Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shared houses, landlords and housemates

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Lived in a flat where the landlord lived in the house above us. You could hear their washing machine constantly going, as well as their phone ringing but that never really bothered us.

But they used to bang on our door if our TV was too loud (I'm talking normal listening volume here, far from loud) or if we were talking too loudly that "it sounded like a party". This would all happen before 9pm, mind.

When we left, they wouldn't give us each of our €200 deposit back (3 of us lived there, so they held onto €600) because 2 piss-poor cheap chairs were broken (chairs you had in an old primary school, tiny yokes) and a towel rack had fallen off the wall (was held on by blu-tack). The guys who lived there before us were electricians and re-wired all the plugs in the house to not work and used the ironing board as a skateboard, yet we were supposedly the worst they ever had.

The other 2 just accepted it but I threatened court and got my deposit back immediately :pac:

Oh, and that housemate who tried to kill me last year, I suppose......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the issue of getting the deposit back is a difficult one. i never hand back the keys until I get the cash. I know some non national friends of mine left and were told the deposit would be paid into their accounts but that never happened. I always think to myself if I do not get the deposit back I will trash the gaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I had a landlord once out in County Limerick. He seemed nice and all at first, he would come around and cut grass and all that.

It got a bit weird then, see it was a big house with a big garden and all, which i actually liked to cut and clean, but at the weekend as i worked till half six most nights during the week, then got home for food and kid time.

he used to come by at like half nine and start up the mower, and once i told him my daughter was asleep he said,"well if you did it when it got high i would not have to". the grass was cut every week. without fail.

He used to also store stuff in a garage at the back, as the house was the old family home. that was grand, but some mornings he would be there getting his golf clubs or something at like six in the morning, and not being quiet about it.

used to give out about the dog going into fields, even though he would not put up a fence like he had said at the start of the tenancy. also gave out about dog hairs, even though carets were old and i also owned an industrial carpet cleaner.

worst was though that one morning he had himself, son and a maintenance man walking around the house at half six morning time. my misses was just out of shower in bedroom, curtains open cause it was the country. there was the 3 of them out in the garden staring in. needless to say i told him we were off.

then tried to get a solicitor on to me, that i left no oil in tank, despite a receipt for 600 euro worth. that i never paid rent, as it went to his company account, not his private one. that i left the carpets and all filthy and covered in dog ****. now with a 3 year old in tow and all, i actually re-carpeted 2 rooms as they were terrible and very old carpets.

he then turned up to my fathers work place to make accusations that i used the very full garage to grow weed, in front of all my fathers staff.

Needless to say i had words, and his lovely son who tried to hit me was on the ass end of an ass kicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Fuinseog wrote: »
    not always efficient. i lived in a place once where the alarm would go off in the middle of the night. the letting agent was right beside the flat. they would say everything was normal but it would go off again maybe a month later.

I had a parking space and a parking disc but no car. the disc ran out and they never sent me the new one so when I had the visitor they got clamped.

My point was within the context of the OP's situation regarding landlord's coming round to the property. I never said that you still wouldn't encounter other problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I stopped house sharing after I found one mental housemate pissing in the milk. She said she was leaving the house a few days earlier, we were delighted. On her last night she got hammered and did a lot of damage. Dont have time for the full story so heres a few clangers:

1) Said she had cancer, she didnt. Even got me to pick her up from hospital one day from "chemo"
    2) Pissed in our milk
    3) Tried to drug me
    4) She is a nurse in a pediatric ward, when the gardai came they found a lot of prescription medicine stolen from the hospital
    5) Poisoned my dog (cant prove it but dog became violently ill after her episode)
    6) Stole from our rooms
    7) Pissed in one roommates bed
    8) Pin burst a whole load of condoms
    9) Told us she was in Riverdance - like how i put this at the end like its the worst? Its not but I just remembered it at the end.

Horrible whole story, terrible to know that she is still out there working for a hospital somewhere. In the end, when I caught her pissing in the milk I called the gardai. She got into bed, hammered and by the time they arrived she had passed out. The ambulance came and took her away, when they went through the room they found drugs which would not have been given to her - including one prescription drug not allowed in Ireland. I asked the gardai to follow up, they fobbed me off. When she came back the next day I had all of her stuff in bags in the snow in the garden.

Till the day I die, I will make sure that she doesn't work in a hospital I (or anyone close to me) is admitted to. Dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

engrish? wrote: »
    3) Tried to drug me
    8) Pin burst a whole load of condoms

:eek: Jesus! You'd be able to get over the other stuff but this is completely insane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

bit of fun she must have been when she got going.

Advertisement