean up after two of the students who were messy arseholes. Leaving butter knives on the counter and buttering toast without a plate... *shudder* Oh also having house parties where people pissed in the garden, left cans everywhere and basically were inconsiderate dicks.

I lived in a student party house and thats a nightmare! I woke up one day with police tape all over the living room and once walked into the toilet where there was a drunk uncouncious naked student!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Years ago, being too poor on a pittance of a wage working in retail, I went home for my lunch instead of buying one. All the flatmates were at work as usual. I heard a noise in one of the bedrooms and went to see if a cat got in the window or something.

There was our landlord, with the drawer open and a pair of knickers in his hand. :eek:

We couldnt move out fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Who cares about your landlord...

...PANCAKES RULE!!!!
    *punches the air*

Neyite wrote: »
    Years ago, being too poor on a pittance of a wage working in retail, I went home for my lunch instead of buying one. All the flatmates were at work as usual. I heard a noise in one of the bedrooms and went to see if a cat got in the window or something.

There was our landlord, with the drawer open and a pair of knickers in his hand. :eek:

What did you even say to him?!

What did you even say to him?!

I asked him why he was in the room and he made up some BS about hearing a noise when he came in to check the boiler. I just said "a noise coming from her knicker drawer?" and he practically ran from the house. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Amateur!!

You go straight the laundry basket for wore knickers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I recently moved into one and I'm wondering how normal is it that my landlord is here so often despite it not being owner occupied. It's not that I mind as much, but I thought it was a bit odd for him to be hanging out here as often as he does. He usually just sits in the living room and watches tv or goes on his laptop. I also know that he'll eat people's food while he's here.

Is he contributing to food, bills, and/or rent? :pac:

If not, evict him.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

I recently moved into one and I'm wondering how normal is it that my landlord is here so often despite it not being owner occupied. It's not that I mind as much, but I thought it was a bit odd for him to be hanging out here as often as he does. He usually just sits in the living room and watches tv or goes on his laptop. I also know that he'll eat people's food while he's here.

Is he contributing to food, bills, and/or rent? :pac:

If not, evict him.

He could be contributing to bills. We all pay a flat rate of an extra €20 per month unless they get too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Is this normal?

maybe he has camera installed in the bedrooms like one Galway landlord. its not normal and a bit strange. some landlords drop by once a week or month to collect the rent (and not declare it or register the property). move out as soon as you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I haven't seen my landlord since I moved in 10 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

actually I have the exact opposite issue. My landlord wont do a fukcing thing. Havent seen him since I signed my lease.

actually I have the exact opposite issue. My landlord wont do a fukcing thing. Havent seen him since I signed my lease.

"Forget" to pay the rent. You'll fooking see him then all right.

• Advertisement

tried that before. remember winter last year? end of 2010 / Early 2011? My boiler broke down when all the pipes froze. I was without heating for like 3 months.
    to get a bath, i had to boil pots of water on the cooker. it took 2 hours to prep a bath.
    I stopped paying my rent after the first month.
    They refused to fix it until I gave my rent money (which would be funded to fix the boiler.)
    my attitude: no boiler? no money for you. boiler should have been fixed immediately.

got evicted in that February. appartment was only fixed up a couple of months ago and put on Daft.
    rich cnut was living in Spain.

some landlords are fukcing scum.

tried that before. remember winter last year? end of 2010 / Early 2011? My boiler broke down when all the pipes froze. I was without heating for like 3 months.
    to get a bath, i had to boil pots of water on the cooker. it took 2 hours to prep a bath.
    They refused to fix it until I gave my rent money (which would be funded to fix the boiler.)
    my attitude: no boiler? no money for you. boiler should have been fixed immediately.

got evicted in that February. appartment was only fixed up a couple of months ago and put on Daft.

Threshold's advice. You're not bound to the contract if the landlord doesn't make the necessary repairs to a property after you have informed him appropriately.

There are loads of places to rent these days. Don't let your current landlord take the mick.

Threshold's advice. You're not bound to the contract if the landlord doesn't make the necessary repairs to a property after you have informed him appropriately.

There are loads of places to rent these days. Don't let your current landlord take the mick.

I was innocent. It was my first place away from home. I know now not to take shiite. so ive been hounding my current landlord lately.

I was innocent. It was my first place away from home. I know now not to take shiite. so ive been hounding my current landlord lately.

Send him written notice.
    If repairs are necessary inform your landlord in writing.
    If your property does not meet minimum standards, you can make a complaint to your local authority, which are responsible for ensuring rented property meets minimums standards.
    If the landlord does not carry out the necessary repairs in a reasonable timeframe, you can serve your landlord with a Notice of Termination on the ground of failure of the landlord to meet their obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004

Feck that for a game of soldiers -- there's landlords all over the country crying out for tenants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

@OP have you and the other house mate's not asked him why the feck he is hanging out in your house ?

i would ring up the prtb or threshold and inquire about it if its making uncomfortable or the lot of you ask him to a "meeting" and tell him to get the feck out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Came back after christmas one year and found the landlord coming out of one of the bedrooms with his new son in law.

im hoping he was just showing off his kingdom.

we all moved out 2 weeks later and he didnt get the place rented for about 3 months.

that mistake cost him at least E3,375.

another house the landlady never came to the place and the original tenant collect the rent and passed it on to the landlady who didnt know that the lineup had changed and the tenant had been overcharging each of us (still cheap enough) and had converted the dining room into another bedroom. We got kicked out within a week when one of the lads got the landladys number from a neighbour to get a form filled out and she copped the full story. Original tenant spent 2 days sleeping in their car and had to pay big rent in the next place.

not to mention the place i lived in with 2 teenage girls who screamed non stop, dumb as fcuk and spent 12 hours a day watching tv. Fat fcuks.

another house, lads there thought it was great craic to drink until they couldnt stand and the first to drop got a facefull from the fire extinguisher.

another place fcukers wouldnt chip in for oil, so cold that winter that my toothpaste used to freeze.

another place 3 eastern european girls wouldnt talk to anyone else (7 bed house).

another place one of the lads used to let his alcoholic mate crash on the couch 5 nights a week, fcuker liked to shout non stop.

about 2 from 9 years renting havd been good. Looking forward to being able to afford a decent place with normal people and sky sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Formation wrote: »
    Came back after christmas one year and found the landlord coming out of one of the bedrooms with his new son in law.

im hoping he was just showing off his kingdom.

we all moved out 2 weeks later and he didnt get the place rented for about 3 months.

that mistake cost him at least E3,375.

another house the landlady never came to the place and the original tenant collect the rent and passed it on to the landlady who didnt know that the lineup had changed and the tenant had been overcharging each of us (still cheap enough) and had converted the dining room into another bedroom. We got kicked out within a week when one of the lads got the landladys number from a neighbour to get a form filled out and she copped the full story. Original tenant spent 2 days sleeping in their car and had to pay big rent in the next place.

not to mention the place i lived in with 2 teenage girls who screamed non stop, dumb as fcuk and spent 12 hours a day watching tv. Fat fcuks.

another house, lads there thought it was great craic to drink until they couldnt stand and the first to drop got a facefull from the fire extinguisher.

another place fcukers wouldnt chip in for oil, so cold that winter that my toothpaste used to freeze.

another place 3 eastern european girls wouldnt talk to anyone else (7 bed house).

another place one of the lads used to let his alcoholic mate crash on the couch 5 nights a week, fcuker liked to shout non stop.

about 2 from 9 years renting havd been good. Looking forward to being able to afford a decent place with normal people and sky sports.

Formation - with all that bad luck, did you ever think that it was you that was the center of the problem? Maybe they hated you and tried to force you out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I'd rather live in a tiny studio and have no money than house-share and I'd never ever share in an owner-occupied place, I couldn't relax. I'm an anti-social ****er though. My landlady is great, never met her and I've just signed the lease to stay on for another year. If something is broken then she'll call someone out to fix it right away and other than that we have no contact and she's never wanted to visit. It suits me quite well.

Rented a place from a little old lady who lived on the same road and I swear spent her entire day staring at our place. We had a big group of people over after church (back in my Christian days) and over she comes, asking us what was going on.... we were having heating oil delivered, so I open the garage door... over she comes... we were moving furniture around in the garage to make room for some more... over she comes. Drove me mental. Also had a habit of letting herself into the house to "check for post". Came over with ridiculous questions sometimes, but I think she was just bored. Liked to "Have a look round", which included looking into the bedrooms (just looking in). We tolerated her cause she was about 87 and had nothing better to do.

After I moved out it was months before I would answer a call from a private number without freaking out, six months after I moved out she was still calling with really dumb questions, like when did we last cut the grass, was it before or after Christmas? Did we cancel the bins? No she wasn't senile, she was aware we weren't living there!

Would NOT put up with what you are describing OP!

renting anywhere is always an experience.

when I first moved to Dublin to work I rang a place in Phibsboro and the guy immediately started making accusations that I would be partying all night.

Beware of the landlord who does not register the property. the notion of getting the security deposit from the guy moving out, which means you will have to find someone for the room when moving out, is for the birds.

some owner occupied homes want someone to help pay the mortgage but do not really want someone living in the house.

I contact the landlord if there is a problem. otherwise you should not really see them.

I haven't seen my landlord since I moved in 10 months ago.

thats the way it should be.

i lived in a gaff once and the two lads did not pay rent for two months before he noticed. some landlords just want the money and do not invest in the property at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Always had good renting experiences becasue I'd go through a letting agent. They are the point of contact between you and the landlord so there's no hassle and have never had a landlord want to come round to look at the property.

Much better than dealing direct with a landlord and to be honest not that much more expensive.

tmc86 wrote: »
    Always had good renting experiences becasue I'd go through a letting agent. They are the point of contact between you and the landlord so there's no hassle and have never had a landlord want to come round to look at the property.

Much better than dealing direct with a landlord and to be honest not that much more expensive.

not always efficient. i lived in a place once where the alarm would go off in the middle of the night. the letting agent was right beside the flat. they would say everything was normal but it would go off again maybe a month later.

I had a parking space and a parking disc but no car. the disc ran out and they never sent me the new one so when I had the visitor they got clamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rented in Galway, landlord owned several houses

He gave me a bank account to lodge money into so I did and he rang me up and fúcked me out of it for using the wrong account. :(:mad:
    How was that my fault?

He owned the house next door, a few sound lads signed a years lease and one month later the landlord sold the property. This was boom times so you could sell a house very quickly.
    Lads told to leave and make new plans, not nice. Legal yeah but bad planning or just a nasty thing to do

I was renting monthly so I gave a months notice and because it was around mid month he said he'd only let me leave at the end of the month so 6 weeks notice. Took a lot of hassle to get him to back down

Only met him once, drove some outragously top of the range BMW, probably 60k or above, fat bastid

• Advertisement
Advertisement